Afghan Presidential Elections 5th April 2014

F

Flash Back

Afghan presidential election, 2014 - Wiki

First political exchanges i think:

Two Afghan election campaigners working for presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah have been shot dead in the western city of Herat.

The shootings took place the day before campaigning officially starts for the 5 April vote.
Local TV reports said gunmen attacked the two as they left a campaign office.
Abdullah Abdullah was the runner-up in the disputed election of 2009 to President Karzai, who cannot stand this time.

Edit: Not first exchange - that was a week ago. Afghan bomber targets vice president hopeful
]Mohammad Ismail Khan, a running mate of warlord Abdul Rasul Sayyaf, survives attempted assassination in Herat City.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
isn't the other fella really greg dyke?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
but how does he stand on the issue of too many forn players in the premier league?

F

Flash Back

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/02/19/351407/afghan-candidate-survives-taliban-attack/

The Taliban have claimed responsibility for an attack on the convoy of Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah in Kabul province.

The deadly attack occurred in the Surobi district of Kabul on Wednesday evening as Abdullah was returning from a campaign rally in the troubled eastern Nangharhar Province.

A Taliban spokesman claimed that three of Abdullah’s bodyguards were killed and several others injured in the assault.

ACAB

LE
OOh, Afghan Elections, another excuse for a blood bath!

F

Flash Back

Another campaigner of Dr. Abdullah Abdullah died following an explosion
The incident took place late Friday in Almar district following an improvised explosive device (IED) explosion.

Unknown gunmen shot dead two campaigners of Dr. Abdullah Abdullah at the beginning of election campaign in western Herat province of Afghanistan.

Another campaigner of Dr. Abdullah Abdullah was killed earlier in February in northern Sar-e-Pul province of Afghanistan.

Dr. Abdullah Abdullah is one of the 11 candidates for the upcoming presidential elections.
Doc Abdullah II has pledged to sign the ISAF Security Agreement if elected
Those campaigners must have balls of steel

simbo

LE
Vote for me- I have a friendly flip flopping warlord as my running mate. (and don't forget to give me millions in cash)

Seems to have gone quite well all things considered. A great disappointment to all the prophets of doom.

Chances are we will need a re-run in about a month which could be a challenge.

F

Flash Back

Seems to have gone quite well all things considered. A great disappointment to all the prophets of doom.

Chances are we will need a re-run in about a month which could be a challenge.
Aye, thankfully peaceful.

I've already seen the result and it wasn't my man Abdul Sayyaf.

Run-off to come between to 2 guys with about 40% each (you need 50% plus for a straight victory. To run this election they had to shut down Kabul for 36hrs - no traffic in, check point on every junction...

To run this election they had to shut down Kabul for 36hrs - no traffic in, check point on every junction...
So Afghanistan should be ready to run itself in about 150 years then

So Afghanistan should be ready to run itself in about 150 years then
Which in a normal evolutionary timeframe would be about right and would probably beat many of its neighbours and similar Islamic nation states. Most of Africa will in the meantime still be attempting to wipe out each others tribes whilst fighting off disease, famine and hordes of Bono/Geldof descendants

Precious

Old-Salt
I think we have a result:

Rival Afghan candidates sign unity government deal
Rival presidential candidates in Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani, have agreed to form a national unity government.

The announcement was made on Friday by candidate Abdullah Abdullah at a press conference following a two-day meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry.

me: brilliant news if that can hold. Hats off to them.

Precious

Old-Salt
I think we have a result:

Rival Afghan candidates sign unity government deal
Rival presidential candidates in Afghanistan, Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani, have agreed to form a national unity government.

The announcement was made on Friday by candidate Abdullah Abdullah at a press conference following a two-day meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry.

me: brilliant news if that can hold. Hats off to them.
I'm confused. This strikes me as some of the best news to come out of Afghanistan since 2001 and something that would give some meaning to the blood spilt over there, yet no one seems to give a fcuk. Is it just me?

They play happy families each time John Kerry flies into Kabul, and then start backtracking, reneging and fighting 30 seconds after he takes off. This election kerfuffle is FAR from over.

Latest Threads