Afghan: Postive or Negative for Recruiting?

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
Am curious as to whether the current war in Afghanistan is a plus for recruiting - or a minus?

I think it was Kipling who said a small war is the best recruiting sergeant, and I would imagine most soldiers who sign up do so in the expectation of going to war at some point in their careers. Well, there is now a war on, and the chances of serving troops getting into are, I imagine, pretty decent.

Or, is the thought of getting killed or wounded in a real shooting war putting lads off signing up? In the not-too-distant past, those joining the Army could reasonably expect to spend most of their career in training or on peace-keeping missions.

Would be interested to hear the take of any recruiting staff on this issue.

Schaden

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Well at least everyone will know exactly what they're letting themselves in for at present.

roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
Khandahar & Bastion make me feel warm inside, so Yes.
Try Sangin, Musa Qal'eh, Kajaki or Nad Ali see how warm your feeling inside then.
Probably very warm, theres no aircon there.

Well, I'm in the process of selection for entry into the factory (hopefully after my MA, so September next year or January the year after) and I'm well aware that if/when I make it in I'll probably be posted out to Afghanistan.

However, I don't think that it has affected my intention to join at all. It's made certain flaws in the system more apparent (Snatch in Afghanistan, for example) and highlighted the armed forces in the public conciousness, which is all the good, but as a recruiting tool? Perhaps only due to the latter reason. If anything it has affected my application negatively, as my mother has been putting on more pressure for me not to sign up and go into something else such as civil serpentry.

I'm not quite so brimful of incipient mortality that I'm thirsting to get out there, but smart enough to realise that it's probably inevitable. But if it wasn't Afghanistan that it would be somewhere else, probably somewhere less high profile and there's always going to be some element of risk in the armed forces.

BevisRory said:
roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
Try Sangin, Musa Qal'eh, Kajaki or Nad Ali see how warm your feeling inside then.
There disappointing...

Theres just something about those 2 bases I really like, not sure what though...

I can smell a war tourist, PONTI MoFo

roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
That kind of warmth is due to the p1ss running down your leg...

BevisRory said:
roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
There disappointing...

Theres just something about those 2 bases I really like, not sure what though...
What like the points you get far a triple word score in scrabble, and i see 4 bases.

BevisRory said:
roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
There disappointing...

You ever been near them?? I smell Cadet!

ark-angel said:
BevisRory said:
roninxix said:
BevisRory said:
There disappointing...

What like the points you get far a triple word score in scrabble, and i see 4 bases.
I see 6...

Khandahar & Bastion.

And yes Sticky, I am a Cadet.

Postive for recruitment. What the point of joining the army if you dont get to fight?
Negative for retention Mulitple tours in a inhosptible shithole of a country
fighting a war with not enough resources and dubious support backhome
must make another career seem tempting.