Afghan: Postive or Negative for Recruiting?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Andy_S, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Am curious as to whether the current war in Afghanistan is a plus for recruiting - or a minus?

I think it was Kipling who said a small war is the best recruiting sergeant, and I would imagine most soldiers who sign up do so in the expectation of going to war at some point in their careers. Well, there is now a war on, and the chances of serving troops getting into are, I imagine, pretty decent.

Or, is the thought of getting killed or wounded in a real shooting war putting lads off signing up? In the not-too-distant past, those joining the Army could reasonably expect to spend most of their career in training or on peace-keeping missions.

Would be interested to hear the take of any recruiting staff on this issue.
  2. Which daily rag do you work for?
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

This was posed out of curiousity, not as a story pitch....
  4. well im trying to join at the mo,and thats so i can go to afghanistan,does that make me a bad person? :eek:
  5. for myself i want to go out there and do my bit, but i would s**t myself but then training would take over i guess.
  6. Khandahar & Bastion make me feel warm inside, so Yes.
  7. Try Sangin, Musa Qal'eh, Kajaki or Nad Ali see how warm your feeling inside then.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Well at least everyone will know exactly what they're letting themselves in for at present.
  9. spoken like a true remf :wink:
  10. Seconded!
  11. Probably very warm, theres no aircon there.
  12. There disappointing...

Theres just something about those 2 bases I really like, not sure what though...
  13. Well, I'm in the process of selection for entry into the factory (hopefully after my MA, so September next year or January the year after) and I'm well aware that if/when I make it in I'll probably be posted out to Afghanistan.

However, I don't think that it has affected my intention to join at all. It's made certain flaws in the system more apparent (Snatch in Afghanistan, for example) and highlighted the armed forces in the public conciousness, which is all the good, but as a recruiting tool? Perhaps only due to the latter reason. If anything it has affected my application negatively, as my mother has been putting on more pressure for me not to sign up and go into something else such as civil serpentry.

I'm not quite so brimful of incipient mortality that I'm thirsting to get out there, but smart enough to realise that it's probably inevitable. But if it wasn't Afghanistan that it would be somewhere else, probably somewhere less high profile and there's always going to be some element of risk in the armed forces.

14. I can smell a war tourist, PONTI MoFo
  15. Nicely side-stepped but didn't answer his question. Which rag do you work for?