• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Afghan paras reveal private war

Afghan paras reveal private war

BRITISH troops fighting in Afghanistan are to hold a unique exhibition to raise the profile of their fierce war against the Taliban.

Officers and soldiers from 16 Air Assault Brigade, which has led the most dangerous fighting in Helmand province, want the exhibition to show the challenges they face in a war that has so far cost the lives of 59 British servicemen.

The idea for the exhibition, to be held at the National Army Museum in London in August, came from the troops themselves.

They have gathered photographs, mobile phone footage and diary entries from dozens of soldiers on the front line.

They feel the public is too focused on the role of British forces in Iraq, and that the job they are doing in Afghanistan deserves to have a higher profile.

Leah Birch, a spokeswoman for the museum, said: “The exhibition is groundbreaking in that the soldiers themselves will play a pivotal role in the production of content relating to a current conflict.”

The brigade comprises 4,500 troops, mostly paratroopers, who were sent into Helmand in May last year. Over the following three months, elements of the brigade became embroiled in the most intense fighting by British troops since the Korean war more than 50 years ago. They were involved in dozens of bitter battles with the Taliban and faced huge logistical problems.

Brigadier Ed Butler, who commanded the brigade during its six-month tour, later revealed his troops had “come close” to running out of ammunition, food and water because of the problems supplying them. He praised their “phenomenal” performance amid gruelling conditions.

Although the brigade succeeded in chasing the Taliban into the mountains, the insurgents eventually came back to attack five provincial outposts. The paras adopted the controversial strategy of setting up platoon houses – described by some soldiers as “hellholes” – in towns such as Sangin and Musa Qala.

As well as photographs of the troops in action, the exhibition includes moving testimony from soldiers who have lost comrades.

One trooper in the Household Cavalry describes his emotion on hearing that a good friend, Lance Corporal Sean Tansey, had been killed in an accident. “A vehicle fell over and crushed him. He was dead instantly . . . The whole hill was in shock . . . The worst thing was the coffin.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1909811.ece

Needless to say, all ARRSER's should spread the word about this, schools, local media etc.

Its an initiative that comes from the lads themselves so the turn out should be representative of our regard for them.

Trouble with making a film is that no 'civvy' would ever believe it!

Worse than that the disgusting politicians would probably deem it to be propaganda and enforce cuts in the military budgets, cancel equipment orders and court martial a handful of assorted ranks pour encourager les autres

Needless to say, all ARRSER's should spread the word about this, schools, local media etc.

Its an initiative that comes from the lads themselves so the turn out should be representative of our regard for them.
It would make more sense to have this as a travelling exhibition , based on an existing modified recruitment stand to keep the costs down?

PartTimePongo said:

It would make more sense to have this as a travelling exhibition , based on an existing modified recruitment stand to keep the costs down?
Make the suggestion

It's a great museum. It's free so you can go as many times as you like without worrying about entrance fees. There's some great exhibits and it does tell the story of the British army very well.

Boxingmad said:
It's a great museum. It's free so you can go as many times as you like without worrying about entrance fees. There's some great exhibits and it does tell the story of the British army very well.
They also have very good lectures.

The Afghanistan exhibition is to be open for public viewing in time for the school summer holidays. Having been privvy to the build plans i can honestly say that it is gonna be worth a look, as is the rest of the museum of course.

I'm all for it,

Alhough i couldn't possibly quantify it, i'm sure that 90% of the public haven't any idea of what goes on on ops.

Let's face it, the only newsworthy items are fatalities as far as the majority of our press are concerned. PARITY NEEDS TO BE RESTORED.

Perhaps we need our own version of "Comical Ali" to tell us how Iraq was winning during OP Telic to allay all of our own doubts. Unfortunately people like Mandy Mandelson are too busy working on getting brazilians! :wink:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I live up the road so should pop in, every time I pass I recall having dinners and lunches in the hospital when I was younger. Looked at the website and really like the watercolours that they have on it...especially 'Afghanistan: 'MOT team near Sultan Baba Ali Sher', Mazar i Sharif, 2006' has a real feel to it having never been to Afghanistan...

Latest Threads