Afghan outpost called "Hell".

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by adriank999, Jul 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Excuse my ignorance about army matters but I just read a story in the Sun about the Taliban planting ieds at night round the camp.

Why can’t the lads fly a helium filled balloon at night to which is attached a ground facing battery powered wireless night vision camera or infra red camera so they can monitor the night time nefarious activities. An alternative would be to fly the almost silent battery powered model helicopters with camera attached that would allow more mobility?

How do I get a suggestion like this to the right authorities in the MOD?
  2. Seconded wah!!!!
  3. Night flying isn't allowed..... health and safety rules.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

And your not allowed to take pictures of the Taliban as it infringes their civil and religious liberties.
  5. Good idea !!

But, it costs money .....

........ so no, it's not going to happen.
  6. Can't stop them, there's nothing else for them to do, no youth clubs you see!
  7. Try heliograph, semaphore, or carrier pigeon and be applauded for your old-school style.
  8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Although you do seem to be a little bit barking - and this is probably a wind-up (NOT a wah, mongs :roll: ), I'll chip in with some serious help before legging it:

GEMS Suggestion scheme

Right, I'm off again!
  9. Attach infra-red cameras to mortars, with a relay system back to HQ, so you can see if you hit anyone... or not!

Alternatively, hire Iroquois Scouts to look for broken twigs and detect the smell of the enemy IED's underground.
  10. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

Ok If I was flying I must watch out for all those ballons :? ok that could be slight pain in the @ss.
  11. Ah, you need an infra red balloon detection capability.
  12. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm gonna be kind to the poor fool; mate you are somewhat behind the curve on this - the US has used unmanned observation dirigibles in Iraq for some years. They are bringing into theatre their Skycat derivitive by Lockhead, and a dirigible with ground penetrating radar was used for mapping mined areas with some considerable success in the Balkans way back.

I suggest you do a little research first next time.

13. My bold.... MMMmmmm