Afghan Nato supply terminal attacked in Pakistan

PESHAWAR: Suspected militants attacked a Pakistani transport terminal from which supplies are sent to Nato troops in Afghanistan, burning dozens of vehicles and shipping containers, police said.

Rising Taliban attacks have raised doubts about the reliability of critical supply routes through Pakistan, prompting the US and Nato to seek alternatives.

About 40 assailants struck the Pak-Afghan Container Terminal near the northwestern city of Peshawar before dawn Sunday, police and witnesses said.

Mohammad Asif Khan, an assistant to a driver whose truck was parked at the terminal, said armed men scaled the back wall of the compound and tied up the guards.

‘I was hiding in a corner, and I saw them throw petrol bombs and fire rockets and shots at the parked vehicles,’ he said.

Police official Ejaz Khan said the attackers burned dozens of vehicles and shipping containers.

An Associated Press Television News cameraman who visited the depot said the charred wrecks included several Humvees.

It was unclear if the torched supplies were destined for foreign troops in Afghanistan or for the Western-backed Afghan army, which uses similar imported equipment.

Afghan-based US and Nato forces get up to 75 percent of their supplies via routes through Pakistan.
http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...han+nato+supply+terminal+attacked+in+pakistan

Attachments

More...

A Taliban force struck the Bilal terminal on Peshawar's Ring Road early this morning Pakistan time and torched vehicles parked in the lot. Eleven NATO trucks and 13 containers carrying supplies were destroyed in what Geo News described as the latest attack in "a series of increasingly sophisticated raids."

The attack is the sixth such incident in Peshawar in six days. Fourteen NATO trucks and several containers were destroyed in yesterday’s attacks on the Bilal and World Logistic terminals. More than 200 NATO military vehicles and supply trucks were destroyed during three attacks outside of Peshawar on Dec. 7 and 8. More than 230 trucks have been destroyed in the past six days.

The Pakistani government has failed to provide security at the terminals despite three attacks earlier in the week. The government said it would provide troops to guard the NATO convoys in Peshawar, but the Peshawar police and the Frontier Constabulary, a regional police force, both said they lacked the resources to provide security at the 13 truck terminals on the Ring Road.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2008/12/taliban_destroy_nato.php
But if you like that, you'll love this:

Pakistan proposes integration of Taliban into security forces

A senior official in Pakistan's Northwest Frontier Province wants the Taliban to integrate into the security forces in the region where the government ceded to the Taliban's demands to implement sharia, or Islamic Law, and end military operations. The official also described the Swat Taliban leader as a "good human being."

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2009/03/pakistan_proposes_in.php
$5 billion of military aid in part payment to those those who attack the supply terminals.

FFS, I'm just a civvy so will understand being told to bore off but can I just say that I find it disgusting that while ISAF forces are losing men daily (And it always seems to be the British army doing the majority of the fighting thus risking losing people*) nothing is being done to ensure they're getting all the supplies they need, well, bar a bunch of slimey cnuts sitting back watching the dust up and stroking their beards.

I'm sorry but why can't we plonk the Germans there as a static Logistical Defence Force or similar as they seem to be one of the more hand tied groups out there over actively fighting the enemy?

*I am aware that the Canadians, Danes and French have also suffered tragic losses conducting operations, just seems that you guys seem to be taking the most flak out there.

DH24 said:
it always seems to be the British army doing the majority of the fighting thus risking losing people*
*I am aware that the Canadians, Danes and French have also suffered tragic losses conducting operations, just seems that you guys seem to be taking the most flak out there.
maybe its because the British media mainly concentrate on British Forces.

True, I've not kept up fully with who is doing what out there but the theme I pick up from having lurked on here a while is that some aren't doing as much as others. Just seems to me that if a supply terminal isn't being defended adequately it makes sense to take one of the less active contributors to the offensive fighting and stick them into a defensive role rather than relying on a barely friendly nation.

But I'm just a civvy so I'll stop flapping my gums before I make myself look like a complete idiot :)

Latest Threads