Afghan National Army

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by SuperGay, Jun 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Leaving Afghanistan to the ANA in 2015;

I really feel this isn't going to work somehow, they seem like a bunch of kids in the field, I like the bit where the fella gets the magazine shot off his rifle and he turns around and starts laughing, you'd have more luck with the ACF somehow.

2. i wish them lots of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seeing how much heavy FS we needed to be called in to support us during heavy engagements I don't see them having much of that somehow once NATO leaves...

4. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

It'll be fine. It means on past form we dont have to go anywhere near the place for another 160 odd years

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

They will do things their way. They may not be organised as we are, but they're very good fighters - brave to the point of foolhardy sometimes, but it's their Country, they know their way around it, and they'll take care of it. As when the Russians pulled out, as long as the Army is paid and supplied it will fight, and the central Government will stand.

Also, the Talibs aren't going to be as keen to go against fellow muslims as they are against ISAF, and they also know that the restraint, care and consideration that ISAF show as regards proportionate/minimum force, etc, may be a tad lacking in the ANA. In short, they won't be any worse - and probably better - than the army of any of their neighbouring countries, and after a couple of years, once some sort of stability is arrived at, that's really all they need.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'm not sure that NATO is in any position to judge anyone else's chances of winning the war in Afghanistan, are they?

• Like Like x 2
  7. I've read many a story of British troops laughing at near misses and actual casualties, during and after battles. I'm sure many of the members here could recount such tales.

8. They'll bloody well need it.

Rodney2q

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nice one Trigger, that report is from 2007!! And if my mag got shot from my rifle think I'd laugh too; it's called relief that it didn't hit me!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  10. That's what struck me. Losing the air support they were used to buggered the NVA after Congress withdrew it from Vietnam.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Uh I think you mean the ARVN or RVNAF (Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces) as a whole. Their air force, known as the VNAF, was quite a substantial one, including F-5 jet fighters, A-37 light attack aircraft, C-130 transports, Huey and Chinook helicopters and various other types. Granted they didn't have quite the firepower of the USAF and USN but they could have perhaps done better. There was by the later stages of the final battles a lack of spares and ordnance, and to a large degree, something which affected most of South Vietnam's forces, a lack of fighting spirit. Some pilots defected to the NVA after bombing their own side's positions, others flew out the country well before the final surrender. Others fought on bravely to the very end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Air_Force

http://vnafmamn.com/untold_stories.html

From what I've read the Afghan air force only has some helicopters and light aircraft. They really are going to be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Interesting thought from Baboon 6.

I know that the Afghan forces use Mi Mil 17 but do they use the Hind? I ask because I have just watched Charlie Wilson's War and was wondering what effect the lack of Stingers etc would have on the Taliban's ability to shoot down air assets. I read yesterday that Czech engineers will remain in Afghanistan - they were maintaining the helicopters.

Yes, I understand that the Taliban use Dhuskas etc but wonder whether the Afghan Army would be so timid on the Border with Pakistan and seek to close it down with less attention on collateral damage? Helicopters might allow them to attempt this

Not that I know shit btw..

Meanwhile, how will the populace react to the profits to be made from poppy? How will that impact on fighting spirit? The Karen anyone?

13. They do have Hinds, 11 of them, and about 40 Mi-17s:

http://www.firstpost.com/world/why-india-is-concerned-about-supplying-arms-to-afghanistan-800711.html

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Afghan air force learns to fly -- and fix aircraft - Boston.com

Apparently their G222 transports have been withdrawn, and that leaves with half a dozen Cessna 208s for transport duties. There are a similar number of An-32s on strength but not being used. They are also meant to be getting 24 Super Tucano light attack aircraft at some stage (by 2016) but it remains to be seen whether this will actually happen. As always with these types of air forces though the real problem is going to be maintaining these aircraft. Even the rugged Russian types might [edit-will] present a problem- see more in the Boston Herald article.

The First Post is also worth reading in full, covers ANSF arms procurement in general.

I thought most Afghan factions including the Taliban had an interest in the poppy trade.

14. What exactly do the ANA air wing do? I can assure you that widespread rumours that they act as a taxi service for drugs, family members and war-lords with big wallets are most certainly not based in fact.