Afghan Heroes

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Pebbles015, Feb 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

2. Weren't they started by or for Para reg bods?
  3. Yeah, been around a while, from what I've seen they make a few bob in wrist bands worn by troops in Theatre.
  4. Don't know about that, they GAVE me my wrist band in theatre.
    I haven't seen them sold out there.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. Lapsus linguae, I stand corrected. But, suffice to say, they are not 'newbies' on the scene and I have heard nothing adverse about them.
  6. I have had goody boxes from them in the past. Latest ones have been from UK4U - got one here in Jubilee Medal ribbon colours they gave us at Christmas.

7. I've got mine on my desk in front of me. Some half decent stuff in it too!
  8. Thanks lads.

The only reason I brought it up was because I have never heard of them and their approach was somewhat unconventional for street collecting (a touch aggressive)

Typical paras eh? But have to say, fair play, they are getting results in.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. Assuming this is the same Afghan Heros, it seems that they are now under investigation.

Liam Fox has resigned as a patron, stating 'a breakdown of trust'.

Liam Fox quits as patron of Afghan Heroes charity after Charity Commission announces investigation | Bath Chronicle

The Daily Mail is also running with the story.

10. They employ a Blackpool company to do the collecting - Prize Promotions. The collectors are all employed by them. I don't think much of the collected cash ends up with the charity.
    I complained to the charity about an aggressive and ill informed collector and was referred straight away to Prize Promotions.
    Seems to me a well intended idea has gone off track.
    I do have a problem with the proliferation of different charities that all have their overheads and costs.
    If they could be set up under the umbrella of a well established charity I think a better outcome would be possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)