Afghan gunfight: Explosions and firing rock Kabul

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Sep 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC, just heard about this on BBC Radio 5 Live
    An ongoing bomb and gun attack is rocking the centre of the Afghan capital Kabul, with a string of blasts targeting the US embassy and Nato's Isaf headquarters.

A string of loud blasts was heard and insurgents are believed to be holed up in a building in the area.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

It comes weeks after suicide attackers stormed the city's British Council office, killing 12 people.

The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that hours-long attack on 19 August, saying it was to mark the anniversary of Afghanistan's independence from the UK in 1919.
    Co-ordinated attack

Tuesday's violence appears to be a complex attack with a number of suicide bombers involved, says the BBC's Quentin Sommerville in the Afghan capital.

Our correspondent says a number of attackers have taken refuge in a partly-built high-rise building overlooking the area, from where they are coordinating their actions.

He has seen rocket-propelled grenades being fired in the area.

Initial reports suggest at least four suicide bombers have been involved, with one reportedly detonating a suicide vest in a taxi.

As well as housing the US and other foreign embassies, and Nato's Afghan headquarters, the upmarket district is home to a number of government ministry buildings and the presidential palace.

BBC News - Afghan gunfight: Explosions and firing rock Kabul
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Man alive that must be some wedding

On a serious note they're just never gonna give up are they.
  3. Time to leave,,,let the raggy bastards kill them selves.............
  4. 20 years for the Ruskies to realise that.
  5. I quote form the Torygraph:

" Television pictures from near the attack showed a burned out minivan, a bicycle lying in the middle of the street and people running away."

Sounds horrific.
  6. Sounds like Liverpool.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Not that bad, shurely.

I hope Terry blows up the Italians' pizza oven and the Dutch soldiers 10ft high, wooden windmill.
  8. Was Rhys Jones found lying on the floor?
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Wrong, I'm afraid. We've been there now longer than the Sovs were.
  10. True, the Soviets managed 9 years. Homos
  11. I wonder how long we would have lasted if someone had been feeding them stingers?

Actually that wouldn't matter as we never had enough helicopters anyway :)
  12. if it was liverpool someone would've nicked that bicycle
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

afghan tet?
  14. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

bbc guy has scrounged an SF braincap
  15. yep, thats what i thought, wonder if it will have the same effect..?