Afghan gunfight: Explosions and firing rock Kabul

BBC, just heard about this on BBC Radio 5 Live
An ongoing bomb and gun attack is rocking the centre of the Afghan capital Kabul, with a string of blasts targeting the US embassy and Nato's Isaf headquarters.

A string of loud blasts was heard and insurgents are believed to be holed up in a building in the area.

The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

It comes weeks after suicide attackers stormed the city's British Council office, killing 12 people.

The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that hours-long attack on 19 August, saying it was to mark the anniversary of Afghanistan's independence from the UK in 1919.
Co-ordinated attack

Tuesday's violence appears to be a complex attack with a number of suicide bombers involved, says the BBC's Quentin Sommerville in the Afghan capital.

Our correspondent says a number of attackers have taken refuge in a partly-built high-rise building overlooking the area, from where they are coordinating their actions.

He has seen rocket-propelled grenades being fired in the area.

Initial reports suggest at least four suicide bombers have been involved, with one reportedly detonating a suicide vest in a taxi.

As well as housing the US and other foreign embassies, and Nato's Afghan headquarters, the upmarket district is home to a number of government ministry buildings and the presidential palace.

BBC News - Afghan gunfight: Explosions and firing rock Kabul

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Man alive that must be some wedding

On a serious note they're just never gonna give up are they.

Time to leave,,,let the raggy bastards kill them selves.............

I quote form the Torygraph:

" Television pictures from near the attack showed a burned out minivan, a bicycle lying in the middle of the street and people running away."

Sounds horrific.

I quote form the Torygraph:

" Television pictures from near the attack showed a burned out minivan, a bicycle lying in the middle of the street and people running away."

Sounds horrific.
Sounds like Liverpool.

Sounds like Liverpool.
Not that bad, shurely.

I hope Terry blows up the Italians' pizza oven and the Dutch soldiers 10ft high, wooden windmill.

True, the Soviets managed 9 years. Homos
I wonder how long we would have lasted if someone had been feeding them stingers?

Actually that wouldn't matter as we never had enough helicopters anyway :)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
afghan tet?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
bbc guy has scrounged an SF braincap

I have to say, my first thought was 'Tet' as well. Whether or not it has any military effect, it shows the security situation to be dire under the Karzai government.

The PR announcements coming out of ISAF/NATO that I've heard have been full of "NATO and Afghan soldiers fighting side by side"-type pronouncements, which frankly sounds like the kind of desperate la-la-lah propaganda you find on German newsreels circa 1944 or 'Now That's What I Call Baghdad Bob'.

I have to say, my first thought was 'Tet' as well. Whether or not it has any military effect, it shows the security situation to be dire under the Karzai government.

The PR announcements coming out of ISAF/NATO that I've heard have been full of "NATO and Afghan soldiers fighting side by side"-type pronouncements, which frankly sounds like the kind of desperate la-la-lah propaganda you find on German newsreels circa 1944 or 'Now That's What I Call Baghdad Bob'.
Afghan helicopters working alongside US apaches to pound the **** out of taliban.

ANP, Afghan SF, US Marines and Mongolian soldiers also blasting away at Terry with no reported blue on blues

7x Taliban who achieved their aim - of dying for the cause!

No serious damage or breach of perimeter - seems like a good result to me!

If Terry is determined to attack us, the ANSF or government they will do so. If we exact a heavy cost on them , we will be doing well.

There will be plenty of failures for the critics to celebrate, however yesterday wasn't one of them!

On NightWatch
Afghanistan: Special comment: The details of the five-hour complex attack in Kabul have been reported all day. An extremely knowledgeable, well-informed and brilliant Reader provided feedback that most of the news coverage is factually wrong, but NightWatch will provide more details as its sources clarify them.

Particularly misleading among the media comments are those that posit that the Taliban sent a signal or that the attack is part of the propaganda struggle. Those comments trivialize the Taliban achievement of destroying the security bubble associated with the most sensitive Coalition buildings in Kabul.

The media comments are comparable to describing the 1968 Tet offensive in South Vietnam as a tactical failure. That statement is accurate, but it is simply irrelevant. The Tet offensive in South Vietnam won the political and psychological war. It was a strategic victory, enabled by the military sacrifices..

Three major Taliban attacks have taken place in Kabul this summer. To characterize them as part of a public relations contest or signal-sending is to miss the point entirely. One such attack is a perhaps good fortune. A second might have been a coincidence, but three is a strategic trend.

Violent instability is always centripetal - it seeks the center of power. The images of the Coalition and Afghan forces fighting to defend themselves in Kabul mean the insurgency has reached the center of power. The small casualty count only means that the Taliban cannot yet seize power in Kabul. But if the Coalition were winning, these attacks should never have taken place at all. Kabul of all places should be kept secure, if the lessons of Tet 1968 had been learned.

The attacks signify that the Taliban have crossed a strategic threshold. The Afghans know the Coalition cannot guarantee their protection because the Coalition cannot be confident of its ability to protect its own soldiers and complexes. It does no lasting good to keep Helmand Province secure for a while, but repeatedly suffer these kinds of attacks in Kabul.
I don't think this is comparable to Tet, Tet was an immense operation with multiple targets hit simultaneously by the NLF all over the country. In Saigon C-10 was sent in to seize and hold key installations, hoping to trigger an uprising.

The crucial about Tet was that it was not that it failed to achieve Giap's short term objectives but that it was tried at all. Westmorland's command looked incompetent, tried to spin it's way out of it and they lost all credibility. The shocked US media reaction was understandable, here that has been pretty muted.

This was bad enough, clearly Kabul is vulnerable but it was not a grand coup de main but another modestly scaled suicide attack on the capital probably by the Haqqanis, i.e. Pindi's VC. Makes you wonder if they might try something like Tet though as they feel a possible end game approaching.

Afghan helicopters working alongside US apaches to pound the **** out of taliban.

ANP, Afghan SF, US Marines and Mongolian soldiers also blasting away at Terry with no reported blue on blues

If Terry is determined to attack us, the ANSF or government they will do so. If we exact a heavy cost on them , we will be doing well.

There will be plenty of failures for the critics to celebrate, however yesterday wasn't one of them!
They have won the war you muppet!

I don't doubt that as the last man out of Kabul climbs the ladder to the last helicopter off the roof of the embassy, he'll console himself with the thought that ISAF forces were never beaten in battle.