Afghan First Tour - Some NIG Questions

#1
OK. My first post so here goes.

I am office-based CSS usually but have just been warned off for a tour starting sharpish. Basically I am embedding with an Inf Coy in a FOB and will be patrolling and such like. Spending a lot of time in the Green Zone I have been told. Good fun. :)

Now the questions, since I have never even wore Osprey before.

1. Is belt kit better than a chest rig? I see a lot of posts about Molle etc.

2. Life in the FOB, I am not expecting laptop chargers etc but is there any little items I can take to make life easier?

3. Any bits of kit I should buy to make patrolling/tabbing easier or is the new issue all you need? Knee Pads for instance or gloves.

4. Contact lenses. I wear em, disposable dailies. Anyone else do this or do I need my Joe 90 gigs on?

This isn't a WAH, it's my first time and I just want to know the opinions of guys who have been there and done it when I have not been anywhere even near it. I am more f*cking nervous about looking a mong than actually going to Herrick!! :D

Cheers all.
 
#2
Do you know what FOB?
 
#4
In my experience;
You can forget packing loads of kit into webbing to go on patrol as folks tend to on Ex in the UK. You will be carrying minimal kit as you will have Osprey, water, ammo and it is likely that you will be carrying 'other' bits of kit on your back. All this tripe about boot cleaning kits and spare socks- forget it. A man bag is good for veh based ops, otherwise most bits will be attached direct to your BA.
Contact lenses- I wore them for my whole time and had no problems but daily disposables are the way to go owing to the risk of infection. Take your specs and get the inserts for your issue sunnies/ goggles.
Before you splash out on kit i would wait to see what you get issued ie you will get gloves and knee pads (which are now better than the old ones)
 
#5
Just read your PM and I wonder if this has come about due to the recomendations that happend when a mini-audit was carried out on Herrick 8. I've mentioned it before on other threads about freeing up more of the infantry. There were clerks in all the FOBs I went to, I don't know if they went out on patrol with the infantry I certainly wasnt allowed out of the front gates due to being nowhere near the standard required. If you havn't done any training with the infantry I doubt you will be let out either.
 
#7
That should have been sorted out a long, long time ago mate, you shouldn't need to ask for it now!
 
#9
REMFQuestions said:
Appreciated 762 - that's pretty much all I needed to know.

Issued lenses for the ballistic sunglasses? I will ask my QM for them to.
No worries, you will need a copy of your prescription handy.

To expand a bit- I bought a set of molle type webbing designed to go under Osprey and it accepted the pouches you get issued with the assault vest. It was a great bit of kit, but after the first few patrols It was only used to carry A2 mags and phos. I didnt like too much on my Osprey, just a torch, leatherman, Sig and med pouch.
 
#11
I can recommend packing a hammock to make life easier. In the summer you will sweat like a pig on a camp cot. I got a Gelert one for about £5 or £10, much nicer if resting in the day.
I took to smoking a pipe too, to pass the time. Cherry and vanilla was the prefered baccy. But that is personal choice.
 
#12
762 if I get to camp and unfurl my hammock...I can see it now..

"What the F*CK is that!!!"
"It's a hammock boss.."
"This isn't the Maldives son - get your roll mat on the deck and like it"
 
#13
stacker1 said:
Just read your PM and I wonder if this has come about due to the recomendations that happend when a mini-audit was carried out on Herrick 8. I've mentioned it before on other threads about freeing up more of the infantry. There were clerks in all the FOBs I went to, I don't know if they went out on patrol with the infantry I certainly wasnt allowed out of the front gates due to being nowhere near the standard required. If you havn't done any training with the infantry I doubt you will be let out either.
Staker1; this must have a changed a bit then since Telic also as we had clerks & other attached arms with us on mobile/eagle & ft patrols regulary quite often :?

that was back in 2003 & I fully understand circumstances change continuously.
 
#15
beemer007 said:
Staker1; this must have a changed a bit then since Telic also as we had clerks & other attached arms with us on mobile/eagle & ft patrols regulary quite often :?

that was back in 2003 & I fully understand circumstances change continuously.
I was there as well (out of my depth) but that might have been needs be, if the attached arms were trained up then I don't suppose there would be much of a problem anyway.
I asked to be a stretcher bearer (a job that no longer exists) for the Royal Irish on Herrick 8, after they stopped laughing they politely pointed out I would be a massive liability as they would have no idea what my drills were like, they did offer to train me up but I was only paying a flying visit not based there.
 
#16
stacker1 said:
beemer007 said:
Staker1; this must have a changed a bit then since Telic also as we had clerks & other attached arms with us on mobile/eagle & ft patrols regulary quite often :?

that was back in 2003 & I fully understand circumstances change continuously.
I was there as well (out of my depth) but that might have been needs be, if the attached arms were trained up then I don't suppose there would be much of a problem anyway.
I asked to be a stretcher bearer (a job that no longer exists) for the Royal Irish on Herrick 8, after they stopped laughing they politely pointed out I would be a massive liability as they would have no idea what my drills were like, they did offer to train me up but I was only paying a flying visit not based there.
Fair enough, a valid point.
 
#17
get your boots broken in quickly!!

Especially if its them bloody Meindl ones- i hate them fecking things ,they were the worst boots i have ever used . They have stitching in the heels which rubs and rubs .

two tours with those pieces of shiite, i used old ones which hurt less i ended up giving new ones to the lecs! probably joined taliban now lols :evil:
 
#18
whatnow? said:
get your boots broken in quickly!!

Especially if its them bloody Meindl ones- i hate them fecking things ,they were the worst boots i have ever used . They have stitching in the heels which rubs and rubs .

two tours with those pieces of shiite, i used old ones which hurt less i ended up giving new ones to the lecs! probably joined taliban now lols :evil:
I agree with your first statement,

I've used the 1st issued boots & I actually managed to pick up a pair of Meindl for £3 8O at a car boot last year (damn sure the seller had no idea what they were) for other purposes IMO: the Meindl was a superior boot, however it's down to perosnal choice I guess :)

Lydd will give the best advice for all personnel irrespective of infantry or other attached arms as guys & gals have informed me :)
 
#19
REMFQuestions said:
OK. My first post so here goes.

I am office-based CSS usually but have just been warned off for a tour starting sharpish. Basically I am embedding with an Inf Coy in a FOB and will be patrolling and such like. Spending a lot of time in the Green Zone I have been told. Good fun. :)

Now the questions, since I have never even wore Osprey before.

1. Is belt kit better than a chest rig? I see a lot of posts about Molle etc.

2. Life in the FOB, I am not expecting laptop chargers etc but is there any little items I can take to make life easier?

3. Any bits of kit I should buy to make patrolling/tabbing easier or is the new issue all you need? Knee Pads for instance or gloves.

4. Contact lenses. I wear em, disposable dailies. Anyone else do this or do I need my Joe 90 gigs on?

This isn't a WAH, it's my first time and I just want to know the opinions of guys who have been there and done it when I have not been anywhere even near it. I am more f*cking nervous about looking a mong than actually going to Herrick!! :D

Cheers all.
This might sound shoite, but make sure your fit enough to wear osprey.

I remember starting telic 8 and thinking I was sorted with my ECBA, then all of a sudden 'osprey' gets pulled out of the bag. Was a bit of a ball ache.

Herrick seems like a lot more footwork than Telic so Id suggest getting a bit of phys in, load carrying tabbing etc especially if your in an infantry role.
 
#20
Ref fitness: I am actually quite worried about that. CFT weight for me is only 11KG plus weapon and we never train with more.

I am a big lad though and am sure I can hack the weight but my endurance my be a bit off.

If anyone has got any beat up training plans (or knows a link to one) so I can train on my own, plenty of hills around here then I would appreciate that to.

Ref boots: Are you saying ot bin off the issued Meindls and buy your own? I have never had a problem with boots in the past.

[hr]

On a side note...is your Sig quote right?

Surely poor mismanagement would end up being good management?
Isn't the line 'poor management'?
 

Similar threads

Top