Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets face it half the offensive missions ISAF did with the ANA, no sorry 3/4 of the offensive missions were Coalition driven. And we all know that you had to deploy twice the amount of log effort not for your own forces but to get the Afghans out of the gate with fuel/ammo/food etc because what was provided previously was re-allocated...read stolen...elsewhere.

Lets face it half the offensive missions ISAF did with the ANA, no sorry 3/4 of the offensive missions were Coalition driven. And we all know that you had to deploy twice the amount of log effort not for your own forces but to get the Afghans out of the gate with fuel/ammo/food etc because what was provided previously was re-allocated...read stolen...elsewhere.
A lot of chickens are coming home to roost at the moment.

Dying for a Corrupt Kabul nets you a grave and likely a pension that is stolen by the state. At least the other side promises you heaven, or freedom from foreign influence to motivate its side. In those places, I think many soldiers rightly have one eye firmly on retirement and stealing is a perfectly reasonable line of thinking for someone who is serving a cause they're don't really believe in and a determination to put something aside is actually a moral good if you have a family as well to provide for.

Dying for a Corrupt Kabul nets you a grave and likely a pension that is stolen by the state. At least the other side promises you heaven, or freedom from foreign influence to motivate its side. In those places, I think many soldiers rightly have one eye firmly on retirement and stealing is a perfectly reasonable line of thinking for someone who is serving a cause they're don't really believe in and a determination to put something aside is actually a moral good if you have a family as well to provide for.
So long as they don't think they have an option to flee to Europe and start crying for asylum. The begging habit will be somewhat ingrained after twenty years.

Poppycock

War Hero
Some more of the same except it looks like some Afghan SF mixed in with those surrendering

After putting down their weapons the 'POWs' are asked to park all their vehicles in a straight line

If the Afghan War ends like this after what we've done for the last 20yrs, surely it'll bury NATO?

p.s. NATO are so desperate for a reason for being that they even spoke about them fighting climate change at the recent conference. They tweeted about it, I shit you not, fighting climate change

Some more of the same except it looks like some Afghan SF mixed in with those surrendering

After putting down their weapons the 'POWs' are asked to park all their vehicles in a straight line

If the Afghan War ends like this after what we've done for the last 20yrs, surely it'll bury NATO?

p.s. NATO are so desperate for a reason for being that they even spoke about them fighting climate change at the recent conference. They tweeted about it, I shit you not, fighting climate change
Personally; I blame the UN, Media and the myriad of aid agencies who push and prod governments into providing protection for its do good missions and the military as you say, is constantly searching for relevance and foolishly accepted the job of securing the peace.

Where the military are entirely culpable is trying to create mini-me clones of itself on lavish budgets and if the Kabul Government can't secure its country with what it can afford itself, then that should have forced a rethink our side.

Fighting climate change one tweet at a time, not that hard a job really

Poppycock

War Hero
A couple of points:

1. That ******* journalist loves Wars; she's desperate to keep this one going
2. Doesn't CENTCOM Commander Gen. Kenneth Frank McKenzie look like that Philip Seymour Hoffman actor fella that died in 2014?

Amrullah Saleh's twitter account is interesting at the moment, basically what a spook throwing his toys out of the pram would sound if like tweeting: https://twitter.com/AmrullahSaleh2

Hoffman:
Philip-Seymour-Hoffman-.jpg

Poppycock

War Hero
One can bearly keep abreast of matters they're moving so fast:
Turkey will not send additional troops to Afghanistan as part of a plan to run and secure Kabul's airport following the U.S. and NATO pullout from the country, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.

Who thinks Karzai & Double Abdullah's visit to Washington on Friday might actually be the US's leaving ceremony, held state side for obvious security reasons?

As said before, Turks are just positioning themselves as the so-called "good guys". They know they would get their backsides kicked if they decided to do the job of securing the airport on their own properly.

As said before, Turks are just positioning themselves as the so-called "good guys". They know they would get their backsides kicked if they decided to do the job of securing the airport on their own properly.
To properly secure an Airport requires at least a Divisional sized force to picket every mound of dirt. With at least a fourth regiment for mobile operations to degrade an enemy from closing in too closely.. I think the Turks are simply not daft and know what their doing.

To properly secure an Airport requires at least a Divisional sized force to picket every mound of dirt. With at least a fourth regiment for mobile operations to degrade an enemy from closing in too closely.. I think the Turks are simply not daft and know what their doing.
You been to HKIA then....in fact ill ask you been to Afghanistan?

One can bearly keep abreast of matters they're moving so fast:

Who thinks Karzai & Double Abdullah's visit to Washington on Friday might actually be the US's leaving ceremony, held state side for obvious security reasons?
Could be many things.

My take -
  • Privately: Ghani will get told to get peace together or risk losing all funding. He has a very small window of opportunity to act. He'll be threatened with US embassy closing down (and once they go they all go).
  • Publicly: It'll be about US commitment and an enduring partnership. Pressure on Pakistan yada yada. Continued funding, support to ANDSF etc., etc.

Ghani, Saleh et al will come back like dogs with two dicks and disregard anything the US has said, because, well, you know, they know better, and the US wouldn't dare pull funding...would they?

Oh, (personal opinion) I think the US withdrawal is a lot closer to be completed than many think. I'm talking a couple of weeks here.

Large bases are closing with barely a mention outside of the country. Of course COVID and who will UEFA bring in to watch the Final are the pressing issues in the MSM. Large amounts of contractors and the like are leaving in droves and whilst everyone likes to think its a military mission, without them the machine stops very quickly.

Rather think a Guards company was dug in at Nicosia airport. There were a lot of very twitchy people on the Island at the time, Dad was the MS in Episkopi reporting to Air Marshall Sir John Aitken who was CinC and on permanent speed dial to London.
Talk about a powder keg, and in the Episkopi SBA we had the Royal Scots who had just finished a residential tour in NI looking for an R&R posting and all they got was putting up acres of tents, sangers, barbed wire fencing and vehicle escourts of mile upon mile of vans and lorries heading north.

You been to HKIA then....in fact ill ask you been to Afghanistan?
The threat is growing and when the Taliban start operating in Regimental Strength again and besieging cities and airports again. You will find it takes a Divisional Sized force to prevent an enemy putting down fire on a runway.

The threat is growing and when the Taliban start operating in Regimental Strength again and besieging cities and airports again. You will find it takes a Divisional Sized force to prevent an enemy putting down fire on a runway.
Not disputing your requirement to guard airfields....but having had 6000+ in BASTION in 2012 and 15 Taliban managed to put a lot more than fire on the runway then someone was not reading the Book Of Guarding Long Runways....i know as i was there that night!
My query was really aimed at your statement "I think the Turks are simply not daft and know what their doing."? You see I get around a bit and i was also in HKIA when it was attacked by Taliban (I may bring bad luck to wherever i go!) which lasted over 5 hours and guess who was responsible for guarding the airfield then? And just to add to the Turks expertise comment....
turk.jpg

Looked for some UK CH2 tanks taken out by an enemy force...couldn't find any.

Poppycock

War Hero
Oh, (personal opinion) I think the US withdrawal is a lot closer to be completed than many think. I'm talking a couple of weeks here.
Two weeks? I said by 28 June in the sweep stake

28th June ties in with my theory that Biden is going to keep Ghani & Abdullah hostage in Washington over the weekend, until the last NATO wheels are up, up & away from Kabul come Monday morning (the 28th).

They'll probably nuke the place from space after that, just to be sure, before occupying all news with transgender Olympic weightlifters & Brittany Spears updates, like the last 20yrs didn't happen.

Last edited:
Not disputing your requirement to guard airfields....but having had 6000+ in BASTION in 2012 and 15 Taliban managed to put a lot more than fire on the runway then someone was not reading the Book Of Guarding Long Runways....i know as i was there that night!
My query was really aimed at your statement "I think the Turks are simply not daft and know what their doing."? You see I get around a bit and i was also in HKIA when it was attacked by Taliban (I may bring bad luck to wherever i go!) which lasted over 5 hours and guess who was responsible for guarding the airfield then? And just to add to the Turks expertise comment....
View attachment 583978

Looked for some UK CH2 tanks taken out by an enemy force...couldn't find any.
The Turks like the South Koreans in Vietnam were probably hired Hessians and the moment the US Funding is withdrawn from Kabul, they're will scuttle and the airport will have to defend itself.

The Russians managed to guard the airports in afghan by posting its armour at pre-determined distances and I suppose a static old Tank in Berm every 3-500 metres with a special forces to sweep the hills you could maybe cut the size of defender to a short Division.

Status
Not open for further replies.