Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppycock

War Hero
Nowt new, just an adorable video of that rascal Marshal Dostum

20 years and these fools cannot be trusted to secure their airport.
I think we've got to ask ourselves who the real fools were: those of us that deployed to a dusty shit hole on a fools mission or them that have said "**** this for a game of soldiers" as soon as the NATO gravy train left the station

Falling like dominoes.
That's mind blowing

Turks making a big thing about running HKIA but with US money (mmm!?!??!) once everyone leaves. Turks were only there for their own gain.....are they still saying they have x amount Blackhawks deployed including the one under the tarpaulin which crashed a few years ago?

But, but ...

'President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday said Turkey would be the "only reliable" country left to stabilise Afghanistan after the US pulls out its troops, indicating Washington could rely on its NATO ally.

'Erdogan also said he would discuss the issue in his first face-to-face meeting with US President Joe Biden on the margins of a NATO summit in Brussels on Monday, after strained relations between their two countries.

"America is preparing to leave Afghanistan soon and from the moment they leave, the only reliable country to maintain the process over there is obviously Turkey," Erdogan told reporters at an Istanbul airport on Sunday before leaving for Brussels.'

Oh!

'Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday his country would need “diplomatic, logistic and financial assistance” from the United States if it were to maintain troops in Afghanistan to protect and run Kabul’s international airport, following the withdrawal of other NATO troops.

'Speaking to reporters at the end of a series of meetings with NATO leaders on the sidelines of the alliance summit, Erdogan also said Turkey was seeking Pakistan and Hungary’s involvement in a new mission in Afghanistan following the departure of the U.S.-led NATO force.

'Turkey is reported to have offered to guard the airport as questions remain on how security will be assured along major transport routes and at the airport, which is the main gateway to Kabul.'

That's mind blowing
Really?

Business-As-Usual. Afghan-stylee was my reaction, and westerners are fools if they find it surprising.

It's mediaeval behaviour in the digital age.

You don't have to like it, but it's important to remember how long, and how much bloodshed, and - O By The Way - how much of a mindshift - it took to get the English Knobility to a collective mindset that recognised that "There's-shedloads-more-profit-tobe-had-for-all-of-us-Barons'n'Kings-an' that-if-we-gang-up-together -and-quit-feudin" such that English rulers would simply get on with the business (literally, The Business) of building and mainining a massively profitable empire beyond the shores of this little cluster of islands.

Landlocked as it is, with minimal readily accessible natural resources, the chances of Afghanistan making any remotely similar journey seem to me to be very, very, small indeed.

Last edited:
Turkey will hold the US and others to ransom over Afghanistan. "Dont support us in what we ask and it will be your fault it goes to pot". Trouble is they just about manage to guard the place now even with the US and small UK contingent driving around the city providing some sort of deterrent, not that it works.
The only way it will work is because someone is having back room chats with the Taliban to just ignore the airport because lets face it, the Taliban need to fly out and about as well you know.

Poppycock

War Hero
Really?

Business-As-Usual. Afghan-stylee was my reaction, and westerners are fools if they find it surprising.
My mind was blown by how quickly & civilly Afghans are ending the conflict that we spent 20yrs & billions perpetuating. It makes us (NATO) look like a right bunch of muppets.

Dont forget, speak to the average hut dweller outside of Kabul and they just want foreign troops to go....and that includes anyone from elsewhere in the country. Hence their dislike of ANA etc from areas outside of their immediate area. As long as they can grow their crops including the ones that end up on our streets then the Taliban will give them a pittance and life will carry on.

NemoIII

War Hero
Turkey will hold the US and others to ransom over Afghanistan. "Dont support us in what we ask and it will be your fault it goes to pot". Trouble is they just about manage to guard the place now even with the US and small UK contingent driving around the city providing some sort of deterrent, not that it works.
The only way it will work is because someone is having back room chats with the Taliban to just ignore the airport because lets face it, the Taliban need to fly out and about as well you know.

Turkey are hopeless, they aren't even allowed to leave the wire, or they don't seem to ever leave the wire.

Stagging on, being obnoxious, and generally not doing much at all, they use Polish and Georgians for the gates and there isn't many sangers. HKIA is absolutely mental the amount of people who just seem to float about.

The QRF for the camp has left, I have no idea who is doing that now. Least loads of nations provide IMP so they can threaten to lock up tactical vehicles for not being parked in the correct place (broken down).

Poppycock

War Hero
Gereshk district in Taliban hands this morning, although I'm sure it's too strategically valuable for the ANDSF not to try to take it back

Quite a catchy tune to this video too - anyone know what it's called? A Pashtun version of our "2-World Wars & a World Cup" maybe?

Gereshk district in Taliban hands this morning, although I'm sure it's too strategically valuable for the ANDSF not to try to take it back

Quite a catchy tune to this video too - anyone know what it's called? A Pashtun version of our "2-World Wars & a World Cup" maybe?
Thats horribly sad, theres 2.5 pints of AB pos on a rooftop near there. What a waste!

Collapsing at a scale that cannot be imagined. Six districts in the past 24 hours alone.
Isn't that even faster than the S Viet Nam gunmint ceased to function after the US of A legged it under Tricky Dicky Nixon?

If "YES" - Well Done Us for backing every losing horse we could find, for two whole decades.

Poppycock

War Hero
I screen shot this tweet from an official Taliban account to get the translation in too:

"All soldiers joined the Mojahedin with all their weapons, ammunition and equipment."

ETA: At this rate it looks like it'll be the Taliban securing what I assume will be a renamed Kabul airport as we checkout of the country. My money's on Mullah Omar International Airport (MOIA)

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 06.57.04.png

Last edited:

Poppycock

War Hero
This looks more liberation than surrender to me:

I'd love to know what's being said in all these new videos; one tweeter said that the Taliban forces taking ANDSF positions in the northwest are speaking local languages, not Pashtun, which seems quite significant to me

Poppycock

War Hero
This northwestern district in Takhar province up near Tajikistan fell to the Taliban last night

The video appears to show a peaceful & welcome transition. BBC radio news didn't mentioned Afghanistan once yesterday & nowt on their website.

Is the tv (I've not got one) news the same? Is there a media blackout?

People forget the Fall of South Vietnam took several years or more after the Americans had left, before things began to spiral to the final conclusion and a direct link to that fall was the Americans decision to cut funding and try to make the mercenary ARVN fight on its own two feet. The problem was the ARVN were equipped and trained to fight with firepower that only a first world power could afford to burn through fuel/ammunition and it simply couldn't adjust without popular support.

The ANA from afar has always had the appearance of a parasite army and will fight so long as it has lavish support and funding. Then inevitably fall back to areas where it does have popular support. The entire mission was a mirage of hyperbole and rhetoric from day one and nobody seems to ever learn from history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads