Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night 10-local HALO NGO workers were massacred in Afghanistan & 16 more wounded

The HALO group CEO stated on BBC radio news that:

"the local Taliban group came to our aid & scared the assailants off"

Full interview (2mins) starts at 2:51:10 here: Today - 09/06/2021 - BBC Sounds
Afghan authorities blamed the Taliban, but IS have claimed responsibility.

Trouble is the Afghan Government is so far up its proverbial with the enemy being the Taliban, the actual common enemy is IS. The Taliban are allowing ANSF to surrender, jump on a paid for bus and the now-civilian trundles back home with a nice mugshot kept by the Taliban just in case they decide to pick up a AK in future. I am not saying its a solution but the Afghan Government better consider the possibility of some sort of collective agreement with the Taliban as that is going to be the only way forward.

Poppycock

War Hero
Afghan authorities blamed the Taliban, but IS have claimed responsibility.
Yeah I'd seen that earlier on Pajhwok Afghan news

The contradictory news reports through today from the BBC have been insane - I heard about five:

8:50 Today presenter says something about the Taliban being reponsible

8:51 He interviews HALO CEO live and CEO says "the local Taliban group helped us, they scared the assailants away"

8:53 Lyse Duscet talking shit from a hotel room somewhere, contradicts the HALO CEO and says officials have blamed the Taliban

11:00(?) News: report HALO CEO comment that the Taliban scared the assailants away

14:00 News: "Officials say the Taliban are responsible"

God only knows what was said 9, 10, 12 & 1300hrs news - a proper fuckup proving you can't trust a word they say

Hats off the HALO CEO James Cowan for getting that gem of info out in a live interview, especially on such a shitty day for him & the group. Anyone here know him?

Last edited:

Poppycock

War Hero
Trouble is the Afghan Government is so far up its proverbial with the enemy being the Taliban, the actual common enemy is IS. The Taliban are allowing ANSF to surrender, jump on a paid for bus and the now-civilian trundles back home with a nice mugshot kept by the Taliban just in case they decide to pick up a AK in future. I am not saying its a solution but the Afghan Government better consider the possibility of some sort of collective agreement with the Taliban as that is going to be the only way forward.
Taliban have played a blinding game throughout

Saying that, Helmand was handed to them on a plate in 2005 when our spooks & diplomats sacked SMA. He was the Helmand governor & a friend of or related to just about every top ****** there, including the President & the USA . Still blows my mind how fucked up that was, enacted by this £$%&-£$%^@, upon the nod of MI6 she said.

Dame Rosalind Mary Marsden DCMG Demobilisation,_Disarmament_and_Reintegration_programme_in_Sud...jpg

Dame Rosalind Mary Marsden

She got posted out before the shit hit the fan and next turned up in Basra, where her first decision was to evacuate all personnel to the airport. Was anyone here in Basra for that?

Last edited:
Cant speak with authority but I believe the end of/defeat of Russian involvement in Afghanistan saw the US cease all its funding to the Mujahideen (as would be expected). They weren't engaged with diplomatic funding at that point (as they'd have been funding a Russian backed government).

The Najibullah government collapsed a couple of years after the Russians left (as they too reduced funding).

The Taliban came in (and the US most definitely would not be funding them).

Only one 9/11 happened did they bother to get involved.
Had the US been white knighting the Afghans, and not just sticking it to Russia with a proxy war, they would have had some kind of Marshal Plan in place and a region full of US fans.

Give Charlie Wilson's War a watch, it is Hollwooded-up but after all the very entertaining bits and Charlie Wilson's 'jailbait' collective of assistants in pencil skirts and no visible panty-line, there is the very poignant ending where Congress and the CIA pat themselves on the back as they put away their wallets and move on to something else, leaving the Afghans with the rubble, ruin, and vacuum of a post-war bankrupt state, and you know how nature hates a vacuum.... enter, stage left, Islamic extremism.

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
Had the US been white knighting the Afghans, and not just sticking it to Russia with a proxy war, they would have had some kind of Marshal Plan in place and a region full of US fans.

Give Charlie Wilson's War a watch, it is Hollwooded-up but after all the very entertaining bits and Charlie Wilson's 'jailbait' collective of assistants in pencil skirts and no visible panty-line, there is the very poignant ending where Congress and the CIA pat themselves on the back as they put away their wallets and move on to something else, leaving the Afghans with the rubble, ruin, and vacuum of a post-war bankrupt state, and you know how nature hates a vacuum.... enter, stage left, Islamic extremism.

View attachment 580221
And all eerily reminiscent of what's about to occur again. The fall might not be as quick, but it'll be as brutal.

Poppycock

War Hero
It's looking distinctly like the War in Afghanistan has been 'cancelled', largely because NATO didn't like the result

Afghan War? What Afghan War?

Thanks for turning up everyone, see you next time!

miner69er

War Hero
Thye been looking the wrong way for years - shud have whacked the Saudi's as when all said and done it was those who kicked it off by the 9/11 and exporting the Wahabi crap that pays for all these madraasas where the next breed of terrorist are being indoctrinated.

Thye been looking the wrong way for years - shud have whacked the Saudi's as when all said and done it was those who kicked it off by the 9/11 and exporting the Wahabi crap that pays for all these madraasas where the next breed of terrorist are being indoctrinated.
Judging by the spelling, you are a Guardian journalist.

By the sentiments, on the other hand, more like Viz or Beano

Poppycock

War Hero
Who thinks Dostum is just visiting Turkey (a distinct possibility) ?

And who thinks these are the rats fleeing a sinking ship?

Edited to replace twitter post (original Dostum/Turkey tweeter account got disabled)

Asadullah Khalid (the UN-worker murdering barbaric drug lord who was acting minister of defense for a while) is already out of the country, having been in Dubai(?) for medical treatment(?) for some time now

Last edited:

Asadullah Khalid (the UN-worker murdering barbaric drug lord who was acting minister of defense for a while) is already out of the country, having been in Dubai(?) for medical treatment(?) for some time now
Rated 'Informative'

Sticks in my craw even to think about a 'Like'​
Sadly - no 'Told Ya So, A Decade Ago' button is available . . . .​

I'm skeptical about this. Cant imagine Dostum has fled. Although his forces have been taking a significant battering very recently and the Taliban has a firm control of Sar-e Pol province (adjacent to Dostum's, Jowzjan heartland).

It's well-known about Khalid and his medical treatment (after being blown up). No conspiracy there. Agree he's a human right abusing thug though. Just like all the others in any position of 'leadership'.

As an aside, I know someone who is very, very well connected in Afghanistan. He was in a meeting with a very senior figure from the Dip community just last week, where the figure spoke candidly ( I wont say which country). And it may be something we all know but to hear it 'unofficially' was an eye opener. Summarizing here but: The west has no appetite to be there. None. They want out soonest. Sick of pouring cash into a black hole and have it wasted. Its an Afghan problem they need to fix it. The west has had enough of Afghans unable to own their failures. They wont take responsibility for anything. Ghani and his circle have sabotaged the wests efforts to get peace going. They have no qualms sending people to die on a daily basis to protect their own little fiefdom. Oh, and Afghans need to realise that as a national security priority or concern for the west, they don't even make the top ten. Afghans have and continue to overestimate their importance.

Last edited:
Twitter accounts on both sides i follow are awash with pics of captured ANA bases with trucks, Rangers and weapons neatly lined up. Majority of the time, left because the previous owners just walked out. Turks making a big thing about running HKIA but with US money (mmm!?!??!) once everyone leaves. Turks were only there for their own gain.....are they still saying they have x amount Blackhawks deployed including the one under the tarpaulin which crashed a few years ago?

Dostum lives in Turkey, despite his protestations that he doesn't. It was his go to place after he buggered the tribal elder.

Twitter accounts on both sides i follow are awash with pics of captured ANA bases with trucks, Rangers and weapons neatly lined up. Majority of the time, left because the previous owners just walked out. Turks making a big thing about running HKIA but with US money (mmm!?!??!) once everyone leaves. Turks were only there for their own gain.....are they still saying they have x amount Blackhawks deployed including the one under the tarpaulin which crashed a few years ago?
And the whole airport scenario speaks to what an utter waste of time and money.the Afghan adventure has been. 20 years and these fools cannot be trusted to secure their airport.

I'm skeptical about this. Cant imagine Dostum has fled. Although his forces have been taking a significant battering very recently and the Taliban has a firm control of Sar-e Pol province (adjacent to Dostum's, Jowzjan heartland).

It's well-known about Khalid and his medical treatment (after being blown up). No conspiracy there. Agree he's a human right abusing thug though. Just like all the others in any position of 'leadership'.

As an aside, I know someone who is very, very well connected in Afghanistan. He was in a meeting with a very senior figure from the Dip community just last week, where the figure spoke candidly ( I wont say which country). And it may be something we all know but to hear it 'unofficially' was an eye opener. Summarizing here but: The west has no appetite to be there. None. They want out soonest. Sick of pouring cash into a black hole and have it wasted. Its an Afghan problem they need to fix it. The west has had enough of Afghans unable to own their failures. They wont take responsibility for anything. Ghani and his circle have sabotaged the wests efforts to get peace going. They have no qualms sending people to die on a daily basis to protect their own little fiefdom. Oh, and Afghans need to realise that as a national security priority or concern for the west, they don't even make the top ten. Afghans have and continue to overestimate their importance.
No argument from me about anything in that last paragraph.

miner69er

War Hero
Viz or Beano - wow that I can take but being a Gruniadista - thats below the belt - even for your standards.

So Mr UN what would have been your solution

combatintman

War Hero
In all likelihood, Dostum has left for Turkey in the last 24-48hrs. I saw a couple of things on Twitter about it yesterday. Over the last couple of weeks his convoy has been whacked a couple of times while cutting around the northern provinces and a few dozen of his bodyguards knocked over. Either the commander or 2IC of his bodyguard detail was reported killed in a separate incident within the last 48hrs. He probably thought; therefore, that it was getting a bit cheeky and has decided to lie low for a bit. He'll likely be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads