Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you make of this:

It is a sentiment I would say that most Afghans including Talib share, the one thing that can unify them all no matter what tribe, faction etc is asking their opinion of Pakistan.

Even the ones depending on ISI (Pakistan Intelligence services and Bin Laden's best freinds) for bases, finance, resupply and shelter despise them.

Poppycock

War Hero
Afghan bite-back: the withdrawal comes to London

Pakistan high commission vandalised & protests outside the Qatar Embassy.

Mob vandalized Pakistan High Commission building in London. They were protesting against the killings in Afghanistan. A similar protest was also launched in front of Qatar embassy. The aim of protestors was to show their unhappiness over Pakistan and Qatar’s role for lasting peace in Afghanistan.

Poppycock

War Hero
I reckon we're pretty close to a sweep stake stage of NATO's Afghan withdrawal

Twitter says Bagram air base is due to be handed over by about 20 June, so I'll throw a quid in (to a charity box if I lose) on the last main force unit leaving by... 28 June

Anyone else going to risk a quid to charity and have a speculation as to when we'll be out by?

I'll throw a quid in (to a charity box if I lose) on the last main force unit leaving by... 28 June
That's a great date to pick - so many momentous historical events associated with it:
  • Battle of Sarmada - French Crusaders defeated by Emir Ilghazi
  • Ottomans defeated Serbian army in the bloody Battle of Kosovo (a.k.a. The Field of Blackbirds)
  • Coronation of Queen Victoria
  • Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo
  • Treaty of Versailles
  • Kanzler A. Hitler flies to Essen ahead of the Night of the Long Knives
  • Berlin Airlift started
  • N Korea captured Seoul
  • Lyndon B Johnson authorised deployment of US combat troops to Vietnam
  • I was commissioned

Twitter says Bagram air base is due to be handed over by about 20 June, so I'll throw a quid in (to a charity box if I lose) on the last main force unit leaving by... 28 June

Anyone else going to risk a quid to charity and have a speculation as to when we'll be out by?
July 4th.

Thursday 19 August my each way bet
US spent a fortune on that base, the foundations where 5 meters deep, all single rooms with internet

That's a great date to pick - so many momentous historical events associated with it:
  • Battle of Sarmada - French Crusaders defeated by Emir Ilghazi
  • Ottomans defeated Serbian army in the bloody Battle of Kosovo (a.k.a. The Field of Blackbirds)
  • Coronation of Queen Victoria
  • Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo
  • Treaty of Versailles
  • Kanzler A. Hitler flies to Essen ahead of the Night of the Long Knives
  • Berlin Airlift started
  • N Korea captured Seoul
  • Lyndon B Johnson authorised deployment of US combat troops to Vietnam
  • I was commissioned
and my mates birthday

Poppycock

War Hero
  • I was commissioned
and my mates birthday
That's just too spooky, I must be on a winner here... 3wk countdown to find out

For when I win, my nominated charity for all the losers to throw a quid to is the RSPCA

And back on topic: the ANDSF appear to be taking a kicking (reports of c.150 KIA in 24hrs) and my heart goes out to them; defending a lost cause for a command that really doesn't care for them (sound familiar to anyone here?)

And the Russians/USSR spent quite a bit on it as well I would imagine. Wasn't it their main operating base during their occupation?
I have photos of a few Migs abandoned there, their accommodation was shit, made of wood (packing boxes) I stayed there in the 'international Village'

Last edited:

Poppycock

War Hero
Afghan exit (Axit?) sweep stake update:

As Turkey appears to be the ones guarding the exit (for the cabal in Kabul), I suppose that a full NATO withdrawal can't be claimed until the Turks depart Hamid Karzai International Airport

So far:
@Poppycock has 28 June
@cityloyal has 04 July
@ExREME.TECH 19 Aug

It's a quid in with the closest-date winner nominating which charity box to chuck your quid in to

Daily Express thinks we (Brits) will be out by end-July:

Afghan exit (Axit?) sweep stake update:

As Turkey appears to be the ones guarding the exit (for the cabal in Kabul), I suppose that a full NATO withdrawal can't be claimed until the Turks depart Hamid Karzai International Airport

So far:
@Poppycock has 28 June
@cityloyal has 04 July
@ExREME.TECH 19 Aug

It's a quid in with the closest-date winner nominating which charity box to chuck your quid in to

Daily Express thinks we (Brits) will be out by end-July:

I note that Col RIchard Kemp - quoted in that there article - has finally caught himself on to one essential fact:

The UK is "simply incapable" of maintaining troops in Afghanistan without a US presence
This is not news, nor should it be a surprise that US (and therefore Western) patience has run out - FFS, this was foreseen on this thread before my 3 sons learned how to ride a bicycle. Likewise the recognition that:

there will be nothing to stop Afghanistan once again becoming what it was in September 11, 2001
. . . is but a recognition that the place is a mess - and that Western nations would sooner live with that mess, than continue to splurge shitloads of taxpayer's earnings into the bank balances of ineffectual and corrupt 'elected gunmint' officials, whilst also paying a premium of buckets of Western troops blood, in the vain hope of 'rescuing' the place from its native culture.

. . . is but a recognition that the place is a mess - and that Western nations would sooner live with that mess, than continue to splurge shitloads of taxpayer's earnings into the bank balances of ineffectual and corrupt 'elected gunmint' officials, whilst also paying a premium of buckets of Western troops blood, in the vain hope of 'rescuing' the place from its native culture.
In the short-term, partly in guilt and partly because of blind optimism, they'll keep (and probably increase) the amount of aid money they keep pouring down the Afghan blackhole. Donors are currently falling over themselves trying to throw money around.

There is no 'fixing' Afghanistan and they don't want our help (just money), but those making the big decisions can't grasp this.

Biden for all his faults, may have shorter bandwidth for continued engagement in an impossible situation, and could end the gravy train quite soon if things go further south in the coming months.

Afghans are already looking to China and India as their next 'best friends'. Good luck with that. China will rape the ass off them. And India doesn't have the ability support them long term.

Last edited:
Turkey...shock. Spent more time moaning that they were not getting fed in the towers during rocket attacks and driving around in their armoured civ 4x4's touting for business back home.

Biden for all his faults, may have shorter bandwidth for continued engagement in an impossible situation, and could end the gravy train quite soon if things go further south in the coming months

I may be over simplyfying thus but isn't that what happened during the Clinton Presidency indirectly leading to 9/11 during Bush's term.

Can anyone confirm that US aid to Afghanistan was severely cut in Clinton's time? (I recall comments along the 'why are we paying aid... Russians gone... abuse of wimmins rights corruption etc' and that 9/11 was partly an overdue payment reminder.

Not an angle I've heard repeated or confirmed so some confirmation required - but it goes back to that very fundamental cassus belli - why was the US attacked after they'd funded the Russian withdrawal and had negligible skin in the game?

And the Russians/USSR spent quite a bit on it as well I would imagine. Wasn't it their main operating base during their occupation?
Back in Alexander's day, 326BC (ish) when the flat bits of Afghanistan were called Bactria and everyone was a Buddhist, Bagram Wells were famed for their year round sweet water.

Wonder what they taste like now after decades worth of squaddies of every nation have been pissing there (NOT the RAF, they use blue loo chemical toilets when 'roughing it in the field')

I may be over simplyfying thus but isn't that what happened during the Clinton Presidency indirectly leading to 9/11 during Bush's term.

Can anyone confirm that US aid to Afghanistan was severely cut in Clinton's time? (I recall comments along the 'why are we paying aid... Russians gone... abuse of wimmins rights corruption etc' and that 9/11 was partly an overdue payment reminder.

Not an angle I've heard repeated or confirmed so some confirmation required - but it goes back to that very fundamental cassus belli - why was the US attacked after they'd funded the Russian withdrawal and had negligible skin in the game?
Cant speak with authority but I believe the end of/defeat of Russian involvement in Afghanistan saw the US cease all its funding to the Mujahideen (as would be expected). They weren't engaged with diplomatic funding at that point (as they'd have been funding a Russian backed government).

The Najibullah government collapsed a couple of years after the Russians left (as they too reduced funding).

The Taliban came in (and the US most definitely would not be funding them).

Only one 9/11 happened did they bother to get involved.

Poppycock

War Hero
Last night 10-local HALO NGO workers were massacred in Afghanistan & 16 more wounded

The HALO group CEO stated on BBC radio news that:

"the local Taliban group came to our aid & scared the assailants off"

Full interview (2mins) starts at 2:51:10 here: Today - 09/06/2021 - BBC Sounds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.