Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

AliE

Swinger
Who thinks we will withdraw our troops on 1st of May, if not do you guys think there will be more suicide bombings and attacks by the taliban

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Point us, if you would, please, to the last period in history when Afghanistan was at peace internally, leaving aside the time of Taliban rule prior to Western intervention post 9/11.

Depends on how you define peace. If you're including the period of Taleban rule that was marked by a steady civil war, multiple genocidal massacres, and a narrowly averted war with Iran then there's a fair chunk of Afghan history that would qualify as peaceful.

Depends on how you define peace. If you're including the period of Taleban rule that was marked by a steady civil war, multiple genocidal massacres, and a narrowly averted war with Iran then there's a fair chunk of Afghan history that would qualify as peaceful.
Rather my point.

There's a common misperception that Taliban rule was "harsh but at least it was peaceful"

The truth is that the place has not known peace in my lifetime, irrespective of regime change or presence/absence of foreign military expeditions.

Point us, if you would, please, to the last period in history when Afghanistan was at peace internally, leaving aside the time of Taliban rule prior to Western intervention post 9/11.
It was pretty peaceful (By Afghan standards) in 1973 until the Soviets engineered a coup deposing the King and putting a communist appointee in his place which stirred the tribes up. Prior to this the biggest thing they had to contend with were hippies making their way overland from Europe via Turkey and Iran in search of a chemical induced nivarana in India and Nepal with the great guru.

in 1973 until the Soviets engineered a coup deposing the King and putting a communist appointee in his place
My next-door-neighbour in New College, from Jan-Jun 1974 was an Afghan. so I checked coup dates, and you're 5 years adrift. 1973 saw the then-King's cousin (very anti-left) Lt Gen Mohammad Daud Khan seizing power, while the incumbent was 'taking the waters' at Ischia in the Tyrrhenian Sea.

The pro-communist takeover was in 1978.

1973:

1978:

Back in the days when it was possible to actually see what Afghan women looked like (not half bad as it turns out).

1617871906805.png

1617871923638.png

1617871939350.png

1617871956238.png

1617871989833.png

It was pretty peaceful (By Afghan standards) in 1973 until the Soviets engineered a coup deposing the King and putting a communist appointee in his place which stirred the tribes up. Prior to this the biggest thing they had to contend with were hippies making their way overland from Europe via Turkey and Iran in search of a chemical induced nivarana in India and Nepal with the great guru.

It was safe enough back then for my birth mum to travel around Iran and Afghanistan alone looking at ancient places

Back in the days when it was possible to actually see what Afghan women looked like (not half bad as it turns out).

View attachment 563526

View attachment 563527

View attachment 563528

View attachment 563529
View attachment 563530
These photos (the same photos) are frequently used by those trying to promote Afghanistan as this once liberal bastion that has been ruined by the Taliban. It's literally the same circular photos from a tiny period/proportion of Kabul.

These photos (the same photos) are frequently used by those trying to promote Afghanistan as this once liberal bastion that has been ruined by the Taliban. It's literally the same circular photos from a tiny period/proportion of Kabul.
Yeah I know that, but there is enough anecdotal evidence (including above) that it was basically safe enough for westerners to travel around in freely (I don't think anyone ever described it as a liberal bastion, that would be absurd), no better and no worse than any other country in the region.

Yeah I know that, but there is enough anecdotal evidence (including above) that it was basically safe enough for westerners to travel around in freely (I don't think anyone ever described it as a liberal bastion, that would be absurd), no better and no worse than any other country in the region.
True.

I typed that in a bit of a snippy mood so came across as a bit of an ass.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
I have a microwave dinner in my fridge with a longer shelf life (5th May, chicken korma with pilau rice) than the USA's current peace plan with the Taliban

Anyone got any updates on movements in/out of Kabul & its environs please?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

There's more than anecdotal evidence. The hippie trail ran through Afghanistan, so there were thousands of westerners visiting the country and travelling across it in the 1960s.

There's more than anecdotal evidence. The hippie trail ran through Afghanistan, so there were thousands of westerners visiting the country and travelling across it in the 1960s.
Indeed, in the mid-late 70s a team from 56( Olphert's) Battery RA travelled from West Germany to India, via Iran and Afghanistan among other places, to celebrate some ancient battle they'd been involved in.
Despite travelling in series 3 landrovers brush painted battleship grey, all their maps provided by ( and printed as such) the CIA, and a couple of trailers stuffed with compo, POL and spares, the only problem reported was a disinclination to pay duties on the spare fuel.

Indeed, in the mid-late 70s a team from 56( Olphert's) Battery RA travelled from West Germany to India, via Iran and Afghanistan among other places, to celebrate some ancient battle they'd been involved in.
Despite travelling in series 3 landrovers brush painted battleship grey, all their maps provided by ( and printed as such) the CIA, and a couple of trailers stuffed with compo, POL and spares, the only problem reported was a disinclination to pay duties on the spare fuel.
It must have been hell for them

I have a microwave dinner in my fridge with a longer shelf life (5th May, chicken korma with pilau rice) than the USA's current peace plan with the Taliban

Or maybe

Arse Gravy

War Hero

Exercise no change at the moment.

Latest Threads