Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Thanks for the replies which I'd summarise as:
  • Not a cat in hell's chance of a full withdrawal this year
  • No one knows what's going to happen till the US election is settled
I disagree with many of Trump's foreign policies but I think he has Afghanistan 100% correct & that he's the only politician courageous enough to bite the bullet and get our forces the **** out of dodge

If Trump doesn't stay in office then I expect the occupation of Afghanistan will become a semi-permanent strategic feature of NATO

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stupid question from someone who hasn't been in country for 9 years.....did the Yanks 'expand' Leatherneck to encompass the Role 3 Hospital and the water plant in Bastion ?

Or is it all now back to level desert ?

I saw last week that there had been 12 rocket attacks on what was Bastion....not sure if there is anything left there to hit ?

Tks

he's the only politician courageous enough
Nah.

He simply sees no profit in it for the US, and is too stoopid to concern himself with the ancillary issues that previous politicians in his job have found difficult to address.

Perceiving and wishing to manage these complexities, they were fearful - hence did not act precipitously.

The Donald is not fearful, hence does not hesitate to gob off (goboff to action interval as yet undetermined)

He is without fear becuse he doesn't have the wit to comprehend the problem.

Courage is the capacity for purposeful action in the face of fear.

The Donald is the epitomy of the capacity to talk big shiite in the face of stuff he's not scared of, because he doesn't understand it.

That ain't courage, and I wouldn't want to be commanded by a Lance Jack with his talent. . . .

Stupid question from someone who hasn't been in country for 9 years.....did the Yanks 'expand' Leatherneck to encompass the Role 3 Hospital and the water plant in Bastion ?

Or is it all now back to level desert ?

I saw last week that there had been 12 rocket attacks on what was Bastion....not sure if there is anything left there to hit ?

Tks
No, they stayed on what was Tombstone and some other bits. Its called Camp Shorabak. I went there a few times after everyone left and the US went back in. Anything that could be levelled was and others was left to the Afghans. Ive got some pics somewhere which if i can find ill put up.
On the subject of water bottling plant. The one in KAF was worth millions and when it became a more US operated base they didnt want to take it on and got bottled water in from Kabul. I went into it about a year it was closed and it was as if people had just got up and closed the door. Everything still left and in theory could of been restarted with a sweep up and switch the lights on. Monumental waste of money but then thats Afghanistan as a whole!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thats already gone.

I'm not sure what the future is for the British in the Kabul, it must cost a fortune to run a taxi service.

I sincerely hope they will all come home and move on with their lives.

Found this in relation to Leatherneck, which was the USMC camp adjoining Bastion....about 200 yards up the road from the Role 3 Hospital.

I don't know if Tombstone was somewhere else?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e53c00-636c-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html

That was in 2014.

I was unaware that KAF had a water-bottling plant. BASTION had its own Water-bottling plant too.

Our team were part of the recce to go back into BASTION/SHORAB after everyone left. Bit of a ghost town even though the ANA (and small amount of the Air Force) were there. The US wanted to go back in but obviously not in the levels it was when it left in 2014. The UK were not part of it. Few months later once they had setup we flew in fuel but of course from my serving days it was a lot different landing at BASTION itself. FP had to clear the runway/area before we landed and remained there as we offloaded fuel. They then left to go back to SHORAB as BASTION/LEATHERNECK is now a ANA base and we took off.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The last line tells me the answer to my question. Thanks.

( I wonder whether the two CAT scanners in the Role 3 made it back to the UK.....they were the only such machines for 300 miles)

The last line tells me the answer to my question. Thanks.

( I wonder whether the two CAT scanners in the Role 3 made it back to the UK.....they were the only such machines for 300 miles)
They were sending C17/747's full of empty ammo boxes back to the UK so i expect they did!

FrankieBoy

Swinger
Im about to start my CiC at Catterick and I was just wondering will I get a chance to go to Afghanistan/Syria etc or is it all coming to an end now. As bad as it sounds I do wanna get stuck in with combat especially the middle east area. What are they deployments like today?

NemoIII

War Hero
Im about to start my CiC at Catterick and I was just wondering will I get a chance to go to Afghanistan/Syria etc or is it all coming to an end now. As bad as it sounds I do wanna get stuck in with combat especially the middle east area. What are they deployments like today?

Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria are probably in the closing stages at the moment.

Youll be lucky if they are still going this time next year.

Son of CH is in Catterick now and he is being sensible and looking forward to Cyprus next year. As Nemo said, chances of Afghan is slimmer than a person on bread and water.

964ST

Old-Salt
And as Urban „Army“ legend would have it!??! You can go AWOL from the British military in the Uk, join the FFL, and after you have had enough!! The Brits will have you back, without any further punishment! (As long as you do not try and wear your „Ear Necklaces“ in the Mess).

Is there any other combat tours going on that I could do or is it all postings and exersizes?
Sign up to the newsfeeds from the MoD or the Army, and you'll be first in the know. Right now, with luck, there won't be combat ops for the Brit Army for a while.

If you're really interested in finding your way into a fight (anybody's fight) join the French Foreign Legion.

Trust me: they're just right for a chap like you.

Is there any other combat tours going on that I could do or is it all postings and exersizes?
Stop asking for combat tours, you sound like a idot.\. Just get through training and then be smart and not a mong.

Latest Threads