Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Reports of another Blackhawk crash, in Zabul this time:

No more reports of the claimed complete destruction of an ANA base in Zabul yesterday, manned by 150 lives. Maybe it didn't happen, or maybe were just not being told **** all

Nah, I was too busy getting fat off NATO bribes of choc cake & ice-cream to care. I was in no doubt our dedicated commander's 24/7 monitoring of the high tech ground sensors & barrage balloon mounted cameras had our backs covered anyway

Has Abdul Rasul Sayyaf been put on a one way flight to Guantanamo yet? There's a rumour going round he help Khalid Sheikh Mohammed plan 9/11...

View attachment 514381
The attack in Zabul happened and is ongoing. TB have taken her the base. At least 20 ANA killed.

TB need to loot the base and get out quick before it flattened by air strikes.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
The attack in Zabul happened and is ongoing. TB have taken her the base. At least 20 ANA killed.

Is there any hesitation by the Afghan air force to strike where there may be ANDSF POW / WIA?

Some one said on here a while back that the Afghan pilots never come back with munitions left, regardless of whether they've seen the enemy or not

Is there any hesitation by the Afghan air force to strike where there may be ANDSF POW / WIA?

Some one said on here a while back that the Afghan pilots never come back with munitions left, regardless of whether they've seen the enemy or not
Honest answer is I don’t know. My suspicion is though, that the possibility of POW/WIAs aren’t really at the forefront of AAF pilots minds when deciding whether to drop or not.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
This is getting more surreal by the tweet...

There was a one off report of US air support to the Taliban c.March this year but now it turns out they have their own dedicated US drone support team

I found this from Dec 2019: US / Taliban coordination in their common battle against Daesh:
Corrr... turns out you can't trust anyone these days

Taliban call bullshit on the Washington Post story about a US drone team providing air support to the Taliban's battle against Daesh:

Poppycock

Old-Salt

This video of the tunnel bombing shows the base silhouette before the explosion, and it appears the tunnel stopped just short of the base interior, or maybe went too far which would be a bummer for the tunnellers but a blessing for the base occupants:

aardvark64

War Hero
This video of the tunnel bombing shows the base silhouette before the explosion, and it appears the tunnel stopped just short of the base interior, or maybe went too far which would be a bummer for the tunnellers but a blessing for the base occupants:
ANDSF is getting hammered. Morale must be in their boots.
I think it’s deliberate on the government part; appear desperate and the US might slow down any withdrawal.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
I think it’s deliberate on the government part; appear desperate and the US might slow down any withdrawal.
I hope to God it backfires on them and speeds up the withdrawal

It was bad enough with our lot left hung out to dry in remote CPs & PBs, but at least they had medical-vac & air support

The regular ANDSF have next to bugger all support that I can see, are victims of their own commander's corruption and as you say are paying a bloody price

The "Tell Spring Not to Come This Year" documentary will haunt me till this bloody thing is over and some stability is achieved.

Last edited:

This month marks 19 years since the United States invaded Afghanistan to topple the Taliban rulers, who had harboured al Qaeda militants who attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

How would it be different if it weren't deliberate, and the ANDSF were actually just trying to fight the Taleban? I think you're seeing conspiracies where there are none.

Another grim week of reporting.

'The gruesome image showed two dozen corpses in military uniforms, dragged into a tangled line on a hard empty plain. Their clothes were smeared with dirt, their faces wrapped in bloody rags.

'The photo, circulating widely on social media here, was reportedly taken in far western Nimruz province, where military officials said Taliban attackers killed more than 20 soldiers Thursday evening. But it could have been almost anywhere in Afghanistan.

'In the past several weeks, Taliban fighters have staged ground attacks and bombings in 24 of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces, leaving scores dead. In northeastern Takhar they ambushed and killed at least 40 soldiers and police. In northwestern Ghowr, a car bomb killed 19 civilians. In southern Helmand, Taliban fighters are still clashing with Afghan forces after a two-week assault on the provincial capital region.

'The message of the surge is clear and coldblooded. Even as Taliban delegates continue to nominally participate in peace talks with Afghan leaders in Qatar, the insurgents have shown no intention of reducing violence. Instead, they appear out to prove they can wreak havoc everywhere.

'In the past week alone, Afghan security officials said Saturday that the Taliban had staged 356 attacks, two suicide bombings and 52 mine explosions across the country, killing 51 civilians and wounding 157. They said more than 400 insurgents were killed but did not give casualty figures for Afghan forces. A suicide bombing in Kabul Saturday, which killed at least 24 students, was claimed by the Islamic State group, a rival extremist organization.

'As the violence spreads, Afghans have expressed outrage, and several prominent Middle Eastern religious scholars have condemned the attacks, especially against civilians, as un-Islamic. But Taliban leaders, partly in response to the criticism, reiterated that they have the right to kill anyone connected with the Afghan government or its foreign backers.'

“All troops and workers serving the Kabul administration have waged war against Muslims for the past 20 years. They are a bunch of criminals and mercenaries,” Zabiullah Mujahid, the chief Taliban spokesman, said in an interview published Saturday on a Taliban website. “As long as they do not repent and accept an Islamic system, they shall continue to be killed,” and those who kill them will be “rewarded immensely by God.”

'Mujahid said his group had two long-term missions: “to force out foreign fighters” and to “reestablish an Islamic government.” Now that the United States has agreed to withdraw all its troops, he said, the second goal of waging “jihad” against the current government in Kabul is “mandatory.” The spokesman made no mention of the peace talks, but Taliban delegates there have refused to recognize the U.S.-backed Afghan government’s legitimacy to negotiate, calling it an infidel foreign puppet. The delegation from Kabul includes a broad cross-section of prominent Afghans, all of them Muslim.

“We see no sense of urgency by the Taliban about ending this war,” one delegate to the talks said Saturday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the group members have agreed not to air their views. “They are not listening to anyone. They are just killing time and killing people.”[/I]

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Another grim week of reporting.

'The gruesome image showed two dozen corpses in military uniforms, dragged into a tangled line on a hard empty plain. Their clothes were smeared with dirt, their faces wrapped in bloody rags.

'The photo, circulating widely on social media here, was reportedly taken in far western Nimruz province, where military officials said Taliban attackers killed more than 20 soldiers Thursday evening. But it could have been almost anywhere in Afghanistan.

'In the past several weeks, Taliban fighters have staged ground attacks and bombings in 24 of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces, leaving scores dead. In northeastern Takhar they ambushed and killed at least 40 soldiers and police. In northwestern Ghowr, a car bomb killed 19 civilians. In southern Helmand, Taliban fighters are still clashing with Afghan forces after a two-week assault on the provincial capital region.

'The message of the surge is clear and coldblooded. Even as Taliban delegates continue to nominally participate in peace talks with Afghan leaders in Qatar, the insurgents have shown no intention of reducing violence. Instead, they appear out to prove they can wreak havoc everywhere.

'In the past week alone, Afghan security officials said Saturday that the Taliban had staged 356 attacks, two suicide bombings and 52 mine explosions across the country, killing 51 civilians and wounding 157. They said more than 400 insurgents were killed but did not give casualty figures for Afghan forces. A suicide bombing in Kabul Saturday, which killed at least 24 students, was claimed by the Islamic State group, a rival extremist organization.

'As the violence spreads, Afghans have expressed outrage, and several prominent Middle Eastern religious scholars have condemned the attacks, especially against civilians, as un-Islamic. But Taliban leaders, partly in response to the criticism, reiterated that they have the right to kill anyone connected with the Afghan government or its foreign backers.'

“All troops and workers serving the Kabul administration have waged war against Muslims for the past 20 years. They are a bunch of criminals and mercenaries,” Zabiullah Mujahid, the chief Taliban spokesman, said in an interview published Saturday on a Taliban website. “As long as they do not repent and accept an Islamic system, they shall continue to be killed,” and those who kill them will be “rewarded immensely by God.”

'Mujahid said his group had two long-term missions: “to force out foreign fighters” and to “reestablish an Islamic government.” Now that the United States has agreed to withdraw all its troops, he said, the second goal of waging “jihad” against the current government in Kabul is “mandatory.” The spokesman made no mention of the peace talks, but Taliban delegates there have refused to recognize the U.S.-backed Afghan government’s legitimacy to negotiate, calling it an infidel foreign puppet. The delegation from Kabul includes a broad cross-section of prominent Afghans, all of them Muslim.

“We see no sense of urgency by the Taliban about ending this war,” one delegate to the talks said Saturday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the group members have agreed not to air their views. “They are not listening to anyone. They are just killing time and killing people.”[/I]

"... speaking on the condition of anonymity... "

Reads like pissy, half-arrsed, emotive propaganda to me, much like the recent "Taliban Endorse Trump!!" lies, the "US drone team dedicated to supporting Taliban ops" lies, and countless other such reports that get smacked out of the ball park within a couple of days of filling the headlines & being re-reported

The Taliban are doing what they have to to keep the criminal fucks we left in charge in check.

I hate to say it, but this should come as no surprise. As I recollect it, US withdrawal was presented as conditional upon gunmint and Taliban engaging in peace talks.

Aaaand the Taliban leadership have demonstrably engaged in peace talks. It's a no-brainer: in their shoes, why would you not?

i'm not even sure that their continuing to prosecute a war to regain control is actually in contravention of the deal, nor would it matter if it was, since Unca Sam has clearly lost all interest in the place, and is showing no signs of changing its plans.

Again, why would Unca Sam? Even without The Donald as POTUS, furrin wars is expensive; there's no major profit to be had from AFG ('cept if you're a big-time drug importer?); there's COVID-19 to worry about and - recession looms.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"US drone team dedicated to supporting Taliban ops"

This wasn't a lie. Elements of it might be misreported/misbriefed (I'm not sure) but the core of it is definitely correct.

The Taliban are doing what they have to to keep the criminal fucks we left in charge in check

Or they're slaughtering innocents in a large number of places in an attempt to seize territory for personal gain. I guess it depends on how you look at it. On the one hand, there's a regime that believes in basic human rights, women's rights, freedom of religion and doesn't harbour terrorists, but is corrupt. On the other, there's an organisation that believes in the subjugation of women and mass slaughter as an effective legal system, and is also corrupt. Really hard to choose between them...

On the one hand, there's a regime that believes in basic human rights, women's rights, freedom of religion and doesn't harbour terrorists,
Meh.

It says these things.

Talk is cheap.

. . . . but is corrupt
There's the root of it.

On the other, there's an organisation that believes in the subjugation of women and mass slaughter as an effective legal system, and is also corrupt.
On that last point, I don't doubt they'd argue that the noble Quran views them as sinless and Honest In The Eyes Of God*, and that your pasty, infidel, western view is at worst blasphemy of some description, and in any case irrelevant, .

Events lately suggest that they're correct on that latter point. On the other, get thee to over to the thread about "whose invisible friend is the best?" if you want to squabble about it with other people who care to do likewise. I'm of the school of "A Pox On All Organised Religion"

* Stonkernote: They'd likely extend that logic to the two other points, it seems to me.​

Those of us who know about Afghanistan and spent a fair bit of time out there know that the continued presence of NATO etc at present stance will not achieve anything worthwhile.
No one wants to increase any troops on the ground and if the US dont, then no one else will. I am afraid it has to be a Afghan end which will mean civilians being killed/murdered but a Western external solution it is not! Its not like anyone in the UK when it all goes pete-tong is going to ask for UK troops to be deployed to stop it!!!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Its not like anyone in the UK when it all goes pete-tong is going to ask for UK troops to be deployed to stop it

They might take a different view when an Iranian sponsored Taleban government allows it to be a safe haven for anti-western terror groups including AQ.

Latest Threads