Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

We 'wet-winged' fuel into BSN in the early days - it's an emergency only thing really, not really what strategic lift is for - and even an L100 can't land everywhere!

A number of my service oppos went down on the Supreme thing, lots of military logistic experience, zero commercial nous.

What could possibly go wrong?
Yes wet-wing is not sustainable hence we had purpose built internal tanks on both types of aircraft to take the larger amounts in. We did wet-wing on the IL76 once but its takes hours to offload through an outlet on one of the engines.
Supreme failed because of poor contract management from the military and no robust on-the-ground oversight.

Last edited:

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Mr Sarwary says his friend was one of the heli pilots KIA in the heli collision last night

I'm not sure if this footage is of last night's collision - judge for yourselves:

Ahh, now I understand. You have never been to Afghanistan yet see fit to spout about it on a public platform.

Cock!!

It's hardly breaking news (as in "Where the fvck have you been this last decade-and-a-bit? Saloon bars and park benches quaffing Buckie?")

Don't defer on that basis - been a civvie 7 years, never had Afghan sand anywhere near my boots. I just read around, and wonder. Before ISAF - it was (REME terminology) fecked. IIRC, it was a legacy of US investment in development long prior to Sov invasion[?], went downhill - to the point of being useless - under Afghan management, and was selected as a high profile 'resurrection' project, pretty early on in the current campaign.

The book 3 Commando describes fighting to keep the Talib at a safe[ish] distance, and that was 3[?] years ago. The massive convoy protection effoirt required to get 2[?] new turbines in place (2008[?])told its own story, about who controls what ground, and (again, from memory) even putting those in was just one small step: there were (are[?]) still more to be installed[?]

Question marks indicate areas where I would need to research to be certain of my facts.

I frequently wonder if our Ministry of Defeat are as careful to acknowledge the weakness of their own relationship with the facts. :wink:

That one's from this thread in 2010. If the search function had a little more Tardis tech behind it, you'd find my first post on this thread some years before that.

ACAB

LE
It's hardly breaking news (as in "Where the fvck have you been this last decade-and-a-bit? Saloon bars and park benches quaffing Buckie?")

That one's from this thread in 2010. If the search function had a little more Tardis tech behind it, you'd find my first post on this thread some years before that.
You absolute cock.

I would have left it alone but your recent comment in the 'Scariest Place in NI' thread made me want to post again that you sir, are a grade A, mark 1 ******.

Oh, and for your information I was in the Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan anytime between 2006 and 2012.

Oh, and I'll just reiterate - Cock.

Another weekend in Afghanistan. Someone's certainly doing their best to influence the peace negotiations in Doha.

'A car bombing outside a police station in central Afghanistan has killed at least 20 people, according to the Interior Ministry.

'Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said a car laden with explosives detonated outside a police station in Firoz Koh, the capital of Ghor Province, around 11 a.m. on October 18.

'Arian, who did not provide further details, described the incident as a “terrorist attack.”

'Ghor police spokesman Abdul Maaref Ramesh said the blast caused heavy civilian casualties.

'No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, although similar incidents in the past have been blamed on the Taliban.'

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Another weekend in Afghanistan. Someone's certainly doing their best to influence the peace negotiations in Doha.

'A car bombing outside a police station in central Afghanistan has killed at least 20 people, according to the Interior Ministry.

'Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said a car laden with explosives detonated outside a police station in Firoz Koh, the capital of Ghor Province, around 11 a.m. on October 18.

'Arian, who did not provide further details, described the incident as a “terrorist attack.”

'Ghor police spokesman Abdul Maaref Ramesh said the blast caused heavy civilian casualties.

'No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, although similar incidents in the past have been blamed on the Taliban.'

Pray for Biden. The current US reticence to fight on the grounds that it might jeopardise the negotiations just seems to be granting the Taleban space to up the level of violence. The only way any kind of peace can be achieved is if the US makes it clear that they'll stay to ensure the Taleban stick to it. There's no chance that happens with Trump in charge.

Last edited:
Pray for Biden. The current US reticence to fight on the grounds that it might jeapardise the negotiations just seems to be granting the Taleban space to up the level of violence. The only way any kind of peace can be achieved is if the US makes it clear that they'll stay to ensure the Taleban stick to it. There's no chance that happens with Trump in charge.

Biden also wants to cut back to just a small training presence. Unless he has had a change of heart in the last week that I haven't heard about.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Biden also wants to cut back to just a small training presence. Unless he has had a change of heart in the last week that I haven't heard about.

That's a pre-election pledge. That may change if he gets in and he's faced with the reality of what a full US withdrawal will mean.

The only way any kind of peace can be achieved is if
. . . the Taliban once again defeat the government and take control of most of Afghanistan, as they have done before in living memory.

Which, given that nobody in the West (nor, most likely, in any of the other 3 points of the compass) has the will, the wit and wisdom or the mazuma to make anything other than this into an inevitable outcome, is the sure-fire bet on which to place your pocket money next time you're loggied in to BetFred.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
. . . the Taliban once again defeat the government and take control of most of Afghanistan, as they have done before in living memory.

While that's overwhelmingly the most likely outcome, at least in the medium term, I was talking about a method of achieving peace.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
United

Which, given that nobody in the West (nor, most likely, in any of the other 3 points of the compass) has the will, the wit and wisdom or the mazuma to make anything other than this into an inevitable outcome, is the sure-fire bet on which to place your pocket money next time you're loggied in to BetFred.
That appears to be the likeliest outcome to me - I think Trump has quite rightly washed his hands of the Kabul regime

Hamid Karzai was meeting the Pakistan ambassador today and was given a present of a leather briefcase. I couldn't help thinking it looked more like a tiny suitcase and a big hint.

And does anybody in the world really care anymore as long as it doesn't become a haven for ISIS or any other Islamic nutcases looking to cause mayhem in the world, which is unlikely. The Pakistani Generals in the ISI will happy as long as they still make their money from the poppy fields.

does anybody in the world really care anymore
Did anyone really care in the first place, given that, as I understand it, Dubya was persuaded by that farkineejit Rumsfeld (for no reason of State or Strategy that I can comprehend) to effectively abandon Afghanistan in 2003, in favour of Eye-Rack "to show the world we are strong", thus committing us and our allies to two simultaneous conflicts, neither of which was focussed on a clearly defined result.

Anyone with sense will acknowledge that this serves to illustrate nothing more strongly than the criticality of the First Principle Of War - Selection And Maintenance of the Aim.

The Brit Army in AFG had no fvcking idea what it was up to.

How could it? Neither had our government, nor any fvcker else's in NATO.

Depends on what China tells him?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And does anybody in the world really care anymore

I think the Afghans probably do.

as long as it doesn't become a haven for ISIS or any other Islamic nutcases looking to cause mayhem in the world, which is unlikely.

*Likely. There's already a sizeable ISIS presence over in Nangahar, which is being largely kept at bay by a US campaign. If the US leaves the country then it's hard to see either the Afghan government or the Taleban successfully defeating ISIS while also fighting each other.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
CDS General Sir Nick sticking his nose in where it's not needed:

carter kabul.jpg

I wonder why he was meeting with a government minister and not his far more stylish counter part Marshall Dostum?
dostum mini mes.jpg

Latest Threads