Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

ACAB

LE
Ah: the old "You weren't there maan" line.

Here's a small sample of the kind of thing we'd miss out on if the only people entitled to a view on any military topic, were those who could say "We were there, maan" :

[DISCLAIMER: Other thinkers are available. You are not obliged to like what they think]
Ahh, now I understand. You have never been to Afghanistan yet see fit to spout about it on a public platform.

Cock!!

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Control of area's of Helmand still changing hands fairly regularly it seems, so while 'we' might all be home for Christmas (according to Trump), the fighting is far from over

Given how I saw the ANDSF behave in Helmand (just glimpses), this statement from the Taliban seems quite reasonable. Does anyone who's familiar with what went on have an opinion?

Foot note: I'm assuming the only places the ANDSF truly control in Helmand is Lashkar Gah & the stretch of ring road that passes through Gereshk, which will put the fighting around the Nad e Ali region, up to the West bank of the Helmand river. Does anyone know if that's right?

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 21.28.15.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 21.28.35.png

ACAB

LE
Control of area's of Helmand still changing hands fairly regularly it seems, so while 'we' might all be home for Christmas (according to Trump), the fighting is far from over

Given how I saw the ANDSF behave in Helmand (just glimpses), this statement from the Taliban seems quite reasonable. Does anyone who's familiar with what went on have an opinion?

Foot note: I'm assuming the only places the ANDSF truly control in Helmand is Lashkar Gah & the stretch of ring road that passes through Gereshk, which will put the fighting around the Nad e Ali region, up to the West bank of the Helmand river. Does anyone know if that's right?

View attachment 511687
View attachment 511688
Yep, They were a load of smack heads when I was last out there. 2012 loads of Old Bill, Custom Officers, all being on the take.............

Arse Gravy

War Hero
Yep, They were a load of smack heads when I was last out there. 2012 loads of Old Bill, Custom Officers, all being on the take.............

and still no change eight years later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CpfcLad

Swinger
Does anybody reckon we will be back out there in a combat role with in a few years. Won't play well politically but I cant see there ever being peace in the region

HSF

LE
Does anybody reckon we will be back out there in a combat role with in a few years. Won't play well politically but I cant see there ever being peace in the region
Personally I dont see the military having resourses enough for anything like that again ,unless the Govt,MOD & Civil service get their act together.Maybe a token gesture only

I spent 5 years in KAF until 2018. Played a major role in ensuring the military had fuel supply into KAF and surrounding bases, hasten to add I was not a stinking contractor! One of the issues I and the contractor had was getting fuel to bases outside of KAF. Anything east coming in from Pakistan, no issues but then everyone needs the border routes from there open and clear don't they (think about it!). Anything going into the hinterland and up until i left convoys were experiencing difficulty. Remember convoys are wholly civilian operated, no military security and used the APPF which is a Afghan security entity. Some bases had to be supplied fuel by the air and continue to do so. Main reason was insurgent activity.
You need to remember for those that have not been there is the ANSF cannot control the areas they hold never-mind the whole of the country. Lets face it, NATO haven't either. So we are all agreed there is not a military solution to Afghanistan, never will be. Whilst some may see Afghanistan a lost cause it was never going to be winnable in what we did. Its a Afghan solution only and whilst the outcome may not be palatable to us in the West, its the Afghan way.
Just a bit on resupply by air...and by the way all this is out there on the t'internet. It was quite eye-opening how much the US will put into ensuring logistic supply gets to the blokes on the ground. Even using the services of a contractor it just gets done. Now its not cheap and this is where we would fall down by either not doing it or just putting a load of troops on the ground like the large CLP's we did. But one of the most job-satisfying things I did was setup the air resupply of some of the US bases out there. Flying in a 35yr old ex-Soviet IL76 or a well worn L100 into a base where you hoped nothing naughty had happened on the way(!!!) and you drop off a fair bit of fuel and on some occasions, donuts.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 29

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Lashkar Gah sounds grim at the moment according to the usually very reliable twitter source copied below

Gen. Miller has told the Taliban to stop it & backed that up with airstrikes on their encroaching forces

I spent 5 years in KAF until 2018. Played a major role in ensuring the military had fuel supply into KAF and surrounding bases, hasten to add I was not a stinking contractor! One of the issues I and the contractor had was getting fuel to bases outside of KAF. Anything east coming in from Pakistan, no issues but then everyone needs the border routes from there open and clear don't they (think about it!). Anything going into the hinterland and up until i left convoys were experiencing difficulty. Remember convoys are wholly civilian operated, no military security and used the APPF which is a Afghan security entity. Some bases had to be supplied fuel by the air and continue to do so. Main reason was insurgent activity.
You need to remember for those that have not been there is the ANSF cannot control the areas they hold never-mind the whole of the country. Lets face it, NATO haven't either. So we are all agreed there is not a military solution to Afghanistan, never will be. Whilst some may see Afghanistan a lost cause it was never going to be winnable in what we did. Its a Afghan solution only and whilst the outcome may not be palatable to us in the West, its the Afghan way.
Just a bit on resupply by air...and by the way all this is out there on the t'internet. It was quite eye-opening how much the US will put into ensuring logistic supply gets to the blokes on the ground. Even using the services of a contractor it just gets done. Now its not cheap and this is where we would fall down by either not doing it or just putting a load of troops on the ground like the large CLP's we did. But one of the most job-satisfying things I did was setup the air resupply of some of the US bases out there. Flying in a 35yr old ex-Soviet IL76 or a well worn L100 into a base where you hoped nothing naughty had happened on the way(!!!) and you drop off a fair bit of fuel and on some occasions, donuts.
Do you think China will become involved in Afghanistan? If they haven't already as they seem to be involved everywhere else.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Shitty night for some in Nawa district, Helmand last night - lots of reports of 2-Blackhawks colliding & up to 15-fatalities. There's varying reports, one that said one heli was carrying commandos in & the other was carrying WIA out.

Does anyone know where 'Cheheldo' or "Mohammad Amin Aka posts by the Helmand River" are in Nawa district?

Last edited:
Shitty night for some in Nawa district, Helmand last night - lots of reports of 2-Blackhawks colliding & up to 15-fatalities. There's varying reports, one that say one help was carrying commandos in & the other was carrying WIA out.

Does anyone know where 'Cheheldo' or "Mohammad Amin Aka posts by the Helmand River" are in Nawa district?

Is it just me or do they look like a Puma and a Rooivalk?

Do you think China will become involved in Afghanistan? If they haven't already as they seem to be involved everywhere else.
China do fear IS and any incursion from Afghanistan's Wakhan province. There has not been much investment so far compared to other countries from China but if the West does reduce its foothold in Afghanistan it may pose a opportunity for China.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I spent 5 years in KAF until 2018. Played a major role in ensuring the military had fuel supply into KAF and surrounding bases, hasten to add I was not a stinking contractor! Flying in a 35yr old ex-Soviet IL76 or a well worn L100 into a base where you hoped nothing naughty had happened on the way(!!!) and you drop off a fair bit of fuel and on some occasions, donuts.
There's not too many bases where you can fly an IL76 into though are there? Did you get hit by any splash from Supreme when their fuel scam went tits up?

Lashkar Gah sounds grim at the moment according to the usually very reliable twitter source copied below

Gen. Miller has told the Taliban to stop it & backed that up with airstrikes on their encroaching forces

Can't read the tweet (out of date browser), but sounds grim.

'Fighting erupted between Taliban forces and Afghan troops in the capital of Helmand province yesterday, raising fears that stalled peace talks could collapse.

'Afghan soldiers, backed by US airstrikes, launched a counterattack after the Taliban sent raids into Lashkar Gah on Sunday. The insurgents overran checkpoints and encircled the city, taking neighbouring districts.

'Local officials insisted that the security forces had fallen back in a “tactical retreat”. Afghan commandos were flown in to defend the city, pushing back against Taliban positions around the outskirts on Monday night. Gunfire and explosions were reported as American jets and drones patrolled overhead, strafing the insurgents.

'The Taliban have besieged Lashkar Gah both before and after British troops withdrew in 2014 after 13 years on the ground. The group took the city in the mid-1990s but were driven out when the US invaded in 2001. In 2008 and 2016 the insurgents reached the outskirts before being forced back.

'Hundreds of families have fled the latest fighting, clogging roads around the city. Some retreated into the centre while others tried to flee the province. The Taliban blocked the main road east towards Kandahar, forcing people back. “There is still fighting going on in the outskirts but Lashkar Gah city is secure,” Attaullah Afghan, a member of the Helmand provincial council, said. “There has been heavy bombardment of Taliban positions and casualties on both sides. Hundreds of families are coming to the city from areas where there is fighting.”

'Abdul Rasheed, a cloth merchant who was heading to Kabul, told The Times he had seen the Taliban and Afghan forces fighting for the past two days. “I saw the white Taliban flag on the entrance of the city on Sunday and people started looting the remains of the Afghan army posts,” he said.

“Taliban fighters targeted by the US airstrikes are hiding in civilian areas. This is a fully fledged war. One cannot say there has been a peace agreement between the US and the Taliban.”

'With peace talks deadlocked, the attack appears calculated to test the resolve of the Americans and Afghans. Since the dialogue between Kabul and the insurgents opened in Qatar a month ago the process has stalled over Taliban demands that the talks be held in an Islamic legal framework. The insurgents have rejected calls by the Afghan government to declare a ceasefire, unwilling to abandon the advantage that led to the negotiations.

'President Trump has called for a swift withdrawal of the fewer than 5,000 troops remaining in Afghanistan. He tweeted last week that he would bring the US service personnel home by Christmas. Officials at the Pentagon have contradicted that schedule.

'General Scott Miller, commander of the US and Nato forces in Afghanistan, said that the assault was a violation of the deal struck in February, which set out a timetable for a final withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan by next May.'

There's not too many bases where you can fly an IL76 into though are there? Did you get hit by any splash from Supreme when their fuel scam went tits up?
Thats why we used the L100. But your trade off is obviously the fuel you can carry. It was actually a big learning experience understanding the amount of variables in what fixed wing can deliver. Especially when your customer is on the ground using secure comms and you are flying above them hoping its good to land and I'm on a mobile phone in the cockpit trying speak to someone on the ground!!
Supreme Fuels......Mmmmm, put it this way I was part of the evidence that ended it all for them.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Thats why we used the L100. But your trade off is obviously the fuel you can carry. It was actually a big learning experience understanding the amount of variables in what fixed wing can deliver. Especially when your customer is on the ground using secure comms and you are flying above them hoping its good to land and I'm on a mobile phone in the cockpit trying speak to someone on the ground!!
Supreme Fuels......Mmmmm, put it this way I was part of the evidence that ended it all for them.
We 'wet-winged' fuel into BSN in the early days - it's an emergency only thing really, not really what strategic lift is for - and even an L100 can't land everywhere!

A number of my service oppos went down on the Supreme thing, lots of military logistic experience, zero commercial nous.

What could possibly go wrong?

Latest Threads