Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Reduces the risks of ISIS-K and other terrorist groups having a resurgence.
No I disagree ISIS-K has little traction, once the Afghans are left to themselves they will deal with all foriegn influences the way they always do and that will include ISIS (ISI), never forget the traditional enemy of the Afghan is the Pakistani.

Exit stage left now, expect Kabul to reach some sort of accomadation with the Talib and lots of raiding across the Southern Pashtun Border and smuggling into the north via Tajikistan. China will flounder around a bit in the east and Iran will expand it's sphere of influence in the west. In short the same as the past 2000 years.

Just what is our goal here? To stay twice/three times as long as the Soviets?

Last edited:

NemoIII

War Hero
Just what is our goal here? To stay twice/three times as long as the Soviets?
Christ knows I'm only a JNCO but things are quietly going along st the moment in the west, without people asking these sort of questions.

China and Russia will have a field day if we just throw them under the bus, as the US suggests. Going to be some very difficult questions if it comes to that situation.

At least Iraq appeared to be in a better state when we left, and that still required us to go back.

When not if Afghanistan defaults back to Pre-2001 state, it will really hit home that its took 20 years and Hundreds of thousands of life to end up back at square one.

No I disagree ISIS-K has little traction, once the Afghans are left to themselves they will deal with all foriegn influences the way they always do and that will include ISIS (ISI), never forget the traditional enemy of the Afghan is the Pakistani other Afghan.
FoC

Christ knows I'm only a JNCO but things are quietly going along st the moment in the west, without people asking these sort of questions.
It is and always was a basic missing target: what is our mission goal? What does victory look like? From the start (my vintage) it was hunt AQ & OBL and stop them coming back, although Dick Cheney / Donald Rumsfeld soon put the kibosh on that in a couple of weeks when they realised they could use the WoT to remake the World; knocking off Iraq, Iran, Syria, N Korea etc. Then the mission constantly mutated into what ever was fashionable in Washington from month to month, of late being that all Afghan women must have the same education and living standard as if they were living in Vermont, Trans rights in Khandhar etc.

I was told in 2003 by senior Afghans that we should leave within a year as the general population thought we were becoming an occupying force and then the Talib would recruit far and wide.

China and Russia will have a field day if we just throw them under the bus, as the US suggests. Going to be some very difficult questions if it comes to that situation.
Russia won't get involved at all apart from ensuring that Jihadis are kept largely away from their buffer stans (read 'The Bear went over the Mountain' and 'Zinky Boys') they have had the full Afghan experince and won't go for it again.

China will make minor forays in the East but will get slaughtered and exterminate in return (no media oversight for them), Iran will up expand its influence in the west including Herat but mostly to keep the heroin barons from running convoys into Iran and to stop general Afghan banditry.

The above is just a rerun of the Afghan, Persian, Chinese dance, thousands of years old.

At least Iraq appeared to be in a better state when we left, and that still required us to go back.
Not really that was just a massively financed media op, covered up lots of stuff so we could declare victory and leave many years after we intended to exit (on this watch the superb BBC 4 doc 'Once apon a time in Iraq' on iplayer - genuinly amazing telly and I loath the BBC).

When not if Afghanistan defaults back to Pre-2001 state, it will really hit home that its took 20 years and Hundreds of thousands of life to end up back at square one.
Well that happens which it likely it will be because there was no plan apart from Politicos not wanting to be the ones to admit we lost and so leaving it for the next ones elected to solve, plus the money making machine it became for the MIC & aid industry, both with huge lobbying engines in Washington.

AQ knew what they were doing when a few days before 9/11 Ahmad Shah Massoud (peace be upon him) leader of the anti Taliban Northern Alliance was assasinated by two 'Belgium reporters' using a suicide bomb in a camera (back then pro TV cameras were still largish with very big batteries). AQ knew that Massoud backed by an enraged West post 9/11, would crush the Talib and rebuild Afghanistan, by killing him they knew that the US would be bogged down in Afghanistan, with no reliable or competant local partners, and like the Soviets losing blood and treasure for years for no result.

OBL (& ISI) wins this one from the grave.

It is and always was a basic missing target: what is our mission goal? What does victory look like? From the start (my vintage) it was hunt AQ & OBL and stop them coming back, although Dick Cheney / Donald Rumsfeld soon put the kibosh on that in a couple of weeks when they realised they could use the WoT to remake the World; knocking off Iraq, Iran, Syria, N Korea etc. Then the mission constantly mutated into what ever was fashionable in Washington from month to month, of late being that all Afghan women must have the same education and living standard as if they were living in Vermont, Trans rights in Khandhar etc.

I was told in 2003 by senior Afghans that we should leave within a year as the general population thought we were becoming an occupying force and then the Talib would recruit far and wide.

Russia won't get involved at all apart from ensuring that Jihadis are kept largely away from their buffer stans (read 'The Bear went over the Mountain' and 'Zinky Boys') they have had the full Afghan experince and won't go for it again.

China will make minor forays in the East but will get slaughtered and exterminate in return (no media oversight for them), Iran will up expand its influence in the west including Herat but mostly to keep the heroin barons from running convoys into Iran and to stop general Afghan banditry.

The above is just a rerun of the Afghan, Persian, Chinese dance, thousands of years old.

Not really that was just a massively financed media op, covered up lots of stuff so we could declare victory and leave many years after we intended to exit (on this watch the superb BBC 4 doc 'Once apon a time in Iraq' on iplayer - genuinly amazing telly and I loath the BBC).

Well that happens which it likely it will be because there was no plan apart from Politicos not wanting to be the ones to admit we lost and so leaving it for the next ones elected to solve, plus the money making machine it became for the MIC & aid industry, both with huge lobbying engines in Washington.

AQ knew what they were doing when a few days before 9/11 Ahmad Shah Massoud (peace be upon him) leader of the anti Taliban Northern Alliance was assasinated by two 'Belgium reporters' using a suicide bomb in a camera (back then pro TV cameras were still largish with very big batteries). AQ knew that Massoud backed by an enraged West post 9/11, would crush the Talib and rebuild Afghanistan, by killing him they knew that the US would be bogged down in Afghanistan, with no reliable or competant local partners, and like the Soviets losing blood and treasure for years for no result.

OBL (& ISI) wins this one from the grave.
The Lion of Panjshir, and Abdul Haq (peace be upon them both, and coincidentally, particularly to say their names on Eid al-Adha).

Last edited:
The Lion of Panjshir, and Abdul Haq (peace be upon them both, and coincidentally, particularly to say their names on Eid).
Indeed, may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon them both and watch over their families.

Abdul Haq was a giant and if he and Massoud had lived, Afghanistan would have been very, very different today.

Indeed, may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon them both and watch over their families.

Abdul Haq was a giant and if he and Massoud had lived, Afghanistan would have been very, very different today.
.. in a good way, for the Afghan people and for the world.

Last edited:

Poppycock

Old-Salt
AQ knew what they were doing when a few days before 9/11 Ahmad Shah Massoud
Was that done by AQ though?

The assassins were guests of Saudi sponsored Wahhabi Warlord Abdul Rasul Sayyaf for weeks before they got permission to enter the Panjshir valley, and Massoud only agreed to the interview after lots of cajoling by Sayyaf and Sayyaf vouching for the 'journalists'.

Sayyaf has the honorific title of Ustad, or professor. One of the 9/11 hijacker's last messages, sent about the same time as Massoud's killers had gained entry to the Panjshir, was: "Give my regards to the Professor."

The 1993 WTC bomber trained in one of Sayyaf's camps & 9/11 mastermind KSM was employed by Sayyaf from 1988-92. The Bojinka plot that KSM was involved in in 1994 was planned in the Philippines, where Sayyaf has a terror group, Abu Sayyaf, named in his honour.

Can you see where I'm going with this? I think 9/11 was Sayyaf's baby, his plan to defeat his enemy the Taliban using US forces to do it.

And here's the mind bender: a photo of Sayyaf & US Sec of State Mike Pompeo shaking hands, taken in 2019:
sayyaf pompeo.jpg

Declassified CIA assessment of Sayyaf from 1985 here: https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP85T01058R000406230001-1.pdf

Here's another clue ref. 9/11:
obl 911 statements.png

We've gone from US air support to Taliban attacking Daesh in February to reports of Daesh using Taliban prisoners as human shields between them and the ANDSF in yesterday's Jalalabad prison attack
Another total Afghan flustercuck. Took them nearly 24 hours to get under control. Undoubtedly intelligence failures to allow such an attack to occur. And over three hundred prisoners on the loose still (likely much more than that as Afghans aren’t good at math and are very good at lying).

flustercuck.

And did i say, flustercuck.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads