Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

The Afghans are a product of their ‘civilisation’ (a euphemism.), their heritage, (violent), and their present place in human advancement (low down on the scale.)

Put bluntly as w*nkers from way back, they have neither covered themselves in glory nor impressed as a country, that deserves aid, sympathy, or extraordinary efforts to preserve.

Perhaps an area that should be allowed to self destruct.
Unfortunatly they have been flooding into Europe for the last twenty years bringing their ways with them.

Today's news from Kunduz (airstrikes on a hospital after a Taliban offensive) makes me think the civil war has started already, like a rewind to 1988.

And did Trump's tweets today refer to continued withdrawal, a new mission or a compensated dating arrangement with the Taliban? It's all so confusing.

Numerous attacks across Afghanistan over the past week.

Taliban testing the limits of the withdrawal agreement with regards to attacking cities and populated areas.

Be interesting to see what, if any, US response there is. They’ve been threatening retaliation for the increase in violence for a few weeks now but haven’t followed through.

Ghani sending Afghan forces on the offensive may actually play into Taliban hands and leave less wriggle room for US involvement.

Taliban have been very clever throughout the conflict and continue to lead the way in bending the rules.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Lock-down blues? Stuck indoors and bored? Set up a CQB gallery in your attic!

Looks like an excellent use of space and time in Kabul - hats off to whoever got this party going

(not quite latest fighting I know, but close enough I thought)

Poppycock

Old-Salt
A three day cease fire for the Eid holiday, first declared by Taliban & then reciprocated by ANDSF CinC Ghani

That's a big turn around from the offensive against the Taliban that Ghani ordered 10-days ago, in the wake of the Daesh attack on the baby hospital in Kabul

Anyone want an ice-cream?

Last edited:
A three day cease fire for the Eid holiday, first declared by Taliban & then reciprocated by ANDSF CinC Ghani

That's a big turn around from the offensive against the Taliban that Ghani ordered 10-days ago, in the wake of the Daesh attack on the baby hospital in Kabul
Anyone want an ice-cream?
They can thank Khalilzad for the ceasefire. Another thing that the Afghans couldn't sort out themselves.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
They can thank Khalilzad for the ceasefire. Another thing that the Afghans couldn't sort out themselves.
Khalilzad has played an essential role, but if I was going to credit just one man for the ceasefire, I'd thank Trump.

I can't wait to see the Taliban at Camp David for the holidays :grin::grin:

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Don’t hold your breath.
I'm holding my breath for 14mths going off this @sigarhq tweet:

Khalilzad, Trump & even Mike Pompeo seem pretty determined to finish this:
pompeo taliban.jpg

A US withdraw, causing the obligatory withdrawal of coalition partners could signal the death knell for an already divided NATO (I'm optimistic on both fronts):
nato summit trump.jpg

Last combat deaths caused by hostile forces were on 11 Jan 2020, 2-US army KIA by IED in Kandahar, so maybe, just maybe, we've seen the last of these types of headlines:
Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 03.29.32.png

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Cancel the cancellation:

The US House Armed Services Committee trying to force US forces to STAY IN Afghanistan while they investigate Russia sponsoring the Taliban

Is there currently a separate US combat mission in Afghanistan (apart from Resolute Support?)?
Depends on how you want to ask the question. If you look at like this....there is NATO and there is NATO and America. USFORA out of Bagram has its mission within the RS Mission.

Depends on how you want to ask the question. If you look at like this....there is NATO and there is NATO and America. USFORA out of Bagram has its mission within the RS Mission.
ok I suppose what I’m asking is (I hope) is there US forces engaged in Afghanistan In combat That isn’t Afghan led?
Independent combat ops?

or are they advise, mentor and support only?

Poppycock

Old-Salt
First US air strikes against Taliban since the Eid ceasefire, which was about 6wks ago

I think it was March when the US provided air SUPPORT to the Taliban in their battle against Daesh

(You would be hard pushed to make this shit up)

Last edited:
New TTPs, or just a new supply of ordnance?

'An Afghan helicopter was attacked in the country’s south this week by what United States and Afghan officials say was a missile rarely seen in the hands of the Taliban, raising new concerns for a beleaguered Afghan military and questions about who supplied the weapon.

'On Monday, a Black Hawk helicopter was returning from a medical evacuation mission in Helmand Province and was preparing to land. It is unclear if the helicopter had touched down or was hovering just feet off the ground when it was struck by an anti-tank guided missile, American and Afghan officials said. At least two of the crew members aboard were wounded, one critically.

'It was the second attack of its kind this year. In January, another Afghan helicopter was hit by an anti-tank guided missile in the same area near the Kajaki Dam, a swath of territory long contested by the Taliban, the officials said. Initial reports at the time were inconclusive about what had struck the helicopter.

'American and Afghan officials claim the weapons used in both strikes were most likely supplied by Iran, but they offered no evidence to support the assertion. The accusation would be alarming if true, as the influx of anti-tank guided missiles could not only give the Taliban a tactical advantage over the Afghan military but also suggest Tehran was trying to undermine the American mission as it is poised to wind down. Iran has denied supplying weapons to the Taliban.'

NemoIII

War Hero
News reports stating that the ANDSAF have taken around 10,000 Casualties since the "Peace Agreement" no wonder certain people in US Government are trying to halt this.

The US is literally throwing the Afghans under the bus, while NATO is arguing for another 5 years for mentoring.

News reports stating that the ANDSAF have taken around 10,000 Casualties since the "Peace Agreement" no wonder certain people in US Government are trying to halt this.

The US is literally throwing the Afghans under the bus, while NATO is arguing for another 5 years for mentoring.
This is as good as it gets.

Afghans need to be thrown under the bus. Too many years of getting fat on western largesse and support have rendered them incompetent beyond belief. Let them get on with it and fix it. The country is not worth another penny of western money or worse, western lives.

NemoIII

War Hero
This is as good as it gets.

Afghans need to be thrown under the bus. Too many years of getting fat on western largesse and support have rendered them incompetent beyond belief. Let them get on with it and fix it. The country is not worth another penny of western money or worse, western lives.
I agree with that, however a gradual draw down leaving mentors similar to the arrangement we have in Iraq would be a better option surely?

Reduces the risks of ISIS-K and other terrorist groups having a resurgence.

Many place in the world could be left to get on and deal with it themselves, Cyprus, Bosnia, Mali, Iraq, Ukraine etc.

Latest Threads