Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

So the current deal is simply to allow the US to cut and run, and allow the Taliban to focus all their efforts and energy against GIRoA. You can understand why GIRoA hasn't bought it.

It’s a deal between the US and Taliban. That’s it. Forget the US, they are there in spirt only

The biggest hurdle to fighting - the US presence - is being removed.

Now the conditions should be there for the Taliban/Government to talk. But they can’t. Cannot make it any simpler than that.

Both Taliban/Government will carry on with the national sport, which has been in vogue since they began littering the Afghan landscape.

Killing each other.

Why stop now?

Both Taliban/Government will carry on with the national sport, which has been in vogue since they began littering the Afghan landscape.

Killing each other.

Why stop now?
We can be quite sure it won't stop until the Taliban have killed (or at least killed off) the current Government and install themselves as the rulers.

I just don't see that they will move from the Caliphate, Allah's will, Sharia line of thinking and that, despite what they might say now, they know this is exactly where they are going to take things.

Hollow deals, false promises and martyrs are absolutely part and parcel of how to get there.

The best thing the US can do which they have in small doses already is "help" the Taliban against ISIS. Whilst everything is fragile whatever happens in Afghanistan, this common goal may help future discussion, even with GIRoA.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yup.

To summarise many of the posts (if not all) I have read on the matter, there is no hope and the rest of the world is going to leave them to it because, even if we pretend otherwise with words of hope, we know there is no hope.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
the US agreed to a one-sided, poorly worded agreement, which has totally betrayed their "Afghan partners
Why does this sound familiar ?

1589541884722.png

1589542099899.png

@Hubert van-Es

1589542586909.png

1589542465695.png

Andrews AFB, May 1977

HSF

LE
the whole farce seems to me to be a gross insult to all the allied troops & afghan civis who were killed or maimed out there.All for what?
PS never been there ,not my war but I feel anger & bitterness towards those rresponsable so hell knows what you blokes who served out there feel.Lawyers & Polerticians eh?Shakespear had the right idea.

The Afghans are a product of their ‘civilisation’ (a euphemism.), their heritage, (violent), and their present place in human advancement (low down on the scale.)

Put bluntly as w*nkers from way back, they have neither covered themselves in glory nor impressed as a country, that deserves aid, sympathy, or extraordinary efforts to preserve.

Perhaps an area that should be allowed to self destruct.

The Afghans are a product of their ‘civilisation’ (a euphemism.), their heritage, (violent), and their present place in human advancement (low down on the scale.)

Put bluntly as w*nkers from way back, they have neither covered themselves in glory nor impressed as a country, that deserves aid, sympathy, or extraordinary efforts to preserve.

I'm not sure there is anything that anyone could do to stop them self destructing. If anyone has any bright ideas then let's hear them.

For Afghans, everything is about the here and now. On all levels they are incapable of thinking long term. While that mindset exists the country will go absolutely nowhere.

For Afghans, everything is about the here and now. On all levels they are incapable of thinking long term. While that mindset exists the country will go absolutely nowhere.
For their recent examples of cutting off noses of abused wives who wish to leave, to the storming of a maternity unit and killing mother and new born babies, they continue to demonstrate, here, and now, both individually, and in groups, just how far they still have to go in simple basic civilised behaviour.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Given the corrupt £$%^-wits in Kabul can't even hold a legitimate election or form a functioning government, I can't blame the US for washing their hands of them and walking away.

The latest compromise is another power sharing deal with the kidnapping/torturing/raping General Dostum appointed as enforcer.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg of $%^&-ups we've created/allowed to thrive in Kabul. Anyone defending the shower of shit in Whitehall, Vauxhall and elsewhere that pissed so much of our blood & treasure up the wall to get us to this point needs a long hard look at themselves.

It's been a shameless disaster from beginning to end. Especially the middle bit.

Given the corrupt £$%^-wits in Kabul can't even hold a legitimate election or form a functioning government, I can't blame the US for washing their hands of them and walking away.

The latest compromise is another power sharing deal with the kidnapping/torturing/raping General Dostum appointed as enforcer.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg of $%^&-ups we've created/allowed to thrive in Kabul. Anyone defending the shower of shit in Whitehall, Vauxhall and elsewhere that pissed so much of our blood & treasure up the wall to get us to this point needs a long hard look at themselves.

It's been a shameless disaster from beginning to end. Especially the middle bit.
This 'deal' is one of the sickest in a long line of sick things. Nobody in Afghanistan voted for this, but this is the outcome of the 'elections'. Truly shameful.

Dostum is still under investigation for abducting, torturing and trying to rape an old man. Yet now, he's about to be made Marshall.

Country needs fencing off and let them fight it out til the end.

aardvark64

Old-Salt

triggerigger

War Hero
Personally I'd like to see every single citizen over 14 not already tooled up given anAK, 4 full mags and a 6 pack of grenades. then gtfo . Fight amongst yourselves

Funny how Dostum was recently in Turkey during exile. Those that have experienced Kabul, the make up of certain military and how they go about their business would not be surprised.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
This 'deal' is one of the sickest in a long line of sick things. Nobody in Afghanistan voted for this, but this is the outcome of the 'elections'. Truly shameful.

Dostum is still under investigation for abducting, torturing and trying to rape an old man. Yet now, he's about to be made Marshall.

Country needs fencing off and let them fight it out til the end.
Today's news from Kunduz (airstrikes on a hospital after a Taliban offensive) makes me think the civil war has started already, like a rewind to 1988.

And did Trump's tweets today refer to continued withdrawal, a new mission or a compensated dating arrangement with the Taliban? It's all so confusing.

Latest Threads