Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

It's depressing on one hand that the Taliban are going to be able to record a win against NATO. There never was any victory to be found here. The focus mus now be on containing the scum within the Afghan borders. They can do whatever they like as long as they stay inside Afghanistan. If they start kicking off again or providing a harbour for terrorist, ISIS types then we'll have to smash them from the air.
No, no, no: you've got to keep drinking the SecGen's Kool-Aid. NATO, the world's most successful Alliance in history, has never lost anything (which is why It's been in Kosovo for over 20 yeas now, with no end in sight for the mission). RESOLUTE SUPPORT is a huge success. It will be a bilateral US-Afghan decision to cease hostilities, while NATO has only ever been there to provide security to the Afghan people.;)

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Progress (sarcastic) in the reduction of violence element of the US / Taliban pact:

There's been no attacks on Western forces (since 29 Feb I assume) and the US is going to stop publicly announcing how many times the ANDSF have been attacked by the Taliban (it's quite a lot I think)

US is down to less than 10,000pax in theatre (just enough for in house duties & washing down the vehicles I'd guess) and I read President Trump is pushing for an accelerated Afghan withdrawal due to the bad flu threat

Anyone got any news on the mood among Resolute Support forces in Kabul, KAF, etc?

Its definitely getting less shall we say busy for the US. They are still countrywide but to be fair for the past year or so they have haven't exactly been leading from the front, letting the ANDSF take the sort of lead.

Progress (sarcastic) in the reduction of violence element of the US / Taliban pact:

There's been no attacks on Western forces (since 29 Feb I assume) and the US is going to stop publicly announcing how many times the ANDSF have been attacked by the Taliban (it's quite a lot I think)

US is down to less than 10,000pax in theatre (just enough for in house duties & washing down the vehicles I'd guess) and I read President Trump is pushing for an accelerated Afghan withdrawal due to the bad flu threat

Anyone got any news on the mood among Resolute Support forces in Kabul, KAF, etc?
The US has completely had their pants pulled down by the Taliban over the deal. US is now bleating about the Taliban not honouring their commitments. Funnily, in their rush to get out, the US agreed to a one-sided, poorly worded agreement, which has totally betrayed their "Afghan partners". Now, with the wheels in motion for withdrawal, the US is trying act like they are in a position of strength. The saying about watches and time has never rung truer. Complete flustercuck. They've also pulled NATOs pants down and shoved a cactus up their asses too.

The US has completely had their pants pulled down by the Taliban over the deal. US is now bleating about the Taliban not honouring their commitments. Funnily, in their rush to get out, the US agreed to a one-sided, poorly worded agreement, which has totally betrayed their "Afghan partners". Now, with the wheels in motion for withdrawal, the US is trying act like they are in a position of strength. The saying about watches and time has never rung truer. Complete flustercuck. They've also pulled NATOs pants down and shoved a cactus up their asses too.
In fairness, it was always a dead cert that Unca Sam would cut and run at some point, it just happened to be Obama who set that ball a rollin'. Whether he mighta made the exit more graceful, or if that's a testament to Trump's innate ineptitude is but an incidental detail.

There is no way NATO will have any presence south Ghazni or even Kabul once the US have gone. Bases like KAF (too big to man unless it was NATO plural and not NATO US stylee) and Bastion (what is inhabited) relied on a lot of overwatch by both manned and unmanned air assets...all of which were US. Bases like TK and Shank that were left by the Aus/US respectively then redone again will close fairly quickly once those US assets in the South go. The Afghans wont have the stomach and the Taliban will have even more free reign than they already have. They will have ISIS to worry about anyway as they certainly do not fit in with Taliban way of thinking. With homegrown issues of Covid19 killing more people than the soldier/civ tally in Afghanistan, no one will be too worried about the locals once the US pull out.

It's the inevitable from the outset unfolding in front of our eyes.

Those who thought (or still think) otherwise were indeed short-sighted and trusting beyond naivety. The sort that any snake oil type shark would spot a mile off and home in to for an oh so easy kill.

No, no, it's all NATO's fault, not the bigly great Trump administration. ;)

'The government's internal watchdog for Afghan reconstruction said that when the U.S. signed a short-term peace deal, NATO stopped releasing Taliban attack data. NATO's military mission stopped reporting the number of attacks by the Taliban in Afghanistan after the U.S. signed a peace agreement with the group, according to the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, or SIGAR.

'NATO's Resolute Support mission said it was not releasing the number because attacks by the Taliban "are now a critical part of deliberative interagency discussions regarding ongoing political negotiations between the U.S. and the Taliban," according to SIGAR's quarterly report to Congress about Afghanistan.

'The U.S. signed an agreement with the Taliban on Feb. 29 to begin a weeklong reduction of violence and to start talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government. According to the report, Resolute Support said that from March 1 to 31, "the Taliban refrained from attacks against Coalition Forces" but increased attacks against Afghan National Defense Forces "to levels above seasonal norms." Since the agreement was signed, NATO's Resolute Support mission has refused to provide the number of attacks by the Taliban to the public, the report said.'

Bit of a shit day for the ANDSF Scorpions down near Gereshk:
More here.

'The Taliban has claimed responsibility for an attack at a military centre in southern Helmand province in Afghanistan where at least 150 members of Afghan army and intelligence wing had been stationed. The bombing occurred on Sunday night, government officials and Taliban said. "Dozens of members belonging to the enemy forces have been killed and wounded in the attack," said Qari Yousuf Ahmedi, a spokesman for the hardline Islamist group in a statement. The defence ministry confirmed the blast, and said one member of the army was injured.

'Afghan forces in the past two months have suffered heavy casualties across the country. The violence poses an immediate threat to a fragile peace deal between the United States and the Taliban, signed in February, as the Afghan military is forced to fight an emboldened Taliban with less American support. An intelligence officer who survived the attack at the military centre told Reuters that militants detonated a truck bomb near the facility for National Directorate of Security (NDS) and army forces. The officer said he helped to pull out at least 18 bodies from the blast site.

'In a separate incident, police in south eastern Paktika province said at least 20 people were injured on Sunday evening when Taliban fighters threw a hand grenade into a mosque in Khayerkot district.'

No, no, it's all NATO's fault, not the bigly great Trump administration. ;)

Well maybe NATO Mission Resolute Support but its always been a US 4* running the show. To be fair at a HQ RS level whilst it may seem like US centric (majority of the HQ staff are US with 2i/c being UK) it does try and do it the NATO way. Compare that with United States of Bagram up the road which will do things that certainly HQ RS dont know is going on.
Funny thing is when you look at the leadership page of HQ RS its certainly written by an american for americans. Prime example when describing who HQ RS DCOM is who happens to be a UK chap......
"Lt Col - Commanding Officer 1st Battalion the Parachute Regiment; the UK’s Tier 2 SOF (Ranger Regiment) on operations in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Another day, another statistically free event for RESOLUTE SUPPORT as no NATO casualties sustained.

'A suicide bomber in eastern Afghanistan has killed or wounded at least 50 men in an attack on the funeral of a police commander, attended by government officials and a member of parliament.

'The Taliban denied responsibility for Tuesday's attack on the mourners gathered in Khewa district of Nangarhar province on the border with Pakistan. Islamic State militants are known to operate in the province.

'Sohrab Qaderi, a member of Nangarhar's provincial council, said at least 50 people were killed or wounded. The member of parliament, Hazrat Ali, survived, he said. Attaullah Khogayani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said up to 50 people were killed or wounded.'

A even worse end to a bad day. Maternity hospitals don't seem line a typical Taliban target (no popularity contest to be won doing that), so assume this was Da'esh keeping things on the boil. If Western troops do manage to extract themselves from Afghanistan, I assume Da'esh's recruiting base will take a significant hit, as there will no longer be western infidels to kill (although the Hazara and other Shia in the country will remain targets, as may have been the case in this atrocity).

'Militants stormed a maternity hospital in the western part of Kabul on Tuesday (local time), setting off an hours-long shootout with the police and killing 14 people, including two newborn babies, their mothers and an unspecified number of nurses, Afghan officials said.

'While the battle was underway, Afghan security forces struggled to evacuate the facility, carrying out babies and frantic young mothers, according to images shared by the Interior Ministry.

'Soon after the Kabul attack started, black smoke rose into the sky over the hospital in Dashti Barchi, a mostly Shiite neighbourhood that has been the site of many past attacks by Islamic State militants. The Interior Ministry spokesman, Tareq Arian, said over 100 women and babies were evacuated from the building before it was over.'

Last edited:
And that looks like another attempt at a peace deal now stillborn. Da'esh will be pleased with their results.

'A deal hoped to pave the way for peace in Afghanistan could be in tatters, after 34 people were killed in separate attacks on Tuesday.

'The president has ordered the military to resume offensive operations against the Taliban and other armed groups. But the Taliban denies any responsibility for the violence.'

And that looks like another attempt at a peace deal now stillborn. Da'esh will be pleased with their results.

'A deal hoped to pave the way for peace in Afghanistan could be in tatters, after 34 people were killed in separate attacks on Tuesday.

'The president has ordered the military to resume offensive operations against the Taliban and other armed groups. But the Taliban denies any responsibility for the violence.'

I've been in Afghanistan for 10 years and throughout the Afghans have said "once we get to intra-Afghan talks it will be ok", "let the Afghans talk'. They cannot even get that far.

I've been in Afghanistan for 10 years and throughout the Afghans have said "once we get to intra-Afghan talks it will be ok", "let the Afghans talk'. They cannot even get that far.
I think part of the issue with this latest attempt has been that to a very large extent it has been a US-Taliban dialogue, with GIRoA side-lined and therefore has not bought into the deal.

I think part of the issue with this latest attempt has been that to a very large extent it has been a US-Taliban dialogue, with GIRoA side-lined and therefore has not bought into the deal.
They don’t have to buy into the deal. Its between the US and Taliban only. It should have set the conditions for them to talk, but too much willy waving. They’ll blow the best chance they’ve had.

They don’t have to buy into the deal. Its between the US and Taliban only. It should have set the conditions for them to talk, but too much willy waving. They’ll blow the best chance they’ve had.
So the current deal is simply to allow the US to cut and run, and allow the Taliban to focus all their efforts and energy against GIRoA. You can understand why GIRoA hasn't bought it.

Latest Threads