Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Don't you just love twitter...

A conference call between POTUS and the Taliban, with the US peace envoy present.

The Taliban spokesperson in Qatar quoted the call:
President Trump said: I'm glad to talk to you. You are strong people and you have a great country and I know you are fighting for your land. We've been there for X years (auto translation error) and it's been a long time. Now the withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan is for everyone's benefit.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
They will lie through their teeth, they just want the yanks out so they can take it back to some idealistic 2nd century BC state
I hope the yanks keep their ears and eyes open, and keep an eye on our Pakistani" FRIENDS "
perhaps we should just drop massive quantities of weapons on each village and let them fight it out with the taliban and each other
winner keeps all

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Mike Pompeo didn’t sign, or co-sign any deal.
But he did shake hands with Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai, the Afghan Taliban politician currently serving as the group's political chief :grin:
pompeo taliban.jpg

Edited to add the US State Dept flicker pic and details:
Secretary Pompeo Participates in a Signing Ceremony in Doha
Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo participates in a signing ceremony in Doha, Qatar, on February 29, 2020. [State Department photo by Ron Przysucha/ Public Domain]

Last edited:
They will lie through their teeth, they just want the yanks out so they can take it back to some idealistic 2nd century BC state
I hope the yanks keep their ears and eyes open, and keep an eye on our Pakistani" FRIENDS "
perhaps we should just drop massive quantities of weapons on each village and let them fight it out with the taliban and each other
winner keeps all
US needs to forget Pakistan. It should find a high seat, buy popcorn and watch that neck of the woods go up in smoke.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Ashraf Ghani has refused to meet US Peace envoy Mr Khalilzad (seems a bit mad)

Add Trump & Taliban's telephone conference this week and it looks like the battle lines have shifted:

Trump + Taliban v's NATO + NUG

Tweet translation: "Ashraf Ghani has refused to meet Khalilzad"

Just goes to illustrate that, even if a successful peace process could be concluded between the USA, GIRoA and the Taliban, the travails of the Afghan people will still be far from over.

'Gunmen have killed at least 27 people and wounded 29 more in Afghanistan's capital at a remembrance ceremony for a minority Shi'ite leader.

'Several prominent political leaders escaped the Friday ceremony unhurt, including Abdullah Abdullah, the country's chief executive and a top contender in last year's presidential election. Afghan security forces were still trying to flush the gunmen out of a half-finished apartment building, Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said.

'The Taliban denied involvement in the attack. It came just days after the United States and the Taliban signed an ambitious peace deal that lays out a conditions-based path to the withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan. The Islamic State group has attacked Afghan Shi'ites in the past and views the religious minority as heretics.'

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Trump sounds like he's washed his hands of the Afghan government / forces, speaking here from 22 to 45-secs, sounding quite content for the Taliban to roll back in to power:

Trump sounds like he's washed his hands of the Afghan government / forces, speaking here from 22 to 45-secs, sounding quite content for the Taliban to roll back in to power:
It was always the case that sooner or later we would give up. I believe a Taliban saying was that NATO troops had the watches but that they had the time. Who would honestly believe that any Western nation was prepared to keep up the kind of presence to manage the peace for decades and decades, a process of dwindle and eventual end always the outcome.

The tribal/feudal/religious lot have been at their shenanigans for centuries, they haven't changed their attitudes or behaviours one iota nor will they. Back to the Stone Age and all the unpleasantness that means for everyone else, suffering for the local population and bumper opium harvests for the rest of the world.

Slightly deviating from the thread title I was interested in the International Criminal Court (ICC) deciding that alleged crimes by US troops and the Taliban fighters can be pursued, does this have echoes of the Good Friday agreement in that names and evidence against troops is likely to be easier obtained than that of the terrorists, there will be no truth and reconciliation type process involved here.

In addition I can find no such ruling or any historical record from the ICC on investigation of reports of Soviet troops same type of crimes allegations from their time in Afghanistan.

Assuming both the above to be the case then does this then bring the reputation of ICC into question? It will look one sided rather than a balanced judicial body tainted with political overtones so amplifying the same kinds of concerns that some African countries have already voiced.

If so then it's not going to be long before the US simply states this is an axiom and that there is no working justice function to cooperate with and US would simply be pawns in a political witch-hunt come kangaroo court. I bet Shiner wishes he could jump onto this gravy train.

Poppycock

Old-Salt
Did anyone see this in the news since peace agreement signing? I've only just noticed it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 23.24.36.png

Op Freedom Sentinel actually finished with the signing of the peace agreement on the 29 Feb

I read on 04 March the USAF blocked a Taliban attack on an ANDSF base with bombs, so are they operating under Op Resolute Support now, i.e. was a NATO mission on the 4th?

The list of belligerents is quite amusing when seen in full, especially given the result
Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 23.31.25.png

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Slightly deviating from the thread title I was interested in the International Criminal Court (ICC) deciding that alleged crimes by US troops and the Taliban fighters can be pursued, does this have echoes of the Good Friday agreement in that names and evidence against troops is likely to be easier obtained than that of the terrorists, there will be no truth and reconciliation type process involved here.

In addition I can find no such ruling or any historical record from the ICC on investigation of reports of Soviet troops same type of crimes allegations from their time in Afghanistan.

Assuming both the above to be the case then does this then bring the reputation of ICC into question? It will look one sided rather than a balanced judicial body tainted with political overtones so amplifying the same kinds of concerns that some African countries have already voiced.

If so then it's not going to be long before the US simply states this is an axiom and that there is no working justice function to cooperate with and US would simply be pawns in a political witch-hunt come kangaroo court. I bet Shiner wishes he could jump onto this gravy train.
I thought the Cousins didn't recognise the ICC?

The US is not a member of the ICC. That entity can kick rocks.

Although the right thing to do, another kick in the slats for the morale of troops, stuck in Afghanistan and wanting to get home.

'Thousands of American and NATO troops are scheduled to leave in the next few months, but quarantine procedures are complicating those efforts.

'The U.S. commander in Afghanistan is halting American and allied troops from entering Afghanistan and, in turn, preventing some troops from leaving, for the next month, American and European officials said. The planning reflects mounting concerns as the coronavirus has spread in the country in recent days. Gen. Austin S. Miller’s decision aims to protect his forces from the virus. But, in turn, it may complicate the drawdown of troops ordered by President Trump after the United States recently signed a peace agreement with the Taliban. American officials insist their Afghanistan drawdown will continue as planned following the peace deal. But, for now, European diplomats say they are not so sure.

<snip>

'American officials are particularly worried about the potential impact of the coronavirus on Afghanistan, and deeply concerned that the Afghan security forces, the troops they have trained to protect the country, will end up spreading it there. There are at least 22 confirmed coronavirus cases in Afghanistan, but testing is extremely limited and thousands of people from Iran, where the virus has spread and infected thousands, enter Afghanistan’s porous western reaches daily.
]'With squalid living conditions and poor health from years of fighting, Afghan troops are ill-equipped to stop the spread of the virus. And outside of the biggest cities in Afghanistan, the supplies of clean water are limited. Social distancing is also difficult, either in military barracks or rural Afghan villages. At earlier phases of the war, the American government has tracked the spread of various diseases to the tight quarters of Afghan military barracks. Several Afghan military bases, for example, had to fight infestations of bed bugs in past years after Afghan troops brought them into a barracks where they quickly spread. If an Afghan soldier caught the coronavirus from a NATO service member, the consequences would be far more devastating.

'But American troops returning from Afghanistan are also running into their own complications. The Pentagon’s directive to quarantine returning forces from overseas has created a short-term housing crisis as military commands have wrestled with putting large numbers of troops in areas with limited spaces and amenities for up to two weeks, a Defense Department official said. In past weeks, at least 300 troops from the 82nd Airborne division returning from Afghanistan have had to self-quarantine at Fort Bragg, N.C., and dozens more from the 1st Armored Division are doing the same at Fort Bliss, Tex.'

I read that the Taliban have agreed to health workers moving around the country to help contain COVID-19 as they recognise that neither they nor the Afghan authorities can manage this and the potential scale of impact cannot be ignored.

It also suggests they have lost faith in Allah to manage things so does that mean that by their own principles (trusting Pagans rather than Allah) they are now destined to go to Hell?

Even COVID-19 can't stop secular violence. Other reports saying 4 killed and 200 trapped by the attackers.

'Gunmen and suicide bombers have stormed a Sikh religious complex in the Afghan capital Kabul and were locked in a continuing battle with security forces, the Ministry of Interior has said. Security forces cordoned off the area, located in old Kabul, and were trying to counter the attack, which began at 7:45am local time, Ministry of Interior spokesman Tariq Arian said in a message to journalists.'

Did anyone see this in the news since peace agreement signing? I've only just noticed it.

View attachment 455381

Op Freedom Sentinel actually finished with the signing of the peace agreement on the 29 Feb

I read on 04 March the USAF blocked a Taliban attack on an ANDSF base with bombs, so are they operating under Op Resolute Support now, i.e. was a NATO mission on the 4th?

The list of belligerents is quite amusing when seen in full, especially given the result
View attachment 455382
It's depressing on one hand that the Taliban are going to be able to record a win against NATO. There never was any victory to be found here. The focus mus now be on containing the scum within the Afghan borders. They can do whatever they like as long as they stay inside Afghanistan. If they start kicking off again or providing a harbour for terrorist, ISIS types then we'll have to smash them from the air.

Coronavirus, what coronavirus: business as usual in Afghanistan.

'Taliban forces have taken control of a district headquarters in Afghanistan's northeastern province of Badakhshan, an overnight development that was followed on March 28 by an announcement that the militant group will not negotiate with a team recently unveiled by the Afghan government.

'The district headquarters in Yumgan was overrun by Taliban fighters after heavy fighting, resulting in an undetermined number of casualties, provincial councilors told the German dpa news agency. Four villages in neighboring Jurm district were also taken by the Taliban, according to the councilors. The militant group followed up on the development by announcing that it is refusing to deal with the 21-member team approved on March 26 by the Afghan government in an effort to end the country's 18-year-old war.'

Latest Threads