Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Poppycock

Clanker
So you can either blame all the others and not just the BBC
Now the BBC's fault.
It was you that blamed the BBC, not me. Stop being a dick, filling a serious thread with pointless posts

Back to the thread topic:
Stripes said:
KABUL, Afghanistan — An Air Force communications aircraft crashed in a Taliban-controlled area of central Afghanistan on Monday, after which video of the purported wreckage circulated on social media.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said the aircraft was a Bombardier E-11A, during a meeting with reporters in Washington on Monday. Goldfein did not confirm any further details.

“It appears we have lost an aircraft,” Goldfein said. “We don’t know the status of the crew.”

U.S. Forces-Afghanistan spokesman Col. Sonny Leggett said on Twitter that while the incident was under investigation, “there are no indications the crash was caused by enemy fire.”

The plane crashed around 1:30 p.m. Monday in Ghazni province, and initial reports suggest two or three people died, said Arif Noori, spokesman for the provincial governor.

From the pics its a E11A aircraft. Operated by contractors to carry out surveillance on behalf of the military. Depending on type its either the mil version or the posh civ version with teak wood in them! I know as at a certain airfield in Afghanistan i was showed around one. To be honest I am surprised it was shot down. They fly nearly everyday, very high up...Flightradar tracks them.
Taliban have form for claiming accidents are shoot downs - Im inclined to believe its the case here

Poppycock

Clanker
Taliban have form for claiming accidents are shoot downs - Im inclined to believe its the case here
Again from the Stripes report:
Stripes said:
The Taliban said in a Pashto-language statement that the U.S. plane crashed and that their fighters “had downed it tactically.”
I guess the tactic they could be referring to is their 15+ year insurgency, i.e. if they weren't still resisting the plane probably wouldn't have been flying there. But yes, I agree that it wasn't likely brought down by enemy action.

The Stripes report on this is very good for detail & context: US communications plane crashes in Afghanistan

Edited to add: This incident will make Inspector General Sopko's meeting with the House of Representitives tomorrow extra interesting. It can be viewed live by following the link here:

Interesting to see the make up of the crew involved.

Poppycock

Clanker
From the pics its a E11A aircraft. Operated by contractors to carry out surveillance on behalf of the military. Depending on type its either the mil version or the posh civ version with teak wood in them! I know as at a certain airfield in Afghanistan i was showed around one. To be honest I am surprised it was shot down. They fly nearly everyday, very high up...Flightradar tracks them.
This is claimed to be a video of the wreckage, posted to twitter 8hrs ago

A longer video here showing both sides of the plane

Is there through-and-through damage to the vertical tail fin, seen at 58secs & 1min 18secs ?
When planes are brought down they tend to either explode all over the sky or plummet nose first.

In your video - has that plane crash landed, given the marks left behind? Were there any captured?

Poppycock

Clanker
In your video
It's not my video

has that plane crash landed, given the marks left behind? Were there any captured?
I'm going to wait for BBC News updates before speculating... the World Service news is currently reporting on a family's worries about the health dangers of competitive eating after the death of their Mother during a cake eating contest. There's been no mention of a US plane crashing in Taliban control territory in Afghanistan yet.

There have been rumours on twitter that the plane could be have been bought down by Chinese bat-soup flu related symptoms (that comment isn't as flippant as it may sound).

Poppycock

Clanker
There's a dedicated thread on the US plane downing in Afghanistan today, here:

It was started by @Ritch 5-hours before he started posting trashy replies in this thread, without mentioning his dedicated thread on the same subject. Curious.

And how many other news publications do the same thing. All the time you see "Breaking" and "There are reports of" in the same story. There were reports of a civilian plane that had crashed and this was said by the Afghan government.

There's a dedicated thread on the US plane downing in Afghanistan today, here:

It was started by @Ritch 5-hours before he started posting trashy replies in this thread, without mentioning his dedicated thread on the same subject. Curious.
Well done trigger. You sound upset. Almost as if in your previous guise as No4 Mk1 you had an an obsession with Afghanistan and continue to do so on your blog.

Ritch

LE

Ritch

LE
Thanks for the dumb rating @Poppycock

Again, I'm curious - please show me where I was being "trashy", otherwise I'll come to the conclusion that y'know, you can't find anything.

Thanks for the dumb rating @Poppycock

Again, I'm curious - please show me where I was being "trashy", otherwise I'll come to the conclusion that y'know, you can't find anything.
Indeed. Having caught up on the thread (made a great alternative to my OU assignment), I'm still baffled as to what trash you have been talking good sir!

Poppycock

Clanker
Credible and consistent reports of CIA backed NDS death squads murdering political dissidents and committing other assorted War Crimes (latest report from the foreign policy website)

The Afghan national army still getting its arrse kicked and the sensible ones switching sides in droves (according to Terry)

The September 2019 Presidential election is so ****ed-up that SIGAR is now giving quarterly updates

Airplanes, helicopters and drones dropping out of the sky at an alarming rate (various sources)

Is there any good news other than for the [insert weapon manufacturer's name here] salesmen?

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 21.00.08.png

Poppycock

Clanker
In lieu of any good news from Afghanistan I'll ask if the military times.com is reliable?

They're saying (23mins ago, i.e. Saturday 08 Feb):

"Report says multiple U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan firefight"
Twitter has mentioned an insider attack, but the military times is talking about enemy action in Nangarhar Province

Poppycock

Clanker
The New York times correspondent in Afghanistan seems to be the best informed - he's talking about an argument between US & Afghan force over what channel to watch / whose round it was turning in to a full on fire fight

EDITED TO ADD THIS TWEETED CLAIM... if anywhere near accurate this sounds SO f'ed.up

Last edited:
Well...

Poppycock

Clanker
A new battle front in Afghanistan opening up maybe?

My favourite Warlord speech of 2020 so far, copied from twitter and linked below. Does anyone know if there's been any reports of headless chickens in the Western diplomatic zone? This is sure to put the cat amongst the pigeons - does anyone know whose side we're on yet?

A new battle front in Afghanistan opening up maybe?

My favourite Warlord speech of 2020 so far, copied from twitter and linked below. Does anyone know if there's been any reports of headless chickens in the Western diplomatic zone? This is sure to put the cat amongst the pigeons - does anyone know whose side we're on yet?

Just heathen jibber jabber surely ?
They jump up and down a lot, gesticulate en masse, maybe fire off an RPG or two.

Pretty ineffective , mostly.

( Yes , Twin Towers a pretty awesome hit )

Latest Threads