Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

The Taliban supported by Pakistan ... that Taliban?
It can't be the same Talib that all the senior member of, grew up in Pakistan?

This was the bit I seemed to remember, the Pakistani army going into the swat valley and some of the other tribally administered areas a few years ago. the taliban weren’t too keen on it apparently

I think the talibans (and there are enough different flavours for me not to understand all the different dynamics) relationship with Pakistan is pretty transactional.

Which seems like something of a trait in the region

This was the bit I seemed to remember, the Pakistani army going into the swat valley and some of the other tribally administered areas a few years ago. the taliban weren’t too keen on it apparently

Stop being a kn0b.

Stop being a kn0b.
You can’t just switch that kind of thing off you know, im not a machine.

I was just saying that it’s not clear cut. I don’t agree with @Busterdog either in that they’ll become America’s ally. What I reckon they will do is use any advantage they can (in this case Trumps separate goals to end the war and defeat isis) to get power, concessions or money out of the US in order to further their aims.

If Pakistan don’t like this the fact that they were based there, funded from there or even grew up there won’t matter and they’ve demonstrated that in the past.

You can’t just switch that kind of thing off you know, im not a machine.

I was just saying that it’s not clear cut. I don’t agree with @Busterdog either in that they’ll become America’s ally. What I reckon they will do is use any advantage they can (in this case Trumps separate goals to end the war and defeat isis) to get power, concessions or money out of the US in order to further their aims.

If Pakistan don’t like this the fact that they were based there, funded from there or even grew up there won’t matter and they’ve demonstrated that in the past.
DD... not suggesting it will actually happen... I posed it more as a question. But then again - I remember CENTO... alliances change, dynamics change.

Poppycock

Clanker
“The enemy of my enemy“ etc. ......
Could that explain why the Taliban claim that Daesh have been 'rescued' by the Kabul government?
:)

Edited to add: After years of monitoring all news reports, and now backed by the Afghanistan Papers revelations, I admit I have a lot more confidence in the Taliban reports than any Afghan or Western media ones! A very sorry state of affairs...

Last edited:
Well, the son of a retired Pakistani Army officer friend of mine - and grandson of a British Indian Army Gurkha officer and RMC Sandhurst graduate - is currently on operations against them!
Wheels within wheels.
Even ISI finds it can only rent an Afghan.

US soldier killed in Afghanistan attack, Taliban claim responsibility
Issued on: 23/12/2019 - 07:08
Report by AFP on France 24 / Text Wires

The Taliban on Monday claimed responsibility for an attack on an American convoy that killed one US soldier and, according to the insurgents, wounded several more.

The killing is likely to have consequences for ongoing talks between the US and the Taliban. President Donald Trump in September declared negotiations "dead" after the Taliban killed a US soldier in a Kabul bombing.

Link to full article: US soldier killed in Afghanistan attack, Taliban claim responsibility

Interestingly, following the US operation to take out a certain Iranian General in Iraq, there has not been much of a reaction in Kabul by any of the usual suspects or organisations. In fact it has been rather quiet. Mind you the current temperatures of + 6 during the day and down to -8 at night and a bit of snow might be helping to keep the rascals at home.

Interestingly, following the US operation to take out a certain Iranian General in Iraq, there has not been much of a reaction in Kabul by any of the usual suspects or organisations. In fact it has been rather quiet. Mind you the current temperatures of + 6 during the day and down to -8 at night and a bit of snow might be helping to keep the rascals at home.
So the lazy c0nts won't fight in the hot or cold?

Poppycock

Clanker
When they say the Revolution will not be televised, is that dependant on which channel you're watching?

Maybe there have been 2-planes brought down in Afghanistan today, or maybe the British media really does deserve its title as the least trusted in Europe

Either way, Rest-in-Peace to those killed and sleepless nights to the silly $%^&ers who still have US / NATO forces deployed there supporting a bunch of bandits in Kabul (check @SIGARHQ to see where the context of that last comment comes from)

At 10.0am today the BBC reported an Ariana Airlines plane crash in Ghazni, Eastern Afghanistan:

At 10:30am, the daily fail reported a Boeing plane with 83-people on board crashing in Afghanistan

At 3.0pm today the Chinese People's Daily reported a US military plane shot down over Ghazni, Eastern Afghanistan

Ritch

LE
When they say the Revolution will not be televised, is that dependant on which channel you're watching?

Maybe there have been 2-planes brought down in Afghanistan today, or maybe the British media really does deserve its title as the least trusted in Europe

Either way, Rest-in-Peace to those killed and sleepless nights to the silly $%^&ers who still have US / NATO forces deployed there supporting a bunch of bandits in Kabul (check @SIGARHQ to see where the context of that last comment comes from)

At 10.0am today the BBC reported an Ariana Airlines plane crash in Ghazni, Eastern Afghanistan:

At 10:30am, the daily fail reported a Boeing plane with 83-people on board crashing in Afghanistan

At 3.0pm today the Chinese People's Daily reported a US military plane shot down over Ghazni, Eastern Afghanistan
It was reported widely, not just in the UK that the plane was a civilian commercial one. This was the Afghan Government that had put this out. Now the BBC's fault.

Poppycock

Clanker
It was reported widely
The BBC's updated report (same link as my post above) says:
Afghan authorities had initially said the crash plane belonged to state-owned airline Ariana, but the company quickly said all its planes were accounted for.
So the BBC published a report of a civilian airliner crashing without waiting for confirmation from the airline.

Call me pedantic if you like, but that strikes me as something so basic you'd fail a GCSE journalism exam for doing it

I think the talibans (and there are enough different flavours for me not to understand all the different dynamics) relationship with Pakistan is pretty transactional.

Which seems like something of a trait in the region
There are at least 41 groups of dissidents in Afghanistan, not all are related to Pakistan.

Ritch

LE
The BBC's updated report (same link as my post above) says:

So the BBC published a report of a civilian airliner crashing without waiting for confirmation from the airline.

Call me pedantic if you like, but that strikes me as something so basic you'd fail a GCSE journalism exam for doing it
And how many other news publications do the same thing. All the time you see "Breaking" and "There are reports of" in the same story. There were reports of a civilian plane that had crashed and this was said by the Afghan government.

So you can either blame all the others and not just the BBC or you can blame the Afghans for putting something out there that isn't true.

Latest Threads