Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

Agree about the MPs/Government though. They are in for a rude awakening once they are left to fend for themselves. They cant do it now with all the US might/money.
The quantity of US might, and the sums of US Dollars they receive lately are substantially lower than ever they were before Obama began to screw down the money tap a couple of years before the end of his tenure. The smarter analysts who were watching the budget projections then, were predicting this state of affairs even then - say half a decade ago, if not more.

At some point, it seems to me, Unca Sam is going to have to decide this is a lost cause. I can only imagine it's vanity or stupidity (POTUS lavishly endowed with both) that stands in the way, unless I'm missing a coherent grand strategy emanating discreetly from The Donald's office.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Not meant to be contentious but will history find that this was a waste of time do you think, what good have we really done? .

The quantity of US might, and the sums of US Dollars they receive lately are substantially lower than ever they were before Obama began to screw down the money tap a couple of years before the end of his tenure. The smarter analysts who were watching the budget projections then, were predicting this state of affairs even then - say half a decade ago, if not more.

At some point, it seems to me, Unca Sam is going to have to decide this is a lost cause. I can only imagine it's vanity or stupidity (POTUS lavishly endowed with both) that stands in the way, unless I'm missing a coherent grand strategy emanating discreetly from The Donald's office.
Financial assistance from the US is still there for government services etc. Not at the level it was admittedly. But the AFG has diversified slightly and is receiving multiple 'aid' to prop itself up. If (when) the US leaves, others will fill some of the financial void. China is waiting in the wings, for example. Don't underestimate Iran and India filling any void also.

The US has already decided its a lost cause. They cannot wait to leave. A dignified exit is what they are looking for, hence the increase in diplomacy recently.

To be honest though, its what the Afghans need: to be thrown under the bus and for themselves to sort it out. Too reliant on others and too willing to blame others. Let them deal with it. You cant help people who don't want help (just money).

Financial assistance from the US is still there for government services etc. Not at the level it was admittedly. But the AFG has diversified slightly and is receiving multiple 'aid' to prop itself up. If (when) the US leaves, others will fill some of the financial void. China is waiting in the wings, for example. Don't underestimate Iran and India filling any void also.

The US has already decided its a lost cause. They cannot wait to leave. A dignified exit is what they are looking for, hence the increase in diplomacy recently.

To be honest though, its what the Afghans need: to be thrown under the bus and for themselves to sort it out. Too reliant on others and too willing to blame others. Let them deal with it. You cant help people who don't want help (just money).
We're pretty much in heated agreement, although I am inclined to feel a certain sympathy (and hopelessness) for the poor, innocent and vulnerable children and families who catch most of the sh*t in circumstances like this, but I simply cannot imagine any affordable external intervention that has the slightest chance of dragging the region out of its past and into a bright future.

Geographically closer actors like China may wish to intervene, but it will be on the basis of profit or national security. Best interests of Afghans will figure only as a distant 3rd in the calculus - if that.

Last edited:
The last couple of pages of this thread are hilarious. The uninformed vigorously agreeing with the uninformed about something they are both equally uninformed about.

If I was going to argue vociferously about something I would do at least the most basic research. Otherwise what’s the point?