Afghan fighting - the latest reports.

The lads of 2 YORKS make up part of the Kabul Support Force (KSF (formerly KSU)) based in a couple of locations around Kabul, cutting around the place in Foxhounds etc.

As far as I'm aware (given that I'm in Kabul), the only dismounted patrols they'll do will be as part of an incident response. Looking at the locale in the photograph, I'll hazard a guess that this pic was taken in Qargha, the Afghan National Army Officer Academy (Sandhurst in the Sand). This photo was likely taken outside the wire, but within the greater ANA camp.
I believe I'm right in saying that no Brit forces, save perhaps SF, are deployed in combat roles in Afghanistan since 2014.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would explain why there's no news of them being in combat . .

Last edited:
I believe I'm right in say that no Brit forces, save perhaps SF, are deployed in combat roles in Afghanistan since 2014.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would explain why there's no news of them being in combat . .
Except Georgie Lane and a small team of Infantry, it was all over the TV ^~

I believe I'm right in say that no Brit forces, save perhaps SF, are deployed in combat roles in Afghanistan since 2014.

From what I understand, the KSF is simply in Kabul to provide assistance to NATO C/S in transit around the city, and to provide FP/Guardian Angels to the mentors etc. at ANAOA.

They aren't in a combat role; but certainly able to switch to a small scale one if necessary. There's few people daft enough to upset a couple of companies of Yorkies píssed off at having their lounge lizard ;) lifestyle interfered with....

Last edited:
From what I understand, the KSF is simply in Kabul to provide assistance to NATO C/S in transit around the city, and to provide FP/Guardian Angels to the mentors etc. at ANAOA.

They aren't in a combat role; but certainly able to switch to a small scale one if necessary. There's few people daft enough to upset a couple of companies of Yorkies píssed off at having their lounge lizard ;) lifestyle interfered with....
They didn't explain any motive but I've not heard about any casualties and so I assume that they're not seeking out combat as such as they're simply patrolling around the area, however, I don't think that they'd pose a patrol for the camera, just small scale patrols.

They didn't explain any motive but I've not heard about any casualties and so I assume that they're not seeking out combat as such as they're simply patrolling around the area, however, I don't think that they'd pose a patrol for the camera, just small scale patrols.
I don't think that the KSF have had any casualties for a long time (if memory serves the last was 2008-ish when a lad from 16 Sigs was killed). There were some non-combat injuries last year when a couple of lads from 2 SCOTS tent-pegged their Foxhound into a T-Wall in HKIA at speed, and a brown trouser moment for a couple of Rangers when an SVIED struck their Foxhound earlier in the year.

Last edited:
Update on Afghan:
2 YORKs have been there for a few months now- as we all know- and will be coming home in December.
Initially, it was just training other troops and defending bases, however, recently the British Army has been uploading photos of Soldiers patrolling Kabul on their official Instagram page '@britisharmy'.
I just thought that it was worth mentioning being that it seems impossible to find news about combat.
If you want to see some reports on some of the roles of the Kabul Protection Unit, UTV & Forces TV did reports on the R IRISH who were the unit 2 YORKS took over from.

Link to the UTV reports;
http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-07-27/on-tour-with-the-royal-irish-in-afghanistan/

Link to Forces TV story;
Forces Stories Launches Tonight: An In-Depth Look Inside Kabul
For the film you might get it on catch up tv or internet

If you want to see some reports on some of the roles of the Kabul Protection Unit, UTV & Forces TV did reports on the R IRISH who were the unit 2 YORKS took over from.

Link to the UTV reports;
http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-07-27/on-tour-with-the-royal-irish-in-afghanistan/

Link to Forces TV story;
Forces Stories Launches Tonight: An In-Depth Look Inside Kabul
For the film you might get it on catch up tv or internet
The Royal Irish were a great bunch of lads, an absolute laugh a minute. Their MTO who spent eight months masquerading as "the Mayor" in Qargha was some character, an absolute headcase - but what a guy!

I'll second that. My lot twice shared barracks with (the old) 2R Irish, in W Germany and W Berlin, back in the Cold War.

Absolutely superb neighbours, and almost entirely barking mad :)
Totally agree, I remembered on our take over they pulled the roof down of the NAAFI on 'Barrosa Night' (They nicked one of Napoleons Eagles and celebrate the date) while swinging on the supporting struts of the roof.
A great bunch to be in a tight corner with!

Last edited:
unsuprising though with the amount of surplus stuff that is available do the discerning buyer.Did the US ever trace the stingers they gifted to the bearded followers of cammels?

unsuprising though with the amount of surplus stuff that is available do the discerning buyer.Did the US ever trace the stingers they gifted to the bearded followers of cammels?
Most of the NVGs have been sourced by the TB by overrunning ANSF checkpoints and pillaging the equipment. Large quantities of ammo, weapons and vehicles too.

Most of the NVGs have been sourced by the TB by overrunning ANSF checkpoints and pillaging the equipment. Large quantities of ammo, weapons and vehicles too.
Or bought online and smuggled in from bordering countries. There was obviously IR sets kicking about 9 years ago and I believe they used NVG’s when they attacked bastion.

Latest Threads