• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

afghan doss bag

is the issue 2 piece doss bag adequate enough for a winter tour of afghan? also is the issue blow up mat as good as a therma-rest?

1) If you mean the issue bouncing bomb, then yes - you'll be toasty. I used a Softee 9, which is less warm, but was in Garmsir on H9 where it didn't get too cold.

2) I had no dramas with the issue inflatable roll-mat, but i'm a short arse & again, it didn't get too cold where I was.

Regards,

T

If you are talking about the lightweight issued bag, that comes with a liner, then the answer is no. The roll mat is fine, but like Timbe I'm a short arse to.

i believe its a warm weather bag that zips into another for cold weather use, unless someone has been giving me duff info?

If it is the Zip in type, it should be pretty good - i think it's part of the new PECOC (Don't know the spelling, sorry) system, and the issue kit is pretty good now, if sometimes a bit bulky.

T

Them issue inflatable mats sometimes go weird. The glue inside seems to come apart over time and you can end up with massive bubbles. I ended up starting a retro trend by reverting back to the issued roll mat which is quicker to set out and put away and to be honest not much difference in comfort in my humble opinion.

GUNNER.et.al said:
Mr_C_Hinecap said:
Try this lot if you want to buy a mat - the Fat Airic is a bit bulky but V thick. Their other kit, like the dry bags and ally spoons etc, is really top notch:

ALPKIT
good bit of kit, have used one myself. good post.
Yes, good post Hinecap, take yesterday off.

Latest Threads