Afghan death senence for blasphemy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Full story here from the BBC.

Someone please tell me this is not the system we have troops fighting and dieing for?!!! If it is then we need to up sticks today and get the hell out of there.

2. youd have thought that hed have known better in the first place.
    We arent there to change their laws and customs (the septics may be) we are there to:

Deny terrorists an ungoverned space in which they can ferment and export terror
    Help the people of Afghanistan build a democratic state with strong security forces and an economy that will support a civil society
    To support international efforts to counter the narcotics trade
    Specifically, its mission will be to help train the Afghan security forces, to facilitate reconstruction, and to provide security, thereby supporting the extension of the Afghan Government’s authority across the province

So in answer to your question, technically we are there to support the Afghan govts authority across the country, so we are in fact helping them use their laws in this traditional manner.

edited because I didnt read the question

3. That's the one. NATO fighting for a free and fair world - unless you are a christian, woman, jew, moderate, jornalist, adulterer, fornicator, academic etc etc (feel free to add anyone else to the list - the mullahs will)

Maybe we should just concede defeat and ask Putin if Russia would like their country back

4. It looks like a case of a povincial judge trying to maintain support among the less savoury elements of the local populace. Cases like this are normally quietly dropped when they get a little higher up the food-chain. Especially with Reporters without Borders etc. kicking up a fuss.

5. Wow, tough crowd. I'd hate to think what sentence he would have got if he didn't confess. 8O

With all the international pressure that is building up already i wonder if the current sentence will stand. Wasn't there a case like this not so long ago where the president intervened and overturned a death sentence due to international influence.

6. Phew that's OK then - a few more court appearances and then off down the pub with his mates and a good laugh over a few beers.

For a moment I thought we were talking about some despotic, middle-ages world where there is no freedom of expression. I'll add it to my list of must-visit holiday destinations.

7. Are you referring to Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah pardoning a woman who'd been raped, then found guilty of "being alone with a man who was not related to her" and sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in prison? http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1297276,00.html

Edited to say that actually you may have been thinking about Amina Lawal, the woman sentenced to death by stoning for having a child outside of wedlock... http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/africa/09/25/nigeria.stoning/

... or someone else completely! :D

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think the Monty Python Life of Brian scene at the stoning should be made compulsory viewing in large parts of the world, mullahs need to get a sense of humour.....
    ...even if they do say.....and I want to make this absolutely clear....even if they do say Jevhovahhhhhhhhh.