Afghan Culture

...If you accept that it's a generic Arabic greeting in a form of Arabic that's not used anywhere except in the Koran or formal situations, why are you bringing it up in a thread about Afghan culture?
This started as a petty jibe from @Mr_Pink because I wrote "al-Salaam alaykum", in the middle of a lengthy piece about the difference between homosexuality and MSM and differences between Western and Eastern/Muslim toilet habits.

It was primarily to show why you would never use a Muslim greeting in a toilet -because 'al-Salaam' / 'the Peace' is one of Allah's names.

The 'l' is assimilated, but without it there is no definite article so technically the greeting becomes "may peace be upon you" instead of "may the Peace be upon you". There's a massive difference between the two - at least to a Muslim, if not to you or @Mr_Pink. Understanding the difference doesn't depend on understanding the language, it depends on understanding the culture at its most basic.

@Mr_Pink felt he had to make a point to show off his 'expertise' - even though there was no point to be made as there is no "correct" way of writing 'al-Salaam' or 'a-Salaam' or 'as-Salamu', or 'al-Salamu' etc, unless you are writing strictly phonetically. Nobody was. Nobody has.

Since then its taken on a life of its own with others jumping on the bandwagon to show their similar 'expertise'. Only you, though, have displayed total ignorance.

This started as a petty jibe from @Mr_Pink because I wrote "al-Salaam alaykum", in the middle of a lengthy piece about the difference between homosexuality and MSM and differences between Western and Eastern/Muslim toilet habits.

It was primarily to show why you would never use a Muslim greeting in a toilet -because 'al-Salaam' / 'the Peace' is one of Allah's names.

The 'l' is assimilated, but without it there is no definite article so technically the greeting becomes "may peace be upon you" instead of "may the Peace be upon you". There's a massive difference between the two - at least to a Muslim, if not to you or @Mr_Pink. Understanding the difference doesn't depend on understanding the language, it depends on understanding the culture at its most basic.

@Mr_Pink felt he had to make a point to show off his 'expertise' - even though there was no point to be made as there is no "correct" way of writing 'al-Salaam' or 'a-Salaam' or 'as-Salamu', or 'al-Salamu' etc, unless you are writing strictly phonetically. Nobody was. Nobody has.

Since then its taken on a life of its own with others jumping on the bandwagon to show their similar 'expertise'. Only you, though, have displayed total ignorance.
I bet your partner is paying the doctors to keep it at death's door.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Understanding the difference doesn't depend on understanding the language, it depends on understanding the culture at its most basic.
I love it when you say things like this. How is it about understanding 'the culture' rather than just a linguistic dispute, which is all this is?

يقطع عمرك

The length and breadth of your breathtaking dickwaddedness knows simply no bounds does it?

You are going to make me mad with power though; if I can trigger hours of frantic research of Arabic spelling conventions (and after all that you're still wrong, by the way), just by picking you up on a minor grammar point, imagine what I could do if I touched a real nerve? I bloody love the internetz; just by moving random electrons around on a laptop, I can make an old man thousands of miles away screech with rage and start melting down the Google servers.

(Please, please don't counter with a fulsome claim of how productively you actually spent your day though; another poster sent me a link where you told someone else who thought you had a bit too much time on your hands all about how you'd spent the morning having 'great sex' with your Thai partner of a decade (relationship duration, rather than age I assumed), and it's taken me this long to stop crying and shaking).

Toodle pip - see you Monday!

Initially it was posted as a slightly tongue in cheek response to those who have made similar extensive posts about my own postings; now, sadly, it appears to have considerable truth.
So, no time on HERRICK then. No big deal, I just like to check the validity of posters first. So I can sort the wheat from the unfounded, unmitigated bullshit.

Simply taking umbrage and condemning it as 'disgraceful' perpetuates the myth that we got it right and helps ensure that we'll learn nothing and get it equally wrong next time.
I doubt anyone on this site who has served during TELIC or HERRICK thinks we 'got it right' Not in the ******* slightess. But neither do we need dullards like you telling us where we supposedly went wrong. The vast majority of us just went with the plan. It was shit but, hey ho.

I love it when you say things like this. How is it about understanding 'the culture' rather than just a linguistic dispute, which is all this is?
If you don't even know that the Koran is in Arabic, and that the Koran is rather more significant than "formal documents and some news sources", that indicates a rather limited understanding of 'the culture'.

So why are you posting the generic Arabic (the standard form being spoken by nobody in the wider Middle East, except for formal documents and some news sources) on a thread about Afghan culture??
You don't know the Koran is in Arabic - but you've supposedly spent a lot of time in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

You think there are only three lt cav regts, not six - but you're supposedly in the RAC. etc, etc, etc

You're either a BS merchant par excellence or incredibly dumb. Or both.

I doubt anyone on this site who has served during TELIC or HERRICK thinks we 'got it right' Not in the ******* slightess.
Evidently we read different threads.

In the threads I've read here most of those who have served on Herrick and Telic think that we 'got it right' in every respect and that in those few cases where we made any mistakes early on we learnt from them and corrected our 'plan'.

That we were never defeated in any engagement in Iraq or Afghanistan, large or small, that Basra was a resounding success, that we did everything right in Iraq and trained the Iraqis to the best possible standard they were capable of reaching, that we were doing all the right training, mentoring and operational work on the ground in Afghanistan to ensure that the ANA had absolute success, and that our only mistake was that we left a little early.

... But neither do we need dullards like you telling us where we supposedly went wrong. The vast majority of us just went with the plan. It was shit but, hey ho.
Maybe if someone had listened to the dullards 15 years ago the plans wouldn't have been "shit" and we wouldn't have flushed 50bn down the pan, have over 600 dead, 300 amputees, 5,000 casualties, and several thousand Afghans and Iraqis killed.

With little to show for it, if anything, in one case, and a situation infinitely worse than before we started in the other.

And a military that, despite being better paid, is more badly recruited with worse retention and lower morale than at any time in living memory, and which appears to be the only one of all those that took part in Iraq and Afghanistan that left with a worse reputation than when we started.

But hey ho, you just went with the plan, so as long as no-one says where we went wrong then its all fine .....

Last edited:

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you don't even know that the Koran is in Arabic, and that the Koran is rather more significant than "formal documents and some news sources", that indicates a rather limited understanding of 'the culture'.

You don't know the Koran is in Arabic - but you've supposedly spent a lot of time in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

You think there are only three lt cav regts, not six - but you're supposedly in the RAC. etc, etc, etc

You're either a BS merchant par excellence or incredibly dumb. Or both.
How is the spelling of a colloquial greeting, in a language that a lot of people don't speak, part of the culture? It may be in the Qu'ran but that doesn't mean that large sections of the Muslim world speak it or that how they say hello is a 'cultural basic' a lack of understanding of which explains what happened in Afghanistan. This is just another of your strange sweeping statements about how nobody else gets it except you, who's spent five minutes on Google.

In fairness, if you really think that Islam is delivered to the majority of the Afghan population in Arabic then you really don't understand Afghan culture.

Last edited:

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Evidently we read different threads.

In the threads I've read here most of those who have served on Herrick and Telic think that we 'got it right' in every respect and that in those few cases where we made any mistakes early on we learnt from them and corrected our 'plan'.

That we were never defeated in any engagement in Iraq or Afghanistan, large or small, that Basra was a resounding success, that we did everything right in Iraq and trained the Iraqis to the best possible standard they were capable of reaching, that we were doing all the right training, mentoring and operational work on the ground in Afghanistan to ensure that the ANA had absolute success, and that our only mistake was that we left a little early.
Find me a single thread that says that. Bet you can't.

I wondered why there were so many new posts on this thread.

I think we've caught it too late. The thread cancer is just too advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the spelling of a colloquial greeting, in a language that a lot of people don't speak, part of the culture?
It wasn't.

It was the unconnected garbage you came out with later.

I've realised I was wrong. You're not full of BS and spin, after all. You're just incredibly dim ... and 'dull'.

Ex Punk,

I think recent news reports from all over Europe following the mass Muslim invitation from Merkel (Cologne, Stockholm, Viennaa, Hamburg and many other places prove my comment to be correct.

An interesting diversion ref an Arabic greeting, transliterated into Roman script, as used in a Pashtun speaking location, specifically a region with a particular dialect of Pashto. It's like arguing whether or not a Geordie's English pronunciation of the word bistro or spaghetti is correct in relation to the original French or Italian - completely irrelevant. You're average Helmandi will most likely greet you with an automatic "Tsanga ye, jor ye, rogh ye?" anyway.

I have no idea why, but when I was last in Afghastlystan we were taken into the middle of nowhere to talk to an elderly goatherd, whose herd of goats were all sheltering from the sun under a single tree.

the goatherd was brewing up. The tea tasted of goat shit and smoke from his tiny fire which I suspect was fuelled by dried goat shit.

The elderly goatherd gave me a boiled sweet.