Afgan.. Why am I not surprised.

oldbaldy

LE
So Broon withdraws troops from Iraq so that they can be sent to the 'Stan.

Britain may increase its military commitment in Afghanistan to help fill gaps in Nato's deployment there, a spokesman said.

James Appathurai, speaking for Nato's secretary general Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, said the UK was considering "potentially increasing" its force.

The Ministry of Defence has not confirmed any plan to reinforce the 7,700 UK troops already in Afghanistan.

These are mostly in Helmand province, in the south of the country.

Mr de Hoop Scheffer will call on member states to increase their military presence in Afghanistan at a Nato summit in the Netherlands on 24 and 25 October.

He played down the prospect that Canada or the Netherlands might downscale their presence in the south of Afghanistan.

Mr Appathurai told BBC Radio 4's The World This Weekend: "In the south, we don't think the Dutch are going to leave. The Canadians are looking at exactly what they can do.

"The British are talking in the south not only about keeping what they have but potentially increasing it.

"We are not pessimistic at all. We hope the Dutch will stay, we hope the Canadians will stay and we are working to convince them to do that in one form or another."

Politicians of all parties have previously said the UK is bearing too much of the burden in Afghanistan.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7055377.stm

I'm stunned at this if it is true. I shouldn't be as most things this govt do don't surprise me anymore but still, they are taking the p!ss.

So Broon withdraws troops from Iraq so that they can be sent to the 'Stan.
I had presumed that this was the plan all along. One of the criticism of Iraq was that it took the attention of the armed forces away from Afghanistan and placed too few men on the ground to do the job. This seems like the logical move that most have been waiting for.

The issue is whether or not it should be us shouldering the burden and the role of our other NATO partners that are, arguably, not putting in the same kind of commitment that us and other members are.

Saying that though, I have seen it reported that having so many different nations involved was confusing the overall strategy and int sharing, maybe having a bulk under one command might ease that. I am sure thats another debate though.

Giancarlo_Badass said:
And from where would you hope to find these Soldiers Mr Brown, without reducing Recruiting and Retention?
Maybe he will up the recruiting age again to 40 and let mongs join

Mazur_UK said:
Giancarlo_Badass said:
And from where would you hope to find these Soldiers Mr Brown, without reducing Recruiting and Retention?
Do you mean politicians?

stacker1 said:
Mazur_UK said:
Giancarlo_Badass said:
Do you mean politicians?
Ha ha ha, i'd love to see them do a tour out there. I think funding for armoured vehicles and suchlike might get a slight boost if that were to happen! :lol:

Bisley_Bob said:
stacker1 said:
Mazur_UK said:
Giancarlo_Badass said:
Do you mean politicians?
Ha ha ha, i'd love to see them do a tour out there. I think funding for armoured vehicles and suchlike might get a slight boost if that were to happen! :lol:
Some of the tw@ts came out to Kaf a few months back swanning around in shorts before minceing back to the VIP accomodation. they probably claimed traveling expensives.

stacker1 said:
Bisley_Bob said:
stacker1 said:
Mazur_UK said:
Giancarlo_Badass said:
Do you mean politicians?
Some of the tw@ts came out to Kaf a few months back swanning around in shorts before minceing back to the VIP accomodation. they probably claimed traveling expensives.
How do you refund "had to make small-talk with tristar crew"?!
As if they don't already get paid enough as it is. The ridiculous thing is that they set their own salaries, so they can basically have however much they want.

If the Canadians pull out of Afghan then things will get worse in helmand, panjwai and sha-wal-i-kot in Kandahar are still toppers with Talibs and it's the canucks scrapping with them up there and tying a few talibs down. To be fair to them, during my time the dutch were making quite a good contribution, we had dutch apaches come up in support of us a few times and dutch f-16s for CAS.

oldbaldy

LE
They backtrack!

THE Ministry of Defence yesterday said there were no plans to send more British troops to Afghanistan, after James Appathurai, a spokesman for the NATO secretary-general, said he understood the UK was considering increasing its 7,700-strong force.

NATO sources later backtracked, stressing that Mr Appathurai was not expecting any offer of additional UK troops and was simply seeking to reflect the solid nature of Britain's commitment to the International Security Assistance Force.

Mr Appathurai was speaking ahead of a NATO summit on next week at which NATO secretary-general Jaap de Hoop Scheffer will call on member states for additional contributions to its mission in Afghanistan.

Mr Appathurai said the mission was currently only at 90 per cent to 95 per cent of its intended strength and needed more helicopters, transport aircraft and training units.

He said: "In the south, we don't think the Dutch are going to leave. The Canadians are looking at exactly what they can do. The British are talking in the south not only about keeping what they have, but potentially increasing it."

An MoD spokesman said: "We are keeping our force levels under review but we are not about to make any announcement on troop levels."

Piece is at the bottom of the Prince Charles article.
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1682032007

And there was me thinking that the troops that came out of Iraq would be getting an all expenses paid beer girls and footy fest in the Carribean for 8 months.... :roll:

The deplyment to Afghanistan in late 2001 was in response to the invoking of the NATO treaty, calling on all member states to support one another if attacked. (correct me if I'm wrong).

How can these crappy countries pull out? If it had been an attack on them and the US didn't fulfill it's NATO obligation, we'd see all hell breaking loose and Teddies all over the place.

NATO "partners"? I thought partners stuck by you.