Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affordable, yet presentable, watches

DAS

War Hero
No, less crap than Hythe. Walked past again the other day - the idea of a "solar powered dive watch" made me laugh. Couldn't tell you the price, the label was tucked away.
I've had a couple of citizen solar dive watches, when I was diving. They didn't spend all their time underwater

I like the improved specs of the new commercial G10. Screw back, screw-in crown, 200m water resistance and sapphire crystal, but the Ronda 715 movement is not of similar quality to the old ETA 955.102 you find in issued G10s. The accuracy of the ETA is excellent and my 2006 G10 model stays second for second with my G-Shock multi-band tough solar. However, the battery life of the Ronda is much longer so there's pros and cons. The only thing that matters is that you're pleased with it. You should do a review with a few pictures, it might encourage a few of us to upgrade.
I've put pics of my full collection up before, when I have chance next week I can take a few pics of the G10 and post them.

2008?!...your watch is a sprog! Only time Ive ever had to correct the time on mine is on the change from GMT-Z - worn all the time.
View attachment 528238

View attachment 528240

Not doing bad for its age

Show yours.
20201212_144224.jpg

20201212_144244.jpg

That's an army issue one!!!! - W10 denotes army

HEATHEN!!!
I was at the DHU at the time I was issued it, which is tri-service. Anyway, it was buckshee and buckshee is always good.

This may be of interest:

FHA

LE
I missed getting one of those Lorus "Lumibrite" field watches* shown earlier in the forum, so I've ordered the titanium one.
20% off at H Samuel for a short while, so it's £39.99 click and collect. (I was a tit for missing the other one.)
1607905392865.png

It's the one @Dashing_Chap was referring to I think, so I'll report on it when it arrives. (There's a review of it on YT and the tester says it's amazing at that price.)

*At £15 that has to be the all-time bargain. Also found out the arrse-issue Casio black analogue (with the white numbers) was also £15 at the same time. Double bollocks for missing that too.

I missed getting one of those Lorus "Lumibrite" field watches* shown earlier in the forum, so I've ordered the titanium one.
20% off at H Samuel for a short while, so it's £39.99 click and collect. (I was a tit for missing the other one.)
View attachment 528846

It's the one @Dashing_Chap was referring to I think, so I'll report on it when it arrives. (There's a review of it on YT and the tester says it's amazing at that price.)

*At £15 that has to be the all-time bargain. Also found out the arrse-issue Casio black analogue (with the white numbers) was also £15 at the same time. Double bollocks for missing that too.

The Casio is £20 now. Outrageous.

View attachment 528846

1607946606646.png

I acknowledge NOT exactly the same, but similar . . . .

1607946442452.png

Buy Lorus Men's Lumibrite Grey Fabric Web Strap Watch | Men's watches | Argos . . . at £30-00

1607946542533.png

Buy Lorus Men's Illuminating Green Nylon Strap Watch | Men's watches | Argos . . . at £25-00

DAS

War Hero
View attachment 528846

Nice tool watch. When fully charged you can use the dial as a search light. Found the strap scratchy, but easily sorterd with a seat belt weaved Nato strap

walrusboy

War Hero
Looks the business. The screw back is a real upgrade and the screw-down crown looks quite 'meaty,' much better than the push / pull crown. Hopefully it's not so big that it digs in the back of the hand. It looks similar in quality to the CWC issue black diver. Excellent choice of strap!
I never have a problem with the crown digging in as I wear my watch on my right wrist

This may be of interest:

Fascinating. I have a Pulsar chronograph which is the civilian version of the Gen 1. I didn't realise that when I bought it as a cheap back up watch when Argos had a sale of end of line stuff about ten years ago. Reading the article it mentioned the crown popping off. It does! I went to change the date the other day and the crown and spindle came right out. OK it popped back in but not what I expected. I do like it. (picture taken a while ago, on the 15th of some month)

Pulsar.jpg

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Ms W21A asked me for hints for Christmas so I sent her a link for a £1450 vintage watch I fell in love with via Presentable Watches thread. I never expected it and she didn't buy it. However, she did get me this which has much the same look...
IMG_20201227_212859.jpg

I like it a lot, and this is probably going to become my office watch. Anything requiring 'real' work and it will be the workaday Siekos, or Mirvane.

FHA

LE
As promised, my new Lorus field with the titanium case.

e3bb8ac5c5d9b9b3a752ba2778f6bff3.jpg

The strap is surprisingly good for the money (same as the watch itself): double layer nylon. Unfortunately it’s right at the last hole on my wrist, so it’s now on this...

c7274a2107178d199e5f6fb3c02667f1.jpg

It bigger than I expected. The forums all bang on about how these little field watches look lost unless you’re anorexic etc. Load of shiite, I’ve got 7.5” tradesman’s wrists and it’s fine.

Bloody hell, it’s really light.

(First NATO strap I’ve had: need to see how I get on with it.)

Sent from my iPhone

Latest Threads