Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affordable, yet presentable, watches

I was looking at some watches today in a jewellers window. Noticed all the price tickets were carefully tucked away out of sight - so I guessed these weren't "affordable".

DAS

War Hero
I was looking at some watches today in a jewellers window. Noticed all the price tickets were carefully tucked away out of sight - so I guessed these weren't "affordable".
If you have to ask etc. Pathetic really.

DAS

War Hero
Yes, but ISTR all the big jewellers I've seen in the precincts/malls do have the prices displayed.
Yup. I see it as a kind of snobbery. The smaller jewellers hiding the prices trying to create air of exclusivity while the bigger/upmarket no problem with showing the price

Yup. I see it as a kind of snobbery. The smaller jewellers hiding the prices trying to create air of exclusivity while the bigger/upmarket no problem with showing the price

Good point, you also had to ring a bell to be let in! And this is a place featured in the Arrse Crap Towns thread a couple of years ago.

Anyone here got a G10? Mines a 1990 issue. The ilume on the hands is virtually ineffective now and only works briefly if a torch is shone onto it.
Is it possible to get them re-done, and what sort of cost?
Would anyone recommend Timpsons for watch servicing or would I be better advised to send off to CWC etc?

Cheers

Mine was issued to me in 2008 and I have the same problem and would like to get the lume renewed. I would probably opt for sending it to CWC and get it serviced. It's still a bloody good time keeper. I started wearing mine again after pulling the knob off (fnar) my Tissot Visodate.

Mine was issued to me in 2008 and I have the same problem and would like to get the lume renewed. I would probably opt for sending it to CWC and get it serviced. It's still a bloody good time keeper. I started wearing mine again after pulling the knob off (fnar) my Tissot Visodate.

2008?!...your watch is a sprog! Only time Ive ever had to correct the time on mine is on the change from GMT-Z - worn all the time.
2020-12-11 23.23.40.jpg

2020-12-11 23.23.48.jpg

Not doing bad for its age

Show yours.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Good point, you also had to ring a bell to be let in! And this is a place featured in the Arrse Crap Towns thread a couple of years ago.
Hythe by any chance?

There's a jeweller in the high street there who does all of that. A couple of years ago I needed my Longines automatic watch sorted out , and following the snooty cnut behind the counter treating me as if I were something to be scraped from his Clarks slip on shoe, I elected to take my £400 worth of business elsewhere.

Hythe by any chance?

There's a jeweller in the high street there who does all of that. A couple of years ago I needed my Longines automatic watch sorted out , and following the snooty cnut behind the counter treating me as if I were something to be scraped from his Clarks slip on shoe, I elected to take my £400 worth of business elsewhere.
Thats quite a pertinent point actually. My watch is my only watch. On looking online now a G10 is 2-300 quid depending on age / condition. I honestly dont know where I would draw the line between (if needed) getting it repaired or...put asides as not economically viable.

You all probably know this anyway but- during my 'research' into the markings on the back of G10s- 0552 denotes Royal Navy. W10 - army and i cant remember what Royal Marines (yes they have a separate one) or RAF have. All services have a separate first few digits though.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Thats quite a pertinent point actually. My watch is my only watch. On looking online now a G10 is 2-300 quid depending on age / condition. I honestly dont know where I would draw the line between (if needed) getting it repaired or...put asides as not economically viable.
Not sure quite how much SWMBO paid for my watch nearly 20 years ago, but it doesn't matter, that's the watch I want to be able to wear for best so I pay what I have to. For all other occasions, G10 for men is the way forward.

My G10 is a brand new (or at least was a few years ago) CWC with sapphire crystal. New commercial standard movement and no more than mugs are prepared to pay for old ones that were banged about and ‘produced by the lowest bidder’

My G10 is a brand new (or at least was a few years ago) CWC with sapphire crystal. New commercial standard movement and no more than mugs are prepared to pay for old ones that were banged about and ‘produced by the lowest bidder’
I never paid for mine :)

walrusboy

War Hero
I like the improved specs of the new commercial G10. Screw back, screw-in crown, 200m water resistance and sapphire crystal, but the Ronda 715 movement is not of similar quality to the old ETA 955.102 you find in issued G10s. The accuracy of the ETA is excellent and my 2006 G10 model stays second for second with my G-Shock multi-band tough solar. However, the battery life of the Ronda is much longer so there's pros and cons. The only thing that matters is that you're pleased with it. You should do a review with a few pictures, it might encourage a few of us to upgrade.

Hythe by any chance?

No, less crap than Hythe. Walked past again the other day - the idea of a "solar powered dive watch" made me laugh. Couldn't tell you the price, the label was tucked away.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
No, less crap than Hythe. Walked past again the other day - the idea of a "solar powered dive watch" made me laugh. Couldn't tell you the price, the label was tucked away.
I quite like Hythe. Some nice pubs, a couple of decent restaurants, by the seaside, ten minutes down the road...

Latest Threads