Affordable, yet presentable, watches

Morning All,
Not related to this thread but thought watch buffs would appreciate it.
From today's local 'comic'.
20220419_140258~2.jpg

FFS. Why are you on a watch forum then?!!

I can read any forum I like and not every watch made is a divers watch.

This cropped up on one of my FB sites:

Selling my two Bremont watches. All boxed with papers and in excellent condition as I rotate my watches. Great timepieces that are comfortable to wear. Please PM if interested. Better go to a good home than Watchfinder

3 comments

Comment

1651483541241.png

1651483595905.png

Just been watching the latest JOMW Lume Wars and, whilst not a fan of homages, the Steeldive 1970, a homage of the Seiko 6105 'Willard', won. It is also quite a looker. At £74 on Alixpress it is excellent value for money (the Seiko SPB153 Willard re-issue is over 1k) with a Seiko NH35, 200m water resitance and sapphire glass it it very well specced indeed for the price. Certainly better than the original (how well it last's is another matter!) and I may just take a punt.

seiko6105.PNG

The orginal.

ss1970.PNG

The Steeldive1970

seikospb153.PNG

The Seiko re-issue.
And a review:

Oh, and @SONAR-BENDER where were you two months ago when I had some money to spare!!!

There are two types of watch wearer
The functionalist and the Narcissist.

There are two types of watch wearer
The functionalist and the Narcissist.
Couldn't you say the exact same thing about most objects?

Cars
Houses
Clothes
Furniture

With most things that are available to purchase you have the option of cheap, practical or expensive. It even goes as far as pets.

Imagine walking into the local country pub frequented by middle class toffs. Chocolate labs and Barbour as far as the eye can see. Then someone rocks up in grey joggers and a staffie on a chain.

Aren't those items practical for a country walk, or is it more about appearance?

My car works and the insurance is low
My roof does not leak and the insurance is low
I have a waxed jacket because it pisses down with rain, being the tropics.
IKEA is the McDonald's of the insect world. My furniture is bespoke and made of mahogany and durian wood. They require occasional re-covering, but my great grandchildren will be sitting on them and sleeping on them decades after most peoples, acquired in 2010-2015, are consigned to a skip.

@dogmeat is Hyacinth Bucket and I claim my five quid.

My car works and the insurance is low
My roof does not leak and the insurance is low
I have a waxed jacket because it pisses down with rain, being the tropics.
IKEA is the McDonald's of the insect world. My furniture is bespoke and made of mahogany and durian wood. They require occasional re-covering, but my great grandchildren will be sitting on them and sleeping on them decades after most peoples, acquired in 2010-2015, are consigned to a skip.

@dogmeat is Hyacinth Bucket and I claim my five quid.

My, but that's a lot of words to tell us you don't get it.

Never mind, I'm sure you're very keen on the cuisine and scenery.

Randy Felcher

War Hero
This is my latest acquisition, I've just spent a month in Spain and found this lying on the floor one day whilst I was having a quick libation whilst dodging the rain(it rained for 20 days out of the 28 I was there). It had no strap and no pins, I got it back to my apartment gave it a quick clean and a good shake hey presto it works, brought it back to the UK, put a new pins in and slapped on a Spinnaker strap that I had intended to put on a different watch and here you go, I think it looks the part.
Well that was a nice find. People are asking silly money for them now, comparatively speaking.

If you can find one that is. They've just disappeared off the shelves in the past few months.

I got the plain old black and white version a few years ago.

IMG_20220510_053623_209.jpg

FHA

LE
What do you guys think of the turtle?
(Just catching up with the thread….)

I like it. If you’re into your watches (and know their history) the case shape is a bit of a classic. Big unit but lug to lug isn’t humongous, so wearable for more people.
You can hold out for a “King” Turtle in the sales though: that adds a ceramic bezel and sapphire glass (with the same dimensions.)
£310 at time of writing: that’s more like it.

But the usual Seiko alignment caveats apply.

This certainly qualifies as affordable, but fails at presentable:

Amazon product

£25.99 for an automatic watch with hex-headed screws?

Monster.

intro-1623697202.jpg

I know I'm going to buy one.

In other news, the Helm Vanuatu Ti is on its way.

Latest Threads