Affordable, yet presentable, watches

Impulsively bought this on whim. £70
View attachment 629963
To go with…
5C2D295F-B840-4A79-810C-11A42CA40FE1.jpeg

Lightly modded, Komandirski currently on my wrist.

Attachments

• 16421638495593420116613701143087.jpg
    16421638495593420116613701143087.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt
Seiko seem to be moving steadily upmarket and so are their prices.
The Seiko 5 line has been revamped with new styles and a more up to date movement inside.

Personally I preferred the old 7s26 movement despite the fact that it couldn't be wound by hand, nor could the seconds hand be hacked, and the accuracy could be a bit off. It was a bombproof movement that could go decades without a service.

So the old model line up is no more, old stock is drying up, and prices are starting to rise. So snap up one or two while you can.

The case and dials on some of these models have a level of finish that is usually only seen on watches that cost many times more and the lume is excellent.

The bracelets can be a bit crude and rattly, but a nice leather strap will fix that.

I normally swap out for a strap, but the bracelets on these two were good enough to leave in situ.

RDT_20220114_1944466166443750617088640.jpg

RDT_20220114_194502396944607033231077.jpg

Edit: these two were made for the Middle East market so the day can be set to English or Arabic. I use the latter, just to be different.

Last edited:
Seiko seem to be moving steadily upmarket and so are their prices.
The Seiko 5 line has been revamped with new styles and a more up to date movement inside.

Personally I preferred the old 7s26 movement despite the fact that it couldn't be wound by hand, nor could the seconds hand be hacked, and the accuracy could be a bit off. It was a bombproof movement that could go decades without a service.

So the old model line up is no more, old stock is drying up, and prices are starting to rise. So snap up one or two while you can.

The case and dials on some of the models have a level of finish that is usually only seen on watches that cost many times more and the lume is excellent.

The bracelets can be a bit crude and rattly, but a nice leather strap will fix that.

I normally swap out for a strap, but the bracelets on these two were good enough to leave in situ.

View attachment 631395

View attachment 631396
I've always liked seiko.
I bought my first one in Bahrain naafi for 11quid and had it for 30years I still wear a seiko sapphire. I do not like this trend today of wearing garish big bevelled divers watches, the above seiko 5 is all that is required,

Last edited:

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt
I've always liked seiko.
I bought my first one in Bahrain naafi for 11quid and had it for 30years I still wear a seiko sapphire. I do not like this trend today of wearing garish big bevelled divers watches, the above seiko 5 is l that is required,
Yes big watches are for teenagers in my opinion.

My Bahraini friend recently told me that Seiko are the number one watch brand there. He wanted to buy one of mine but I sold him a Citizen instead!

Yes big watches are for teenagers in my opinion.

My Bahraini friend recently told me that Seiko are the number one watch brand there. He wanted to buy one of mine but I sold him a Citizen instead!
Still on the Bahrain theme.
When I was there " longine" was the one to have but as it was 14quid it was out of price range.
How times change.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
Creation Watches have the old Seiko field watches on sale for £69! They are currently around £130 on Amazon.
Whilst not exacty glamerous, they are a solid watch and stocks are getting wound down now (no pun intended), it's an utter steal for that price and I've just been wearing mine for my afternoon walk as I haven't given it a lot of love over the past two years due to not being able to get out to the hills for walks as much as I'd like, for obvious reasons. I'd forgotten how nice it was to wear.

SNK809K2_MED.webp
I've had a final attempt at getting my faithful Pulsar Kinetic repaired (cracked glass) but no success as there are no parts available from the repairers I've asked for a quote and Timpsons are quoting £60. I'm going to keep it as a pocket watch at work as I don't wear one at work having seen the degloving video on my 1st aid course and decided watches, rings and racking are not a good combination.

I've had a good look at the Creation Watches website and really like the look of the Seiko 5 with leather strap but am also tempted by some of the Orient and Zeppelin watches. All of them are about the £105-£115 mark and all are over 50% off. Before I splash the cash I wondered if anybody had an opinion about which is the best in terms of longevity as I want it to last (the Pulsar has lasted about 7 years and the movement is still going strong and has not noticeably lost any time). And, no, I can't afford all three.

Any advice greatly appreciated and many thanks to Speedy for bringing Creation Watches to my attention.

Edited to add: The Field watches at £77 have 21 jewels while the Sports versions have 23. I know absolutely nothing about watches so would appreciate any advice on whether there would be any difference in performance or durability. Much obliged.

Last edited:

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt
I've had a final attempt at getting my faithful Pulsar Kinetic repaired (cracked glass) but no success as there are no parts available from the repairers I've asked for a quote and Timpsons are quoting £60. I'm going to keep it as a pocket watch at work as I don't wear one at work having seen the degloving video on my 1st aid course and decided watches, rings and racking are not a good combination.

I've had a good look at the Creation Watches website and really like the look of the Seiko 5 with leather strap but am also tempted by some of the Orient and Zeppelin watches. All of them are about the £105-£115 mark and all are over 50% off. Before I splash the cash I wondered if anybody had an opinion about which is the best in terms of longevity as I want it to last (the Pulsar has lasted about 7 years and the movement is still going strong and has not noticeably lost any time). And, no, I can't afford all three.

Any advice greatly appreciated and many thanks to Speedy for bringing Creation Watches to my attention.

Edited to add: The Field watches at £77 have 21 jewels while the Sports versions have 23. I know absolutely nothing about watches so would appreciate any advice on whether there would be any difference in performance or durability. Much obliged.
I'd choose Orient. They have a good reputation and they're a sister company of Seiko. The movement will run for years without a service. The accuracy tends to be better than Seiko, but don't expect chronometer standards.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
I'd choose Orient. They have a good reputation and they're a sister company of Seiko. The movement will run for years without a service. The accuracy tends to be better than Seiko, but don't expect chronometer standards.
Many thanks, and for your earlier post ref. Seiko. I was starting to give up on getting a reasonably priced automatic as solar seems to be the in thing now with watch companies and/or extra large faces, diver's style or lots of gadgets I'd never use. Each to his own. I'm undecided between the Seiko Military or Sports and a black faced Orient with Roman numerals (which I prefer to Arabic?) and will mull it over for a few days. Nice problem to have for once.

I know automatics are supposed to lose a bit of time but I don't think the Pulsar did in at least 7 years. Sadly Pulsar seem to be all solar now and mine is "beyond economic repair". A mate got a solar for Xmas and because of his job as a chef was keeping it in his pocket for most of the day. Unsuprisingly it was not charging. He's now solved the problem by putting it under the hot lights when at work and is very happy with it although I did point out that it may not be a good idea long term!

Much obliged to you.

Creation Watches have the old Seiko field watches on sale for £69! They are currently around £130 on Amazon.
Whilst not exacty glamerous, they are a solid watch and stocks are getting wound down now (no pun intended), it's an utter steal for that price and I've just been wearing mine for my afternoon walk as I haven't given it a lot of love over the past two years due to not being able to get out to the hills for walks as much as I'd like, for obvious reasons. I'd forgotten how nice it was to wear.

SNK809K2_MED.webp

Thank you for that. I see they have a general sale on Seiko watches and I'm now the proud owner of a Seiko 5 series as I've just blown the last of my Xmas money.

They're a bit cheeky as they whack £20 taxes on top of the advertised price but it's still cheaper than Amazon. On Amazon it's £118 but I got it for £89 with the small discount added too.

Amazon product
I got the Seiko 5 SNK793 as I need a suitable office/dress watch. It has an interesting midnight blue dial. It hasn't arrived yet so these pics are off the net.

Seiko-5-SNK793-Review-Complete-Guide.jpg

Seiko-SNK793-on-wrist.jpg

My old Casio MRW-200H (unofficial arrse watch) has just lost its strap link as it's my usual beater and I wear it 24/7. I might try it out with a black NATO strap to see how it looks. I'm reluctant to just buy another version even though they're cheap. I guess I've become attached to its hardy ruggedness.

Amazon product
I imagine in a few years (when/if they ever stop making them) they'll be considered a classic. I hear that even NASA has used them.

My old Casio MRW-200H (unofficial arrse watch) has just lost its strap link as it's my usual beater and I wear it 24/7. I might try it out with a black NATO strap to see how it looks. I'm reluctant to just buy another version even though they're cheap. I guess I've become attached to its hardy ruggedness.

Amazon product
I imagine in a few years (when/if they ever stop making them) they'll be considered a classic. I hear that even NASA has used them.

I found the bezel a bit graunchy, the luminescence a bit weak...but FFS, it costs less than a takeaway and has the day on it!
Days are important if you are retired , or work shifts. Or write calenders, whatever.
Edit It's a decent watch.

Last edited:
Thank you for that. I see they have a general sale on Seiko watches and I'm now the proud owner of a Seiko 5 series as I've just blown the last of my Xmas money.

They're a bit cheeky as they whack £20 taxes on top of the advertised price but it's still cheaper than Amazon. On Amazon it's £118 but I got it for £89 with the small discount added too.

Amazon product
I got the Seiko 5 SNK793 as I need a suitable office/dress watch. It has an interesting midnight blue dial. It hasn't arrived yet so these pics are off the net.

Very similar to my 20+ year old work watch. Thanks for the tip about the old Seiko 5's selling out - no harm in having a spare, so I'll start browsing!

Amazon product

A bit too big and chunky for me and I don't like or need a bezel, but I was tempted and they were only £13 at Argos before Christmas. Some variations on numerals and colours are available but a higher price, £30-ish.

Happy enough with this Lorus for any rough work, also Argos, £15 half price about a year ago.

1642291084296.png

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt
Did I mention the lume on the Seikos?

Yes I did. But I'm going to include a gratuitous picture to show it off anyway.

IMG_20220115_195044_672.jpg

The model is SNKE79 and a bit rare.
The bracelet was particularly ugly so I put it on a cheap but better-looking leather strap.

The case finishing is quite nice with a mixture of brushed and polished surfaces.

Who needs a Rolex Datejust?

Well not me anyway, I sold mine.

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt

Amazon product

That's a hell of a good choice. A sunburst blue dial and the bracelet looks half decent.

Randy Felcher

Old-Salt

The Sports models have a higher water resistance, usually 100m. So you can go swimming and snorkeling with them.
No other differences apart from the ones you already mentioned.