Affordable, yet presentable, watches

exbluejob

LE
Book Reviewer
Morning @exbluejob,
Google is certainly not my friend as this technosaur detests using this modern newfangledelastrickerywitchcraftystuff:mad:;) and the guy who buys my stuff will only use certain sites. This is India after all, so I can't really blame him.
He'll probably go for the 'casioindiashop' though.
Cheers again.
Sahib Google is being really easy to be using, isn't it! Just type in what you are looking for and what country it is being needed, before you can make a chotapeg for the memsahib it is being telling you the answers, now now!!

FHA

LE
4D606894-7C79-4E71-93F3-162584D9AC9D.jpeg
My latest. Not sure if it’s “presentable” but I like the retro aesthetic. It’s the 5610 with solar and multiband. Brilliant all-rounder.

(To keep on-topic it’s shown with my more “presentable” G-Shocks, recently bought too.)

After treating myself to a Seiko Prospex King Samurai last Christmas, I fancied getting something else. I quite fancy the Panzera Flieger 46, which has the same movement as the seiko. But, I was browsing a vintage market in Bristol and saw this. I had to have it. 80 years old and in my opinion, beautiful
C5C796CD-6327-4191-9EA1-18FEC5684E9F.jpeg
B2E1CD31-DA3D-4AFE-855F-8A9D942B34FC.jpeg

I was handed some of my grandfathers WWII 'things' last night. One of them is this rather fetching issue pocket watch:

watch2.JPG

watch1.JPG

Supposedly you can open them with your thumb in the provided nich at the 2 o'clock position but the back was sealed tight, and, being the curious sort, wanted to see who made the movement as it's not shown on the dial (many were), so I got out my caseback removal tool and caused some scratching. Steel tool v cheap aluminium case was something I should have considered beforehand.
Not sure if radium was used in these and you can see the yellowing of the powdered lume on the inside of the lens. It still runs but does lose a minute or so since I got it home last night.
I was also given one of these:

compass2.JPG
compass1.JPG

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
after umming and aahing for months, and watching many reviews on Youtube I pulled the trigger for my birthday and treated myself to one of the Steeldive seiko 6105 'Willard' homages.

paid £105 posted for it from the UK distributor - there's only a few quid in it between that and ordering it from Aliexpress now they're charging VAT, and the UK guy gives them a further going over QC wise.

and what did I get? well, a perfectly finished and presented watch in its own hard case, with a spare dive strap and a few extra strap bars and a removal tool, and a link removal tool for resizing (the original strap comes up pretty large even on my pudgy wrist, so it's a nice to have if you don't have any watch tools already. solid links with push pins and a pressed clasp, but as numerous reviewers have said, easy enough to replace with a milled one if you want.

you get a well lumed ceramic bezel insert, sapphire crystal glass with excellent AR coating, and excellent lume on the markers. afaics after a week or so it keeps excellent time (much better than my sea urchin) with its NH35 hacking and hand winding innards.

I've got it on a black nato with black fittings now and it looks even better.

the question it does leave you with though is...how can seiko charge what they do for theirs? especially seeing as some of their thousand dollar willard reissues I've seen reviewed on line are questionable on the QC front to say the least?

the steeldive UK website is here - Steeldive Watch Review | SteelDive UK | United Kingdom - the guys also taken on the San Martin range recently (another name that budget watch followers might be familiar with) - I placed my order thursday afternoon and had it in my hands friday morning. based on the quality and service I've had so far, this won't be the last watch I have off them either.

1638142213306.png

Attachments

• steeldive 2.jpg
    steeldive 2.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 11
after umming and aahing for months, and watching many reviews on Youtube I pulled the trigger for my birthday and treated myself to one of the Steeldive seiko 6105 'Willard' homages.

paid £105 posted for it from the UK distributor - there's only a few quid in it between that and ordering it from Aliexpress now they're charging VAT, and the UK guy gives them a further going over QC wise.

and what did I get? well, a perfectly finished and presented watch in its own hard case, with a spare dive strap and a few extra strap bars and a removal tool, and a link removal tool for resizing (the original strap comes up pretty large even on my pudgy wrist, so it's a nice to have if you don't have any watch tools already. solid links with push pins and a pressed clasp, but as numerous reviewers have said, easy enough to replace with a milled one if you want.

you get a well lumed ceramic bezel insert, sapphire crystal glass with excellent AR coating, and excellent lume on the markers. afaics after a week or so it keeps excellent time (much better than my sea urchin) with its NH35 hacking and hand winding innards.

I've got it on a black nato with black fittings now and it looks even better.

the question it does leave you with though is...how can seiko charge what they do for theirs? especially seeing as some of their thousand dollar willard reissues I've seen reviewed on line are questionable on the QC front to say the least?

the steeldive UK website is here - Steeldive Watch Review | SteelDive UK | United Kingdom - the guys also taken on the San Martin range recently (another name that budget watch followers might be familiar with) - I placed my order thursday afternoon and had it in my hands friday morning. based on the quality and service I've had so far, this won't be the last watch I have off them either.

View attachment 618977

Oh no! Just decided I'd got enough watches and you come up with this! And so close to Christmas.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh no! Just decided I'd got enough watches and you come up with this! And so close to Christmas.

tenner off between now and midnight as well with the black friday code. **nods**

;)

I was handed some of my grandfathers WWII 'things' last night. One of them is this rather fetching issue pocket watch:

View attachment 618004

View attachment 618001

Supposedly you can open them with your thumb in the provided nich at the 2 o'clock position but the back was sealed tight, and, being the curious sort, wanted to see who made the movement as it's not shown on the dial (many were), so I got out my caseback removal tool and caused some scratching. Steel tool v cheap aluminium case was something I should have considered beforehand.
Not sure if radium was used in these and you can see the yellowing of the powdered lume on the inside of the lens. It still runs but does lose a minute or so since I got it home last night.
I was also given one of these:

View attachment 618005View attachment 618006
Both the pocket watch, and the compass contain significant quantities of Radium-226. While it remains under glass and untouched it's not really a problem, but I'd advise you to paint some matt varnish over the line in the compass lid to stop particles coming off as dust.
Both nice pieces :)

Just in case you weren't aware, Casio has a Black Friday event still on with 25% off many watches. You can also get a further 5% with your forces discount card if you have one (via the FD site) - I ordered the Ripley Alien watch for a mere £49! - Black Friday

Just in case you weren't aware, Casio has a Black Friday event still on with 25% off many watches. You can also get a further 5% with your forces discount card if you have one (via the FD site) - I ordered the Ripley Alien watch for a mere £49! - Black Friday

Morning @Speedy,
I looked at the 'Casio' site, 'Black Friday' sale page but couldn't find a 'Ripley Alien' watch. Do you have an item number for it, or could you post a link so I can see what it looks like? Please.
Cheers in advance.

Morning @Speedy,
I looked at the 'Casio' site, 'Black Friday' sale page but couldn't find a 'Ripley Alien' watch. Do you have an item number for it, or could you post a link so I can see what it looks like? Please.
Cheers in advance.
Here y'go - A100WEGG-1AEF

It has arrived! It feels a little cheap and janky (the original probably was too tbh) and the buttons are a PITA to use as they are located in a recess. But still, for such a little known and iconic piece. Originally released in 1977 and the first digital watch with seperate buttons for various features IIRC (damned if I can find the reference for that little snippet though), then worn by Ripley in the orginal Alien (in case you hadn't been following the thread from earlier).

casio.JPG

Latest Threads