Affordable, yet presentable, watches

I haven't bought a watch for a couple of years now. However, I've got a long weekend in Gib coming up, so PLEASE stop tempting me, for I am weak......

I like the look of that Edifice!

Eventually decided on this new blue one, £160 from Ernest Jones (20% military discount) free delivery, refund if I return to any of their shops (2 quite close to me):
Arrived yesterday but face is too dark, hard to make out. Took it to Ernest Jones branch near me, smooth as silk refund. Ordered this Edifice from Casio, 20% military discount took it to £207:

After my recent browsing, a Christmas shopping list. I could get all three online for less than £100, so definitely affordable.

The Casio Edifice is a look-alike for my Seiko. I think the Lorus would be an interesting smart/casual watch. And for rough work/hillwalking etc. a coupe of variations on the "Argos Special" Casio. I prefer these faces with some colour. More subtle than the standard all-white printing.

casio-watch-edifice-efv-100d-1avuef.jpg

rh949lx9.jpg

images
images

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
I bought a Pulsar Kinetic watch about six years ago for about £70 (it was half price in Argos). It's been a great watch for everyday use and has kept time really well but needs replacing as I have broken the glass in two places by accidentally hitting it against the edge of kitchen worktops at work. (It still works.)

Pulsar don't seem to do them anymore having gone over to solar powered so I have been looking for an automatic under £200, traditional looking, simplistic design, leather strap.

After much searching on-line I have just found a watch I like by a Chinese firm called Guanqin.
jqhk4uroraw01.jpg

£85 on Amazon. I'd be willing to spend more but this is the nearest I can find to what I want. Non-fussy face, suitable for everday use.

Has anybody any experience of this brand before I splash the cash?

Thanks.

I bought a Pulsar Kinetic watch about six years ago for about £70 (it was half price in Argos). It's been a great watch for everyday use and has kept time really well but needs replacing as I have broken the glass in two places by accidentally hitting it against the edge of kitchen worktops at work. (It still works.)

Pulsar don't seem to do them anymore having gone over to solar powered so I have been looking for an automatic under £200, traditional looking, simplistic design, leather strap.

After much searching on-line I have just found a watch I like by a Chinese firm called Guanqin.
jqhk4uroraw01.jpg

£85 on Amazon. I'd be willing to spend more but this is the nearest I can find to what I want. Non-fussy face, suitable for everday use.

Thanks.
Similar from Aliexpress £53 91.06C$ 90% OFF|GUANQIN Mens Watches Top Brand Luxury Automatic Date Men Casual Fashion Clock Waterproof Genuine Leather Mechanical Wrist Watch|watch top|watch top brandwatch brand - AliExpress

FHA

LE
After my recent browsing, a Christmas shopping list. I could get all three online for less than £100, so definitely affordable.

The Casio Edifice is a look-alike for my Seiko. I think the Lorus would be an interesting smart/casual watch. And for rough work/hillwalking etc. a coupe of variations on the "Argos Special" Casio. I prefer these faces with some colour. More subtle than the standard all-white printing.

casio-watch-edifice-efv-100d-1avuef.jpg

rh949lx9.jpg

images
images
Some other models of Casio MRW200’s are usually in stock on Creation Watches. I’ve bought a few rare beater Casios from there and haven’t been stung for import duty yet.
(My nephew is off to Catterick soon so I gave him one of the standard field style ones to back up his G-Shock.)

I think I mentioned before the that the aftermarket Casio “twin sensor” straps on AliExpress fit the 18mm lugs on them (and other models) and look good because they “flare” out then go to 20mm (as pictured.)

2C894DC8-4A51-4AD4-AC2B-696D4197786E.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_20211016_170458056~2.jpg

That last one seems to be an unofficial arrse watch. It's s great beater and pretty indestructible. I also get more people noticing it than my other watches and it was only about 20 quid.

I need to set the date properly ...

View attachment 610186

That last one seems to be an unofficial arrse watch. It's s great beater and pretty indestructible. I also get more people noticing it than my other watches and it was only about 20 quid.

I need to set the date properly ...

I went for the other Argos bargain about a year ago. £15 half-price offer, keeping very good time, I've only had to adjust it twice and that was only a minute or two.

I thought the Casio was a bit too chunky for my tastes, but I'm still tempted.

1634404758418.jpeg

Billyz

Swinger

jqhk4uroraw01.jpg

Thanks.
I have had I for over a year now, when I first started to use it. It lost about 5-7 seconds a day. A little adjustment got it down to under 3 second. No problem with it so far.

I found this quite interesting, Seiko watches under the Alba name:

I've had a couple of forays into the smartwatch market in the past, having briefly owned both an Apple Watch and a Samsung Galaxy Watch.

Neither really did it for me; there were (to me) a lot of annoyances with both, not least the battery life (>1 day). I do, however, like to be able to read my messages without having to look at my phone, so I continued to look for something that would work.

I settled on a Huawei Watch Fit. It has all the functions that I want (mainly in-built GPS, ability to read messages/get notifications, vibrating alarm, changeable watch faces, heart rate monitor and a "where the f*ck is my phone in the house" function) and was about £70. Battery life is about 7-10 days, which is fine for me.

QVN9C_SQ3_0000000088_NO_COLOR_SLa.jpeg

Additionally, it means that the nice Chinese people already have most of my fitness data, so hopefully I will be put to work in one of the more prestigious lithium mines, when the revolution starts.

I've had a couple of forays into the smartwatch market in the past, having briefly owned both an Apple Watch and a Samsung Galaxy Watch.

Neither really did it for me; there were (to me) a lot of annoyances with both, not least the battery life (>1 day). I do, however, like to be able to read my messages without having to look at my phone, so I continued to look for something that would work.

I settled on a Huawei Watch Fit. It has all the functions that I want (mainly in-built GPS, ability to read messages/get notifications, vibrating alarm, changeable watch faces, heart rate monitor and a "where the f*ck is my phone in the house" function) and was about £70. Battery life is about 7-10 days, which is fine for me.

View attachment 610726

Additionally, it means that the nice Chinese people already have most of my fitness data, so hopefully I will be put to work in one of the more prestigious lithium mines, when the revolution starts.

If that heart rate is correct, can we assume you had a quick Darren Grimes just before posting?

I bought the Huawei watch 1 when they came out. Loved the ability to change faces etc. but battery life was only around a day so it eventually ended up in a drawer. Got it back out a few weeks ago as I was watch looking. It's had a major software upgrade (all done OTA) and has a lot more functionality. Still only 26 hours or so battery life so it'll go back in the drawer when my Casio arrives today.

View attachment 610726

Concur with everything you say about it. I picked one up a few weeks ago as I too got fed up charging up my Samsung Frontier on a daily basis. My only gripe is it looks a bit girly.............not piece of stuff girly, big fat going to the gym to sit in the cafe stuffing your face girly. I am wearing my samsung again............even if it has run out of juice..................looks much better...................manly, not rugged Hereford manly, but, well, big fat tatted and lumbering manly going to the gym for a nosh before ambling into the pub for................a D and G!

Latest Threads