Affordable, yet presentable, watches

Yup, even spearos are regularly hitting 30-40m for a minute or two on a single breath. Calling a watch Freediver with a 45m rating is a bit speshul.

07:00 Text from DHL asking for customs payment.
09:39 Package from HK delivered.

Me @ work = :(

Me @ home = :)

Not quite what I was expecting, but I'd say that was a decent enough packing effort - a polyprop shock case.

1.png

Sparsely packed with:

2.png

I like it. 12/24 time indices, 3 hands, no day/date, with lumed pips, hands and tip of sweep hand:

3.png

Strapped to sweaty bloke:

5.png

A few moments later on the titanium strap:

6.png

The titanium strap is a bit of a disappointment with a pressed clasp instead of a decent milled one, but it matches the watch and it works.

Even with the metal strap the whole thing is very light - almost un-noticeably light if you're used to wearing that 180g Orient.

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the lume in the wee small hours, but hope springs eternal, as they say.

Enough of the moaning - there is more than enough of this watch to like on many levels - the design, utilitarianism, weight and of course that tiny little grenade of a crown.

This month, I shall mostly be wearing a Boldr.

Last edited:

Not quite what I was expecting, but I'd say that was a decent enough packing effort - a polyprop shock case.

View attachment 604408

Sparsely packed with:

View attachment 604409

I like it. 12/24 time indices, 3 hands, no day/date, with lumed pips, hands and tip of sweep hand:

View attachment 604410

View attachment 604411

View attachment 604412

The titanium strap is a bit of a disappointment with a pressed clasp instead of a decent milled one, but it matches the watch and it works.

Even with the metal strap the whole thing is very light - almost un-noticeably light if you're used to wearing that 180g Orient.

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the lume in the wee small hours, but hope spring eternal, as they say.

Enough of the moaning - there is more than enough of this watch to like on many levels - the design, utilitarianism, weight and of course that tiny little grenade of a crown.

Looks a bit lost on that fat wrist.

It's up to you. If you like it then it's all good. Tonight I am wearing my reconditioned Timex which is the same model I had when I was 11. Dark blue dial. I don't bother setting the day and date as it's a real faff and the crown is tiny. Pub meal tonight and it seems the right one to wear. First time out since I found it on Etsy (reconditioned, serviced and a new strap £125)

View attachment 603477
Very nice .

Looks like a 1970's Casio to me. ETA :cool:
It's a F91W derivative (F91WM or A158W). Was introduce (base model) in the late 80's. The lass has class.

And dubious moral judgement.

Last edited:

View attachment 604408

Sparsely packed with:

View attachment 604409

View attachment 604410

View attachment 604411

View attachment 604412

I think I'm going to be disappointed by the lume in the wee small hours, but hope spring eternal, as they say.

Yes, that meets with my approval! Easy to read with good contrast hands/face, second hand reaches the markers, no gadgets, chrono or bezel. Winder looks a bit odd to me at 4 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock, seems to be another modern trend, but I can think of a couple of advantages. Nice one.

Yes, that meets with my approval! Easy to read with good contrast hands/face, second hand reaches the markers, no gadgets, chrono or bezel. Winder looks a bit odd to me at 4 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock, seems to be another modern trend, but I can think of a couple of advantages. Nice one.

The lume is disappointingly feeble, and the finish on the case & bracelet is going to show signs of usage very quickly. Still, as a field watch, I can't complain too much.

The pictures don't show how light it all is though.

Oh, and

You'd think the Freediver would be rated for more than 45m. Some of those folks are hitting over 100m on dives.

Pedantic git, me...

Off to Specsavers with you, Moleman. The rating is 300m.

The case diameter is 45mm.

So it is...

If you'd just chuck a few of those earthworms down my burrow, that would be grand.