Affordable, yet presentable, watches

Along with the unofficial arrse watch. 300m and 100m WR, they're quartz so nothing fancy, good beaters though. I'd like to get a mechanical diver one day.

You're in luck.

These guys are just about in the affordable range (cheapest at $275 + $35 shipping), not sure about cost of importing

ACtC-3fnxJ2iRYHQxDu3Rnj0lhcZA7GvHREn_8gVI-UIOSqYPSVe15raodODTWbZPihgkWLpw5vhNOOnOZqfxKqVRgTr9biSf3GxyEXqHidLLp8rUdnbCep-2FgGcc_hBxOvYAY9y_p-LZNbESqg7IX_1q0S=w1290-h930-no

Oh, and there is a bit of a waiting list.

Of four years.

And I'm on it in front of you so I don't mind sharing now.

ETA: @Helm watches. I know, right?

Last edited:
Very good videos, the prices seemed a little cheap for the UK even when this was filmed in 2019/20. But I did notice that they didn't include the sales tax. Would you happen to know what the tax would be on that purchase?. Even a rough figure. As it may be worth a trip state side to do a little shopping.

We used to come over on annual holidays to Florida before the Mrs got a posting here. There are plenty of places around the Tourist Bubble of Orlando and Tampa that will do the tax free paperwork for you. The places we used to go they always knocked off the tax when we showed out passports, I've heard of others where you get the paperwork and get a refund from their cuzzers at the airport.

I am pretty sure I have seen similar tax free shopping indicators for tourists to California. Theoretically you could go anywhere and get the stuff tax free. Bear in mind it costs more to fly from the UK to popular tourist destinations which will affect your profit level. Best to fly to a less popular/cheaper airport, then book a separate flight to take you onwards - once I discovered this wheez we used to fly to Boston, or Philadelphia and then on to Tampa, or Orlando saving around a grand between a family of four.

A mate of mine used to fly from UK to NY with his girlfriend to go shopping a couple of times a year. They basically used to fly over with a holdall and a couple of empty suitcases, go to the outlet malls around NY - he reckoned that half a dozen pairs of jeans repaid the cost of the flight.

It is also worthwhile crawling around some of the dealers in out of the way Towns/Cities and timing your visit to coincide with a collectors/dealers fair in NYC.

Worth a visit (Tag & Breitling): ===> Welcome To Woodbury Common Premium Outlets® - A Shopping Center In Central Valley, NY - A Simon Property

I picked up a new Tag Targa Florio for around $1200 when they were going for $2000 full retail outside.

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

Last edited:
Affordable? With a three figure price tag! Still happy with my Argos special, the £14.99 Lorus

Look on the bright side - you've got four years to save up.

At $310 = £220 ÷ 48 months = £4.58 per month, round it up to £5 to get a start on the tax and yes, affordable.

Look on the bright side - you've got four years to save up.

At $310 = £220 ÷ 48 months = £4.58 per month, round it up to £5 to get a start on the tax and yes, affordable.

You've reminded me, it's a few months since I was looking at cheap affordable watches. I don't have a decent WR rated/diver's watch so that might be next on the list. Mind you, I've done a lot of work in wet conditions and never trashed a watch with water. Got the habit of taking a watch off for any heavy hammering, digging etc,

I've been browsing. This came as a shock, new Seiko 5's - add a bit of bling and treble the price! They must be a "bit of a thing" now, or Seiko realised they were a give-away at the £100 mark. Mine was less than £50 from the well-known jeweller some years ago.

jmb3296

War Hero
Thank you @Ecosse

there is my rationale for every watch I currently own and the ones still to come

“I do not need it...just bloody want it right?”

saw and had a bid on a James McCabe automatic watch last night which looked rather nice.
some of them look hideous and blingy but this one was a clean understated dress watch at 39mm.
seem to be a lot cheaper brand new in the USA than the UK ( it is a UK company putting Japanese movements into cases probably from China. but delivery costs from USA stuff you.
I am not familiar with that range before and some of them look like I would get on with them. Didn’t get that particular one but it has interested me in some of the brands range.

The ebay one was preowned, in the UK, still in presentation box and had original plastic in it, ie never worn, less than a third of retail price

Last edited:

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
We used to come over on annual holidays to Florida before the Mrs got a posting here. There are plenty of places around the Tourist Bubble of Orlando and Tampa that will do the tax free paperwork for you. The places we used to go they always knocked off the tax when we showed out passports, I've heard of others where you get the paperwork and get a refund from their cuzzers at the airport.

I am pretty sure I have seen similar tax free shopping indicators for tourists to California. Theoretically you could go anywhere and get the stuff tax free. Bear in mind it costs more to fly from the UK to popular tourist destinations which will affect your profit level. Best to fly to a less popular/cheaper airport, then book a separate flight to take you onwards - once I discovered this wheez we used to fly to Boston, or Philadelphia and then on to Tampa, or Orlando saving around a grand between a family of four.

A mate of mine used to fly from UK to NY with his girlfriend to go shopping a couple of times a year. They basically used to fly over with a holdall and a couple of empty suitcases, go to the outlet malls around NY - he reckoned that half a dozen pairs of jeans repaid the cost of the flight.

It is also worthwhile crawling around some of the dealers in out of the way Towns/Cities and timing your visit to coincide with a collectors/dealers fair in NYC.

Worth a visit (Tag & Breitling): ===> Welcome To Woodbury Common Premium Outlets® - A Shopping Center In Central Valley, NY - A Simon Property

I picked up a new Tag Targa Florio for around $1200 when they were going for $2000 full retail outside.

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California Department of Tax and Fee Administration

Thank you, I shall look onto it. I think the prices of the flights atm and near future would negate any saving. But hopefully things will go back to normal in a few years. Meanwhile I can continue to save for a PP Nautilus.

Mmmm...if it looks to good to be true etc.
Now I fancy this instead:
£295.00 on the J. McCabe website.
£158.00 Amazon.
Somehow...the Casio Oceanic is a nose ahead.
I know nothing of watches...so I'm being 100% subjective.

Last edited:
White or Black Dial? $7g is actually actual cheap!.

The prices have dipped lately but a few months ago the Rolex "Batman" and the "Hulks" were selling for North of £18000!. They are about 13000 atm but can be had from an AD for around 8000 if your lucky enough to get one.

Black dial, the smaller model. Price was on par with other offers. A UK buyer wouldnt take it as “ profit was too low” after shipping etc.

Yup, never buy new. Let some other mug take the hit of depreciation..........just like buying that Turbo, Nutter, B'stard, Blingy car.

My lad watches this bloke. He is a Brit who has made it big in La'La Land, he may have the mega millions bank account, the younger trophy wife, and the private jet, but he still tries to come across as a bit humble* - sadly he has picked up the Hollywood dress sense. The watch shop he is in is located in Beverley Hills and whilst small does a huge amount of online business and business with the glitterati who are switched on enough not to waste their money buying new.

Worth watching for some of the buying tips.

Note: * Like a kiddy in a sweetie shop. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a commie, and I do suppose it depends how much wonga he has in total, but if he does have cash to splash then sometimes that sort of thing can be a bit vulgar. There seems to be no embarrassment about the excess of riches.

It seems he has $60,000,000, not quite as much as Mogg, but more than enough to spend in a lifetime.

It's nice to have things of quality (this is a thread about watches ffs) but I honestly believe our modern mindset has missed a trick when it comes to the worship of materialism, after all, it's just stuff. There are far more important things in life.

If I had £60,000,000 I'd walk into the local hospital and ask them what new equipment they need. I'd see if I could find someone who desperately needs the money, like cancer treatment or something, and then pay for it, not buy a load of watches.

It's like these people have never had an emotional attachment to anything or never had a deep and meaningful friendship. As aforesaid, it's great to have nice stuff, but he could do more noble things with his money than just buy more inanimate objects.

It's the model with the orange quadrant between 1 and 4...... i think they went out of fashion, but green and orange seem to be back in again.

Anyone ever been approached by this bugger...... ?

I've heard of them, but finally met up with one near the motorway slip road near Chester le street...... pretended he was an italian jeweller on his way up to Edinburgh to open a new shop, running short of petrol, but credit card refused, could I lend him £100 for petrol, he'd give me 3 chronometers worth a grand in exchange.

Played him along for a while, said I'd only come out to Aldi with 2 quid for some frozen chips, so he pissed off, but I clocked the name of these "chronometers" and googled them....... 100 for E100 on e- Bay.

If you're ever approached by one of these bastards, take their reg- always a car hire, and ring plod immediately, only realised how evil they were after Googling them...... as ever they try to take advantage of the elderly and gullible.
The other trick, on a massive scale is to take out a full page advert in some unheard of glossy mag of said watch for 100s of squid

I rather fancy adding a high quality leather strap to my new Oceanus. I’d quite like a gloss finished croc grain (or even croc ) strap. Any recommendations for seller?

I’ve just had my Omega Sea-master Planet Ocean serviced, paid extra for a Additional band, pricey, however considering it’s pristine and cost 1600, when I bought it, to replace it now would be 5500.

Latest Threads