Affordable, yet presentable, watches

Citizen (at the moment) make the most accurate autonomous watch in the world - accurate to 1 second a year without radio or GPS correction. It's also an Eco Drive so no battery changing.

Similar Citizen here, first saw one of the blokes in the local watch emporium wearing one and I was breaking my neck trying to ping what model of uber 'spensive watch he was wearing. I gave up and asked.

Citizen Watches Men's CA0648-09L Eco-Drive

Under $200 on @mazon, I was well impressed by the looks and finish. If I needed a reasonable looker to impress I would definitely grab one of these.

iu

Arrived just now. No extra costs.View attachment 572192
I adore this watch. Today, driving back from playing golf (it is so comfortable I was 5 holes in before I realised I'd not taken it off, I wear a rangefinder watch but that goes on my left wrist for reasons that are not totally clear)* the sunlight came up off the dial onto the crystal and gave a beautiful, slightly blue multiple halo effect. I was in from evenings a few nights ago. Got in at 2350 and took off my work G-Shock. I watched as the Casio ticked over midnight and the date glided effortlessly over. I'm probably going to 'lose my muck' at the end of next February!

*I am one of those freaks - Right handed but wear my watch on my right. I switched temporarily when I was 12 due to an injury and it felt so much better.

Last edited:
Similar Citizen here, first saw one of the blokes in the local watch emporium wearing one and I was breaking my neck trying to ping what model of uber 'spensive watch he was wearing. I gave up and asked.

Citizen Watches Men's CA0648-09L Eco-Drive

Under $200 on @mazon, I was well impressed by the looks and finish. If I needed a reasonable looker to impress I would definitely grab one of these.

iu

Got an almost identical model on offer in Argos....... watch usually offered elsewhere for about £250, snagged it for about £90..... nice watch, but at my age a sundial will do.

Got an almost identical model on offer in Argos....... watch usually offered elsewhere for about £250, snagged it for about £90..... nice watch, but at my age a sundial will do.

Nice one, sir. The one with the beige face?

I just had a look and they still range from $250 to $275 here.

It's the model with the orange quadrant between 1 and 4...... i think they went out of fashion, but green and orange seem to be back in again.

Anyone ever been approached by this bugger...... ?

I've heard of them, but finally met up with one near the motorway slip road near Chester le street...... pretended he was an italian jeweller on his way up to Edinburgh to open a new shop, running short of petrol, but credit card refused, could I lend him £100 for petrol, he'd give me 3 chronometers worth a grand in exchange.

Played him along for a while, said I'd only come out to Aldi with 2 quid for some frozen chips, so he pissed off, but I clocked the name of these "chronometers" and googled them....... 100 for E100 on e- Bay.

If you're ever approached by one of these bastards, take their reg- always a car hire, and ring plod immediately, only realised how evil they were after Googling them...... as ever they try to take advantage of the elderly and gullible.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Gentlemen, as a former OR and reached the dizzy heights of feck all rank, I probably shouldn't be posting in this forum. However good quality mid to high end watches can be had for around £500-850 mark. A few tips. Unless purchasing in high horology PP, AP and others NEVER buy new. Tags, Brietling, omega and cartier and a few others can be had at a fraction of the RRP. Rolex are a good investment but good luck getting one from an AD at RRP. Most Rolex almost double on price om the second hand market.

Gentlemen, as a former OR and reached the dizzy heights of feck all rank, I probably shouldn't be posting in this forum. However good quality mid to high end watches can be had for around £500-850 mark. A few tips. Unless purchasing in high horology PP, AP and others NEVER buy new. Tags, Brietling, omega and cartier and a few others can be had at a fraction of the RRP. Rolex are a good investment but good luck getting one from an AD at RRP. Most Rolex almost double on price om the second hand market.

Youre not wrong, just sold an Explorer 1 for $7000.00 - without box or paperwork.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Youre not wrong, just sold an Explorer 1 for $7000.00 - without box or paperwork.

White or Black Dial? $7g is actually actual cheap!.

The prices have dipped lately but a few months ago the Rolex "Batman" and the "Hulks" were selling for North of £18000!. They are about 13000 atm but can be had from an AD for around 8000 if your lucky enough to get one.

Yup, never buy new. Let some other mug take the hit of depreciation..........just like buying that Turbo, Nutter, B'stard, Blingy car.

My lad watches this bloke. He is a Brit who has made it big in La'La Land, he may have the mega millions bank account, the younger trophy wife, and the private jet, but he still tries to come across as a bit humble* - sadly he has picked up the Hollywood dress sense. The watch shop he is in is located in Beverley Hills and whilst small does a huge amount of online business and business with the glitterati who are switched on enough not to waste their money buying new.

Worth watching for some of the buying tips.

Note: * Like a kiddy in a sweetie shop. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Last edited:

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Screenshot_20210611_185054_com.android.chrome.jpg
I think the above watch from Citizen has already been mentioned but it makes a fantastic field or beater watch and keeps to my knowledge accurate time.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
Having never owned a divers watch I thought I would give it a try with a Citizen Pro Master rated to 300 meters. I have not been disappointed, it's heavy, large and feels solid. The lume is superb, lasts at night and is readable at depth. There are of course much better and vastly more expensive diver watches out there but this one certainly scratches an inch and in my opinion looks good too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611_185127_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611_185127_com.android.chrome.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 7

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
I also purchased the below Casio divers watch simply because the Citizen was too big to wear for work and I didn't want to damage it unintentionally. Being on a bracelet and metal was a winner, being an Ebay watch it was an absolute steal and had been the daily go to watch until I purchased my Garmin watches.
Screenshot_20210611_191223_com.android.chrome.jpg

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Yup, never buy new. Let some other mug take the hit of depreciation..........just like buying that Turbo, Nutter, B'stard, Blingy car.

My lad watches this bloke. He is a Brit who has made it big in La'La Land, he may have the mega millions bank account, the younger trophy wife, and the private jet, but he still tries to come across as a bit humble* - sadly he has picked up the Hollywood dress sense. The watch shop he is in is located in Beverley Hills and whilst small does a huge amount of online business and business with the glitterati who are switched on enough not to waste their money buying new.

Worth watching for some of the buying tips.

Note: * Like a kiddy in a sweetie shop. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

Very good videos, the prices seemed a little cheap for the UK even when this was filmed in 2019/20. But I did notice that they didn't include the sales tax. Would you happen to know what the tax would be on that purchase?. Even a rough figure. As it may be worth a trip state side to do a little shopping.

I have something similar.

IMG_20210611_193136922~2.jpg

Along with the unofficial arrse watch. 300m and 100m WR, they're quartz so nothing fancy, good beaters though. I'd like to get a mechanical diver one day.