Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affordable, yet presentable, watches

As there is already the 'Presentable Watches' thread, I thought I would start a splinter group for those who like watches, but don't want / feel the need to spend huge sums of money on the watch. This is (in my mind) different to the beater watches - which are (I believe) the type you don't mind scratching / breaking and may be more bulkjy / utilitarian-looking.

The only real rule that I would like to have is that the watch must cost less than £200 (new, or second-hand).

I would like to start off with a timepiece that some think of as disposable; others ghastly; others a key component of their IED.
1605536881006.png

The F-91W (and variants). It's cheap (<£10), lightweight and can be picked up in any bazaar, market or car boot sale across the world. It is not the most robust of things (as my second one demonstrated when I forgot I was wearing it (a testament to it's comfort) and it gave up at 20meters deep in the ocean around Fiji), not is it particularly pretty, but it does have a retro charm to it.

I would suggest that every serious (affordable) watch owner should have one in their collection.

Next, I like the Timex Weekender. A simple, day-to-day watch that costs circa £50. Alaviable with Chronograph functions and a bewildering array of straps, you' can't go wrong with this one.
1605539009878.png
1605539028069.png

So come on; what are your go-to affordable watches?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
These were pretty good four years ago at a tenner from ebay. The original watch from the 'cheap beater thread. It is the most asked about watch of the small collection I have. Now with a blue leather strap strap as the bracelet went ping.

Mirvaine.jpg

These were pretty good four years ago at a tenner from ebay. The original watch from the 'cheap beater thread. It is the most asked about watch of the small collection I have. Now with a blue leather strap strap as the bracelet went ping.

View attachment 520967
Worryingly, I also bought one of those after seeing it on the beater thread.

And fitted it with a blue strap.

What is this 'sun' of which you speak?

Try using that in the UK and you'll be late for everything, except on one day in late May.
I don't honestly wear a watch anymore. Used to have a Citizen watch back in the day. Ended up breaking the shit out of it, like all the other electronic goodies I used to buy all the time. I got tired of spending small fortunes on things that wouldn't last but two years at the most. I just use my overly priced I phone as the go to time keeper.

Undoubtedly, my favourite watch, at the moment . . . for £20-00

Casio Men's Black Resin Strap Watch902/5873

Casio Men's Black Resin Strap Watch 0

Available for my "family jewellers" . . .

I was so attracted by the image/photo, I HAD to buy one . . . for only £15 . . . ;) .

Limit Men's Tan Faux Leather Strap Watch 316/5674

Limit Men's Tan Faux Leather Strap Watch 0

Note: It is so light, you could forget you are wearing it! When I took it to Timpsons for a new battery, I was surprised/disappointed, to see the "mechanism" is clearly that intended for a (smaller) ladies watch and is quite lost within the bigger (blokes') sized case. Still it makes a nice change :) .

Again, available for my "family jewellers" . . .

Last edited:
Why is a thread about cheap council watches in the Officer forum?
The REME have Officers too. They also let Northerners (or half-Northerners, like myself) Commission.

It's called 'Diversity and Inclusion'.

Why is a thread about cheap council watches in the Officer forum?
Because some of us Officers, have a wife, a car, and (did :( past tense) own a horse . . . and, consequently, we therefore have NO MONEY left to indulge on expensive watches.

And, as I have oft mentioned on automobile threads/sites . . . money does does NOT equate to "good taste" ;) .

Last edited:

jmb3296

War Hero

View attachment 520967
No. 2 son still has and uses his occasionally

But it is a true beater and rapidly looks like one

My absolute most favourite watch over the last twenty plus years . . . now £58-49 (See link below)

Discontinued at my "Family jewellers" some time ago, and deleted from the Timex site :( .

I have had two, and in total must have purchased another three, which were used as presents for appreciative family members :) .

Mens' Timex Expedition Alarm Chronograph Watch T45181

1605542302053.png

jmb3296

War Hero
I went through a phase of vintage automatic watches at no money on eBay. Particularly if they were not a “brand” This one is a 1960s automatic that keeps good time for a mere £15. I think it is presentable if a little small for my wrist so it doesn’t get out as much as it should

8899A691-9846-465B-BA3D-A6466EB0E9A6.jpeg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As always:

G10 for me.jpg

endure

GCM
Seiko SNZH53. Can be had for less than £200 if you look around. Entirely coincidentally it bears a striking resemblance to one of the first ever diving watches, the Blancpain 50 fathom which is about 25 times costlier ;-)

seiko_snzh55_fifty_five_fathom_1592839261_9d0ba50e_progressive.jpg

Seiko SNZH53. Can be had for less than £200 if you look around. Entirely coincidentally it bears a striking resemblance to one of the first ever diving watches, the Blancpain 50 fathom which is about 25 times costlier ;-)

seiko_snzh55_fifty_five_fathom_1592839261_9d0ba50e_progressive-jpg.520987

On a similar(ish) note...

Recently auctioned for £165,000 (and good for 200m)
sbreal.jpg

Mine for 95 quid (and good for 500m)
sbcopy.jpg