AFF

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Morty, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Instead of two weeks in 'Shagaluf' with the lads this summer I'm thinking of doing an Accelerated Free Fall parachute course. At £1450, it's a bit more than what i'd pay for a summer holiday but looks like something i'd enjoy and find more worthwhile than killing braincells. The cost quoted above does not include an additional £250 for ten 'consolodation' jumps to take you to Grade 8 solo skydiver. Anyone done this course and have anything to say about it? The advantages of it seem to be that it takes just a week to do and that's you all qualified as a solo skydiver.

Cheers.

2. Morty mate i did AFF back in 1997 with my Corps... (GOOD OLD RE) It only cost me £500 but then there was the cost of the weekends off.

I believe that skydiving is well worth it but then im an old adrinalin junkie, unfortunately retired now.... too many dependant kids.

You should look and see if your unit has a sports officer for skydiving... if not look and see if your Corps has a skydiving team, you may find that they run an exercise at some point in the year taking non freefallers on an AFF course, mine was in California.

If they dont then still go for it with the civi course as its great not knowing the grounds rushing up to you at 120 mph till you start to get to about 3,500 ft or below.

Once your qualified as Cat 8 then you can jump just about anywhere in the world. Then its set sights for Cat 10 and you can push.... soz put people out of the plane too.

Hope you do AFF as it's probably the best way to jump, beats dope on a rope.

Enjoy the sport whatever your choice is.

3. Morty mate i did AFF back in 1997 with my Corps... (GOOD OLD RE) It only cost me £500 but then there was the cost of the weekends off.

I believe that skydiving is well worth it but then im an old adrinalin junkie, unfortunately retired now.... too many dependant kids.

You should look and see if your unit has a sports officer for skydiving... if not look and see if your Corps has a skydiving team, you may find that they run an exercise at some point in the year taking non freefallers on an AFF course, mine was in California.

If they dont then still go for it with the civi course as its great not knowing the grounds rushing up to you at 120 mph till you start to get to about 3,500 ft or below.

Once your qualified as Cat 8 then you can jump just about anywhere in the world. Then its set sights for Cat 10 and you can push.... soz put people out of the plane too.

Hope you do AFF as it's probably the best way to jump, beats dope on a rope.

Enjoy the sport whatever your choice is.

4. You should be aware that the Army Parachute Association at Netheravon run AFF courses. If you are serious about wanting to take up skydiving, you should think about doing it through the APA. If you want to combine your AFF course with some sunshine abroad then, once again, the staff at Netheravon can help. See www.netheravon.com and then give the APA Secretary a call to discuss the options. 94321-8250 or 01980-678250

5. Lets think about this..................

A week or two in California with blue skies and actually getting the jumps in OR a few miserable days in Nethers with low cloud and rain before being told the course is delayed / cancelled due to bad weather.......

If you picked the first option you have a chance at greatness. Option two indicates you are a cnut.

6. Which is why I offered the options. Having been skydiving since 1971 and having run AFF courses in California since 1997, there is no doubt that the west coast is the perfect place for learning AFF. That said, my son did AFF through the APA in 5 days and loves it. And Netheravon did manage to do 29,945 jumps last year so the options may not be as clear cut! Whatever you decide, make sure you call the APA for advice. The association exists to help soldiers get to altitude as cheaply as possible. Normal military jump prices are 40% cheaper than those paid by civilians - it's a great place to skydive. Finally, there are a number of ex military types who run AFF abroad - they speak our language and the standards are high. Again the APA know them all!

7. I'm also looking at doing AFF this summer, found this place, might give you the sun as well, for not dissimilar costs.

Freefall University

8. I've heard no bad reports from there. Just bear in mind that it gets really hot there in the summer and the ground gets seriously hard. Air density reduces with the high temperatures and you come down quicker! If you just want to do the course (and no more) then Spain is a good option. If you want to continue then do consider Netheravon, particularly in the summer. The staff can run mid week programmes for you if you want. The APA is taking delivery of a second brand new Cessna Caravan in June so there will be no shortage of lift capacity. And the registration is going to be G-OAFF. What ever you do, have fun.

9. Cheers, some good info there. Unfortunately for me, i'm a civvy so can't take advantage of the benefits of doing the course through the army. Right - o, off to that Feefall University site me thinks.

Cheers!

10. Morty,

Yes you can. Talk to the APA 01980-678250.

11. Scotty Milne. Ex Para, Ex-Red Devil, 5 time British Champion and all round good bloke.

Check the clicky and contact him. http://activeskydiving.co.uk/

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Its been a while ... but do they not run 'em in Cyprus anymore?

13. yep deffo i have just got back from a week long trip to spain for my AFF course and had a great time with scotty and his team!!

if you get a chance it is a must do trip!!!

14. Or give his lad Alle a call at Langar.

15. We have skydiving trips for AFF and all levels of training or fun jumping as follows:

Ampuriabrava Spain Jan 3-10
    Elsinore California Jan 21-Feb 4

The trips will be about every 3 weeks and we welcome all and any to join us.

Scotty@activeskydiving.co.uk