Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFCS Mental Health - 4 Year Interim Award Review & NHS Psychiatrist Letter

Keanu

Crow
Hi! I was awarded AFCS Tariff for Mental Disorders in 2016 and was placed on interim award review twice i.e. 4 years now. I recently (i.e. 2 months ago) received a blank AFCS recondiersation form to fill-in. I am still undergoing treatment, so what shall I do? Should I ask them to hold their decision until all treatments is completed which is still uncertain!!!
Additionally, Is there any specific format of doctor' letter to Veterans UK, as I do not know how should I approach and what should I explain to my NHS Psychiatrist on what to write in AFCS terms without upsetting/irritating them? I am a very reserved person with extreme lack of confidence due to severe mental health issues, to ask such request, please help!

D

Deleted 169562

Keanu

My disorder was and is very much like yourself, i am at the 2 year final decision of my interim award, i was originally awarded level 12 it was increased to level 10, and now i am receiving help from a legal firm Hilary Meridith, and after reviewing all the evidence feel an increase again is justified. but what worked in my favour is i have had 30 odd months of EMDR treatment to no avail i am on medication, and have been for a while and probably will do for a very long time.i was reviewed by so many psychiatrists, and some were even trying to tell me i just had self-esteem issues, which shocked me even more, i have tried CBT but you cannot successfully complete CBT until a sustained period of TRAUMA based or emotional based EMDR has been completed and you are showing signs of some sort of normality,so it will be to no avail, now this information is extremely difficult to get the NHS professionals to put into words because no doctor is gonna say that you will have this relatively unknown condition forever.and if you are still going through treatment they are well within their rights to extend the interim review until treatment has been completed because the prognosis is still unknown. once all avenues have been exhausted and you have it in writing from a psychiatrist at the consultant level that your condition has plateaued and you might suffer from this for the rest of your life or every treatment has been tried but you are only able to manage your condition , it then shows VETERANS that everything has been done within a professional capacity to make you better so liability sits with the service with which put you in this position.
so in a nutshell keep plugging away at the treatment and get everything written down and send eveything to veterans as they made a decision for me without reviewing new evidence i had before my final award date was due.

i hope this helps a little

daz

Keanu

Crow
Thanks Exmatlo!
I have completed numerous Trauma-based PTSD therapies and CBTs, except EMDR, because both my NHS Psychologist and Psychiatrist informed me that i will struggle on EMDR therapies due to my other physical health injuries and neurological conditions. Not sure if that, i.e. not being able to complete EMDR, will be a huge issues in order to comply with NICE Guidelines for final interim award decision!

D

Deleted 169562

Thanks Exmatlo!
I have completed numerous Trauma-based PTSD therapies and CBTs, except EMDR, because both my NHS Psychologist and Psychiatrist informed me that i will struggle on EMDR therapies due to my other physical health injuries and neurological conditions. Not sure if that, i.e. not being able to complete EMDR, will be a huge issues in order to comply with NICE Guidelines for final interim award decision!
if you are unable to complete it , though it might sound like you are dictating and bugging the consultant, which i understand, just go to them and say that you need it all in writing and if they agree that EMDR cannot be attempted then it needs to be stated else Vets UK will disregard everything

Richie1305

Swinger
Agreed with the last comment mate, I had EMDR and it didn't work but was told i had to get it in writing to say it was attempted because if they say you didn't complete it and don't have something in writing to back it up, they will say all treatment hasn't been fully attempted and t will affect your award of permanent condition. |It isn't right but they are shifty bastards and you need to cover all bases mate

Latest Threads