AFCS APPEAL TRIBUNAL

Hi all,

Ive been currently waiting 5 months into my appeal for PTSD , I was awarded level 10 after a multitude of events which caused my mental health to deteriorate. AFCS acknowledged this in October and I’m yet to hear a thing back yet.

Im on the verge of declaring bankruptcy due to not being able to work due to my condition and covid. I’m confident I will win my claim as my evidence is overwhelming, although I’ve just been advised I could be not be seen by a tribunal until the end of the year.

Any advice on the wait for a tribunal date or whether declaring bankruptcy before my appeal is worth doing.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Ive been currently waiting 5 months into my appeal for PTSD , I was awarded level 10 after a multitude of events which caused my mental health to deteriorate. AFCS acknowledged this in October and I’m yet to hear a thing back yet.

Im on the verge of declaring bankruptcy due to not being able to work due to my condition and covid. I’m confident I will win my claim as my evidence is overwhelming, although I’ve just been advised I could be not be seen by a tribunal until the end of the year.

Any advice on the wait for a tribunal date or whether declaring bankruptcy before my appeal is worth doing.

Many thanks in advance.
Any chance you've picked up the phone and requested your tribunal is expidited on compassionate grounds?

Bankrupty can have unimaginable impacts the insights I've read and should generally be a last resort, when it comes to creditors etc you can always string them along or explain circumstances, generally people are quite understanding, as @MoleBath said a charity is free and will have had seen similar cases and offer quite good advice as well.

Bankruptcy I'm sure you know what the implications are!

Any chance you've picked up the phone and requested your tribunal is expidited on compassionate grounds?

Bankrupty can have unimaginable impacts the insights I've read and should generally be a last resort, when it comes to creditors etc you can always string them along or explain circumstances, generally people are quite understanding, as @MoleBath said a charity is free and will have had seen similar cases and offer quite good advice as well.

Bankruptcy I'm sure you know what the implications are!
I requested early interim review last year, they didn’t even respond.
Their phone lines do not direct you anymore it’s all via email as I’m sure they’ve had enough of the same issues.
I’ve sent numerous emails explaining my situation, I’ve attempted to take my own life 3 times since 2019 alone and this was completely mugged off so I’m sure that bankruptcy won’t play any part.
I’ve spoken with the RBL and he just said it’s just the way things are with veterans UK.
It’s vile, but that’s me going off on a tangent.
Creditors have been advised and they’ve helped for the last year or so, this is the end of the line for me now.

Unfortunately you won’t be awarded anymore than level 10... unless you use a private solicitor. The levels above 10 are permeant mental disorders which need to be proven to be permeant, As in every type of medication, therapy and so on has been tried and you still suffer with symptoms after. Very hard to get above 10 level. It’s a joke, my consultant psychiatrist said it’s impossible to ever get over complex PTSD it’s only manageable with treatment.

GreatDane

Clanker
Unfortunately you won’t be awarded anymore than level 10... unless you use a private solicitor. The levels above 10 are permeant mental disorders which need to be proven to be permeant, As in every type of medication, therapy and so on has been tried and you still suffer with symptoms after. Very hard to get above 10 level. It’s a joke, my consultant psychiatrist said it’s impossible to ever get over complex PTSD it’s only manageable with treatment.
I know that we are on different pay schemes but evidence gathering as has already been mentioned is extremely important. In addition take a close look at the rules and guidance they are meant to follow including the medical handbook.
My Tribunal was last week and although extremely tough I had my wife with me to help when brain fog came,which is due to the amount of pain and crazy pills I take.
Prepare a full written response to there evidence and submit it to the tribunal, I even managed to get the judge to order them to type out the medical report written on me.

Stay with it and get the help you need financially from the charities out there don’t forget your own regimental scheme that you paid into.

Dani930

Clanker
Hello, how long after a successful appeal at AFCS Tribunal before you get a payout ?
Prepare for an extended wait. It took 6 weeks for Vets uk to issue my notice from the award (Reconsideration) and equinity have up to 20 working days to place the sums into payment.

If you are awarded AFIP this can be up to 10 weeks (6weeks from them accepting the award and issuing to DWP) and a further 4 for the payment to be made.

Prepare for an extended wait. It took 6 weeks for Vets uk to issue my notice from the award (Reconsideration) and equinity have up to 20 working days to place the sums into payment.

If you are awarded AFIP this can be up to 10 weeks (6weeks from them accepting the award and issuing to DWP) and a further 4 for the payment to be made.
Hey Dani.

I’m at the stage of coming to the end of the 42 day challenge period. I won my tribunal and was wondering if the 6 week wait you had is from when you get your decision from the tribunal or is it another 6 weeks after your 42 day challenge period. Please help. Thanks.

Dani930

Clanker
Hey Dani.

I’m at the stage of coming to the end of the 42 day challenge period. I won my tribunal and was wondering if the 6 week wait you had is from when you get your decision from the tribunal or is it another 6 weeks after your 42 day challenge period. Please help. Thanks.
Evening fella,

it took over 7 weeks for my file to come back from policy before the notice was issued. Payments took the full 20 working days and AFIP back dated payments took 5 weeks post notice but only 2 weeks after receiving notice of the award.

It was frustrating at times having several payments but all have finally landed. Do expect the full timescales given Covid and the backlog of cases

StressVet

Clanker
Has anyone here ever been awarded a mental disorder Level 8 or 6 without having to go to tribunal please?Or is veterans UK putting those tariffs up there only to mislead the public?

The saving grace is AFIP like PIPS is backdated to the date of the recieved application so stick with it, I got an award of PIPS after my discharge mind you I had to go through appeal etc mandatory reconcideration and producing shed loads of evidence

I am looking for some advice please.I have had afcs refused to upgrade me to a permanent mental disorder level 8 or 6 back in 2019,which i appealed then and had my tribunal heard in June when the panel couldnt make a decision of permanency because Vets UK didnt add any of my prio treatments in there bundles before leaving service.I have had a complete cause of CBT 10 sess and emdr 5 sess in service and been having treatment causes with Combat stress since i left in 2015 and also last year completed another 22 ses of TF-cbt with Aipts,But the judge asked vets UK to review my file again including the missing docs that included the treatments i had post service which are now included in the bundle.Also i have a new psychiatrist consultant report comfirming my diagnoses again not the first one tho i was diagnose back in 2012,but in this one the consultant suggest that my condition will be long and the previouse said i will be susceptible to anxiet and depression,but recommended that i should again be started on venlafaxine XL and a course of Emdr or CBT.My question is i have had sh**t lots of treatment already and still suffering should this recommendation affect my review for a permanent level 8 or 6?

Last edited:

commachio36

Clanker
I am looking for some advice please.I have had afcs refused to upgrade me to a permanent mental disorder level 8 or 6 back in 2019,which i appealed then and had my tribunal heard in June when the panel couldnt make a decision of permanency because Vets UK didnt add any of my prio treatments in there bundles before leaving service.I have had a complete cause of CBT 10 sess and emdr 5 sess in service and been having treatment causes with Combat stress since i left in 2015 and also last year completed another 22 ses of TF-cbt with Aipts,But the judge asked vets UK to review my file again including the missing docs that included the treatments i had post service which are now included in the bundle.Also i have a new psychiatrist consultant report comfirming my diagnoses again not the first one tho i was diagnose back in 2012,but in this one the consultant suggest that my condition will be long and the previouse said i will be susceptible to anxiet and depression,but recommended that i should again be started on venlafaxine XL and a course of Emdr or CBT.My question is i have had sh**t lots of treatment already and still suffering should this recommendation affect my review for a permanent level 8 or 6?

Is there anyway to appeal the tribunal as an error in law, if the info was not in there and you have evidence of it, surely it could be submitted or heard by a higher tribunal?

I’ve got long term PTSD, 11 years on and left service after 2012, it’s been a nightmare, and my theory now is, there is no prosthetic limb for the mind, if treatment does not work you are left to manage with medication and praying you don’t have a bad day.

I get a lot...

Remember only 80% of people are successful with EMDR or CBT that leaves 20% of treatment resistant people and Vets are most likely over civilians to be T-resistant.

Any more news on your claims? I had a recent tribunal and should be hearing any day now. Apparently the parties need to agree after the tribunal then I will know in writing when it’s finalised. It always feels like vets UK drag their heels constantly. My evidence pack was over 500 pages and they sit there like some kind of security at castle black!!! Veterans need support now wake up vets UK, I wouldn’t be surprised if once I have found out the decision they take the full 6 weeks to release compensation that is 9 years overdue... shocking!

I will keep you all updated and please do the same!

Gather as much evidence as you can, I paid £300 for a private consultation with a psychiatrist and was with him for 3-4 hours, it was extremely upsetting but without it, I dread to think, it is hard, don’t give up!!! I know not everyone can afford a private thing like that and believe me I struggled for a month because of it, but did it for the greater good later on, so I pray... the waiting and not knowing feels worse than the tribunal and that messed me up for a good 48 hours!

God bless!
And keep strong!

Is there anyway to appeal the tribunal as an error in law, if the info was not in there and you have evidence of it, surely it could be submitted or heard by a higher tribunal?

I’ve got long term PTSD, 11 years on and left service after 2012, it’s been a nightmare, and my theory now is, there is no prosthetic limb for the mind, if treatment does not work you are left to manage with medication and praying you don’t have a bad day.

I get a lot...

Remember only 80% of people are successful with EMDR or CBT that leaves 20% of treatment resistant people and Vets are most likely over civilians to be T-resistant.

Any more news on your claims? I had a recent tribunal and should be hearing any day now. Apparently the parties need to agree after the tribunal then I will know in writing when it’s finalised. It always feels like vets UK drag their heels constantly. My evidence pack was over 500 pages and they sit there like some kind of security at castle black!!! Veterans need support now wake up vets UK, I wouldn’t be surprised if once I have found out the decision they take the full 6 weeks to release compensation that is 9 years overdue... shocking!

Gather as much evidence as you can, I paid £300 for a private consultation with a psychiatrist and was with him for 3-4 hours, it was extremely upsetting but without it, I dread to think, it is hard, don’t give up!!! I know not everyone can afford a private thing like that and believe me I struggled for a month because of it, but did it for the greater good later on, so I pray... the waiting and not knowing feels worse than the tribunal and that messed me up for a good 48 hours!

God bless!
And keep strong!
I have man

I get a lot...

God bless!
And keep strong!
Thanks alot bro and hope a praying for you to have a good result from your tribunal.For me my file is back again with the MA's for a review and its 2 weeks now since it went in as this was the judges direction,because there were so many Docs not summited by vets UK as part of my bundle but luckily i had copies of all of them and also paid for a private psychiatrist consultation like you and added all those together to have them to review the case again hopefully this time they will come out with something sensible as man i a very very very exhausted now and truely fedup of the whole journey with vets UK.Been in the system for 13 years now ans still been F**k with very silly silly issues not ifnt worth it.I have had lots of treatments and non work countless change of med non work for the past 10years and now i am just tired and fedup.Hope and praying for you to get a very good come back from you tribunal Soldier you deserve it.

commachio36

Clanker
Thanks brother. Will keep you updated, called yesterday to be told they need to have 3 agreements etc... spoke to my RBL rep who suggested that someone’s probably not sent in there agreement yet (I bet we can all haz a guess as to who that may be...) always here or pm if you need a chat, there’s only so much searching you can do on a forum looking for answers...hope.
Praying it won’t be a long wait for you mate, none of this is fair, the wait, the errors, the back and forth and then more years have passed.

As I said, hopefully it will be this week I hear the results. And will let you know, and also, more importantly how long the whole process is from being awarded to the compensation landing and all backdated timescales.

All the very best!

Latest Threads