AFCO question.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ruffage, Aug 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Basically, I'm seventeen, and want to apply for RMAS after I've done my A levels. I also want to do some travelling after I've done them. Considering I won't be looking to go to RMAS for at least a year, probably more like two, when is it a good idea to get down to my AFCO? Should I go as soon as possible or wait until I'm fitter/closer to the time I want to go?
  2. How about university?

3. Too thick.
  4. well, its domething u have to decide wether or not u r ready or not? not us.we can just guide you on how etc...if u know what i mean
  5. I'm ready to start the process up. I've got no doubts of what I want to do. I just didn't know whether I would be swanning in there wasting time.
  6. The armed forces nowadays generally try and encourage people to get some 'life experience' before joining up straight after school. I would suggest getting your travelling done, getting fit then getting down to your AFCO. Chances are that once you've been to the AFCO and shown interest, it'll be pretty hard to squeeze in travelling etc. whilst managing your application.
  7. Update: I've been offered an introductory meeting by a Colonel I met at a UCAS convention in Leeds. It's at Imphal Barracks, York, at the beginning of September. I've stepped up my fitness plan, making it a bit more serious now. Does anyone know what I should expect from this meeting? Don't worry, I'll be wearing a suit.
  8. Probably just an informal chat with you?
  9. Probably just a chat about the application process, what you can expect and what you want to do in your armed forces career. Still, make a good first impression. I know a mistake a few people made at selection and even before selection at LAL courses was to forget that even though you're a civilian, give the Colonel the respect and call them "Sir". I mean, s/he is a Colonel, meaning s/he's put in at least 6 years hard work. :p

10. Thanks sam. I didn't even think of that.
  11. And the rest..... :D

12. Judging by your written work, I doubt that.

If you don't go up to university, you will fall behind your contemporaries.

Read up all you can, talk it over with your contacts and make the decision later; don't automatically discount reading for a degree. It will help you later on with your career.

13. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely consider it, and get advice from the Army Careers Adviser.
  14. 6 yrs to me promotions fast these days 8O

have you actually served you knobber :?
  15. 6 yrs hard work, 12+ yrs loafing.