AFC????

tramp_on_chips said:
Is AFC Harrogate not just the new combined version of the old ATFC (Princess Marina) in Arborfield and the AFC in Harrogate?
Has it changed now in the sense that it is in fact a college and not a Basic Training establishment that CMS(R) is taught?
I did seven months at AFC(H) and the CMS(R) is definitely taught there. It is just the Phase 1 Basic Training course spread out over 42 weeks. It is designed for younger school leavers, as it involves not only the military training but also adventurous training and as you only with people that are your age, the ability to make friends that you will have a for a long time.
After the first 6 weeks you pass in and receive your Regimental Headdress, and by then you have been there long enough to know what you are doing.
You do NVQs in Communication Skills and Application of Number, which is basically English and Maths, and also IT. You will also complete you ECDL while you are there, as I believe it is needed to become a Sergeant (I might be wrong there...).

dk.baxter said:
tramp_on_chips said:
Is AFC Harrogate not just the new combined version of the old ATFC (Princess Marina) in Arborfield and the AFC in Harrogate?
Has it changed now in the sense that it is in fact a college and not a Basic Training establishment that CMS(R) is taught?
I did seven months at AFC(H) and the CMS(R) is definitely taught there. It is just the Phase 1 Basic Training course spread out over 42 weeks. It is designed for younger school leavers, as it involves not only the military training but also adventurous training and as you only with people that are your age, the ability to make friends that you will have a for a long time.
After the first 6 weeks you pass in and receive your Regimental Headdress, and by then you have been there long enough to know what you are doing.
You do NVQs in Communication Skills and Application of Number, which is basically English and Maths, and also IT. You will also complete you ECDL while you are there, as I believe it is needed to become a Sergeant (I might be wrong there...).
Spot on.

Ive visited it four times as a recruiter and also as a parent as my sons due to pass out in August. Extremely good place with lots of learning potential and facilities and at an easier stride of 42 working weeks (year) than 14 weeks adult training. As a para you will go up to do 10 to 14 weeks at ITC Catterick to do your infantry side. Nip into your ACIO and ask if they have the AFC DVD for you and your parents to watch, its a good insight.

Good luck

take no notice to abuse mate, at the end of the day you werent writing an essay this is simply a forum. i have no point on this as i went to pirbright, just good luck if you go for it and never give up.