afc harrogatte, whats it like first few weeks?

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by sambee99, Aug 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im going to harrogate 5th september 2010 and im new to this site
    i just wanted to know if anybody has been and what are the first few weeks like
    do they beast you hard? and is the physical fitness side of it hard from day 1 or is it gradual
    because i have had so many different answers and i just want to know what im in for on week 1, 2, 3, 4 etc thanks

2. hey yeah im also goign harrogate on the 5th mate from what ive heard first week is easy 'let you settle in' get all the paper work done and teach you how to iron kit ecr... then i think they start to kick it up a notch as the first 6 weeks are ment to be the hardest to weedle out the week ones ,mongs and so on as for the phsical side ive heard you do a PT assessment so they know your current fitness then i think squad you into you similar fitness level group so your not being pushed to be as good as a super human bullet who can do the mile and a half in 2 minutes not to say it wont be hard but it wont be impossible aslong as your still ADSC fit youll be fine to quote a very experienced para ' if your already fit half the battle is won.' the overall advice ive been told is to keep your head down and give it you all!

all my information is sorced from talking to people from the army, the residents of arrse and research on the mod website

3. Hi Guys,

I have a son at AFC who passes out next week, the first 6 weeks is the hardest, week one is mainly paperwork however then its quite intensive few weeks with pt and education, no privileges until after the first 6 weeks so no naafi and limited calls home, this makes you get into the army way of life. All I can say boys after seeing my son work hard and you will get through it , and you will learn an amazing amount of information and skills, good luck boys and try to enjoy it x

4. the first week is the easiest of al but if you want to be the one that gets rank then you need to work hard, and just because you didnt get it when the first lance jacks were given out it doesnt mean that you wont get it, so in other words just work hard from the start, no matter how hard it gets and if you get an injury dont worry about it, if it gets any worse than it first was then you need to go and get it checked but dont go just because you get a niggling pain. that is the most info i can give you, just enjoy it and your last week will be the easiest ever because all you do is drill and parade rehersals. enjoy it and remember work hard

5. sambee i went through AFC (H) in 2004 and i can tell you its a long year, it requires alot of hard work, but just knuckle down and get on with it, u will find the first few week hard with the home sickness and gettin beasted basically bein treat like shit, but in the end it all worth it.

as for the physical training side being a PTI and been to a training establishment i can tell you that the PTI's will probably beast you for next to no reason and at times you will be breathing out you arrse because thats how we are told to treat you, but look at it on the brighter side, the fitter you become the easier you will find it. also the fitter you are within your platoon the more you will be noticed for the better reasons.

hope this helps and just stick with it, you will meeet some resally good lads who wuill be in the same situation, just help each other out.

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

My wife serves at AFC, so I got the chance to watch the graduation parade on 12 Aug, where the Princess Royal took the salute. There were not far off a thousand very proud parents and other family to watch a very impressive parade by soldiers who are almost all just 17 or 18 years old. The march off, where the permanent staff have left the square, and the parade is commanded by junior NCOs and WOs was very moving. My wife tells me that parade is the biggest in terms of numbers in Europe.

It will be hard work and you'll have to knuckle down and learn to help and rely on your muckers. However, your permanent staff are there to train you without breaking you and there's plenty of medical and welfare staff to approach for advice and help, if you have a serious problem.

The principal problem in the first few weeks is homesickness and that's why your privileges are restricted till week 6. It's also why you are entitled to change your mind in the early days and leave. It's in no-one's interest to force some-one to stay if it's obvious you've made a bad decision. (I've been out 10 years now and can't remember the details of this 'Discharge as of Right').

Good luck, maybe you can come back on in a month or so and let us know how it's going.

There's an AFC thread here ,btw:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/joining-up-regular/89267-afc-harrogate-chat-queries.html

I'm editing the post because my wife is home and tells me:
    5000 people watching and almost 700 on parade
    The great majority of junior soldiers graduate and 99.9% of those achieved a Diploma as 'IT users'.
    Discharge as of Right exists until you reach 18 years of age.
    And an article here:
    Soldier - Magazine of the British army

And, finally, if you can edit the title of your thread to the proper spelling of Harrogate, then other people will find it if they do a search.

7. sooo excited start in september , <3

8. I'm finally getting my med forms sorted out today so should be in for September intake, can't wait !

9. awwr thats good you still got a lot to do ,, can you mail on this? x

10. It's a long time since I went through what was then Junior Leaders but I'm sure the principle is the same. My advice for the first few weeks is:
    1. Maintain your sense of humour
    2. Work hard at all physical aspects of training (if you're already fit you will have a definate edge)
    3. Don't get noticed in a negative light for being gobby, lazy, dirty or selfish
    3. Don't be afraid to volunteer to be first to try anything or to demonstrate anything; this will get you noticed but in a positive light
    4. You will undoubtably have dark times when everything seems too much and you're really missing home but these moments do pass and are often the ones you look back on in later years and smile about (see point 1)
    5. Don't put off sorting out your kit once you've finished whatever task it is you are given, as soon as you get the chance to wash, clean and iron your kit, do it. The army hates people who do not wash themselves or their kit and mingers are always noticed (see point 2)
    6 And finally, enjoy it, you'll make some great mates and hopefully look back on basic training with fond memories.

11. Just wondering what is the phone privileges like in the first six weeks?

12. What do you need a phone for? you'll be with 40 other guys you've never met before. Try talking to them rather than the people you've known your entire life.