AFC Harrogate I'm Thinking Of Joining But Not Completely Sure Yet

I'm 16 and college isn't doing it for me, I'm enjoying my course but I want to do something if you get what I mean as I just can't stand being inside sat down all day. I'm going to go down the careers again sometime during the week but I wanted to get the advice of people who have been in the army. If you could just bombard me with as much infomation, advice and help you can I would really appriciate it.

On this sort of thread I always advise the following: If you have any sort of academic aptitude - which you clearly do, you're in college - then it is better to get as many qualifications now, whilst you are still in that frame of mind, than it is to put it off.

Yes you can go back and re-qualify when you are older, and yes you can even do it in the military. Either of these options is significantly harder to do than to knuckle down and just get it done now.

Don't think that the Army will all be living the outdoors life, depending on what trade you do you could equally be sat down inside. And some of Army life will be equally as if not more, tedious than College - at least when the bell rings you are free to go and do whatever you please, whereas in the Army this is not always the case.

If on consideration you are absolutely dead set on quitting college now and joining up, make sure you do loads of phys - the fitter you are when you get to training, the easier you will find it.

BTW at your age I expect you'll need some form of parental permission, and I believe that they won't deploy you until you are 18, so depending on your exact age, you could finish army basic training, get to a unit - and then watch them deploy without you due to age. You could be left with the Rear Party doing shite jobs around a near empty camp.

ugly

LE
This is the same poster filling the board with questions about anaemia and asthma isn't it?

ugly

LE
Meh, wrong user id but almost identical style of writing.

@Imedria,
As @Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab says, it is harder to go back to college if you quit.

Get the best quals you can, work on your phys, then get down the careers office.

Thankyou everyone for you help, going down the careers Friday. I'm already fairly fit but I'm going to work a biit more on my upperr body strengh.

Don't overdo the phys - as the PTIs, Medical staff and I [as number cruncher] showed, the Junior Entry body is more prone to injury - you haven't stopped growing yet. It led to a rethink of juniors' physical development. Bear in mind that about one third of your time at AFC will be taken up with education, but it is aimed at useful qualifications that will stand you in good stead when promotion looms.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm 16 and college isn't doing it for me, I'm enjoying my course but I want to do something if you get what I mean as I just can't stand being inside sat down all day. I'm going to go down the careers again sometime during the week but I wanted to get the advice of people who have been in the army. If you could just bombard me with as much infomation, advice and help you can I would really appriciate it.

We spent 2 years at AFC almost a decade ago. I'd say go for it.

The stats say that AFC people serve longer and get promoted quicker. It's hard work, challenging and the education you'll get is a life changing influence, if you're up for it.

We spent 2 years at AFC almost a decade ago. I'd say go for it.

The stats say that AFC people serve longer and get promoted quicker. It's hard work, challenging and the education you'll get is a life changing influence, if you're up for it.
Thanks for your answer, how did you find your time? Did you enjoy it? also the main thing I am worring about is the fitness, I am fairly fit and I make sure to keep active, how hard did you find it. Is it harder than you expected or easier?

Thanks for your answer, how did you find your time? Did you enjoy it? also the main thing I am worring about is the fitness, I am fairly fit and I make sure to keep active, how hard did you find it. Is it harder than you expected or easier?
Don't worry - AFC will not expect you to be Superman/Woman - they will get you fit. Some of it will be sports fit, activity fit, running fit, weight carrying fit. I spent nearly two years there as Company 2IC, I think it was as much an education for me as it was for the Junior Soldiers (I'm sure @PAXBloke would agree). Incidentally for the remainder of my career I regularly ran into young men and women who had been in my Company or recognised me from AFC and they all said that although they hated it at the time, the education side had been time well spent as most of them were ahead of their peer group in terms of literacy and numeracy and in many cases this had been a factor in them promoting early by comparison. If you decide to go to AFC I am sure you will enjoy it. Likewise if you decide to grin and bear it at college and get your quals before going in as an adult you will also enjoy a rewarding career, good luck.

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

I wasn't there as a recruit and I was an Army marathon runner. My take on the youngsters was that they tended to enjoy the challenge.

Physical fitness is essential. If you are not fit, you are liable to struggle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NCLRD123 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 11
The_Unstoppable Juniors 6
L Juniors 11