AFC Harrogate Chat & Queries

louby50

Swinger
Hope you get it sorted soon I have to say we had a good experience with the recruitment side of it my son applied in September went to assessment centre in January and starts at Harrogate tomorrow morning. I am a nervous wreck he however is looking forward to it lol x
Kerry

I can't imagine what you're going through this evening. Please let us know how he gets on tomorrow (& how you get on too) x

Kerry

I can't imagine what you're going through this evening. Please let us know how he gets on tomorrow (& how you get on too) x

Thanks very much honestly I am a wreck so worried about how he will cope but need to let them grow up sometime I suppose we are leaving home at 5am to drive him there and have been over the kit list a million times still feel like we have forgotten something but he’s had enough of my fussing now lol. Hope things start moving forward for your boy soon. I’ll be around for a while yet as my other son has just applied to join too xx

We have tried to encourage him to think engineering/technical etc (he's brilliant at Geography) but he's fixed on infantry.

So you can transfer after a time then?

Silly question, but when in a combat role and not deployed what do you actually do in a typical day? I get that mechanics, chefs etc are mainting, working etc but what does an infantry soldier do 9-5?
Hi Louby50, We sound like we are in almost identical positions with our sons!! I am a teacher too and my son is joining Harrogate (hopefully) in Sep. Just passed his assessment days last week and achieved a B+ score and we wnt to the careers centre to pick his role. If your son loves Geography (as mine does too) why not try for a Geo Technician role? My son was hoping to get this but cannot as he is colour blind. He has gone with a communications Engineer role with the Royal Signals instead now.

louby50

Swinger
Hi Louby50, We sound like we are in almost identical positions with our sons!! I am a teacher too and my son is joining Harrogate (hopefully) in Sep. Just passed his assessment days last week and achieved a B+ score and we wnt to the careers centre to pick his role. If your son loves Geography (as mine does too) why not try for a Geo Technician role? My son was hoping to get this but cannot as he is colour blind. He has gone with a communications Engineer role with the Royal Signals instead now.
Hi

That's great about your son, well done to him. After much deliberation my son has now decided to do A levels. He's still wanting to join the Army but is looking at trying to apply as an Officer further down the line.

Part of me is pleased, part disappointed but it's ultimately his choice.

Hi

That's great about your son, well done to him. After much deliberation my son has now decided to do A levels. He's still wanting to join the Army but is looking at trying to apply as an Officer further down the line.

Part of me is pleased, part disappointed but it's ultimately his choice.

Your son is doing the right thing...I wish mine was that sensible! Good luck to him...more education will give him so much more choices! Take care...

Hi All,
My son has applied to go to Harrogate in September to join REME. He passed his assessment last week with a B grade. I have seen people commenting that there son/daughters have a place for September. His army careers officer has said the roles haven't been loaded yet so places can't be officially allocated. Has anyone on here officially been given a place or are you also waiting to hear? Thanks

Hi All,
My son has applied to go to Harrogate in September to join REME. He passed his assessment last week with a B grade. I have seen people commenting that there son/daughters have a place for September. His army careers officer has said the roles haven't been loaded yet so places can't be officially allocated. Has anyone on here officially been given a place or are you also waiting to hear? Thanks
Hi Lorraine
I emailed yesterday to ask about whether he had his role confirmed. Like your son he got a B! They emailed me straight back saying he has been put on the training list for his choice of communications operator and provided he gets the GCSE grades needed will start Sep 15th. I was told April 1st was the date for role allocation. It is a priority role..not sure if that makes a difference. Perhaps email his central recruitment contact..ie the one who sends stuff via the portal and ask. Let me know how you get on x

Hi Lorraine
I emailed yesterday to ask about whether he had his role confirmed. Like your son he got a B! They emailed me straight back saying he has been put on the training list for his choice of communications operator and provided he gets the GCSE grades needed will start Sep 15th. I was told April 1st was the date for role allocation. It is a priority role..not sure if that makes a difference. Perhaps email his central recruitment contact..ie the one who sends stuff via the portal and ask. Let me know how you get on x
Thank you so much for the reply. I have just rung his army careers officer and he had literally just been loaded in the system and he's in pending GCSEs too :)

Does anyone know if the open day is worthwhile and if so how do i get an invite? Im hoping to join in September and it was mentioned at my army briefing. Currently still waiting for medical clearance before assessment centre so dont know if i have to wait until ive done and passed that before i can go to the open day or if worthwhile anyway? Thanks

Does anyone know if the open day is worthwhile and if so how do i get an invite? Im hoping to join in September and it was mentioned at my army briefing. Currently still waiting for medical clearance before assessment centre so dont know if i have to wait until ive done and passed that before i can go to the open day or if worthwhile anyway? Thanks
I think so yes I took my son he really enjoyed it and it gives you the opportunity to look around and ask questions. Your army careers officer should be able to book you on it. They do get booked up though we had to wait for a new date when we went as the one that was coming up was full so I wouldn't hang around.

Hi All,
I got my official place about a week ago as long as i pass my GCSE's. im sure your son will have his by now or if not, soon :)

I think so yes I took my son he really enjoyed it and it gives you the opportunity to look around and ask questions. Your army careers officer should be able to book you on it. They do get booked up though we had to wait for a new date when we went as the one that was coming up was full so I wouldn't hang around.
I asked my ACC and been told its just a turn up to event, is that right as others on here saying you need to be booked on?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Povey Juniors 13
NCLRD123 Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 32
The_Unstoppable Juniors 11

Latest Threads