AFC Harrogate Chat & Queries

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Although I know infantry play an important and vital role I would prefer him to think about what skills/trade he could use when he comes out. He's set to get very good grades in his exams and I just think he needs to think a bit more about it all.

The guy at the careers centre (not a soldier, capita guy) told him that he knows an retired infantry soldier that has a teaching degree, health & safety degree and management qualifications. All well and good, but what are those qualifications in the real world. Does the teaching degree actually mean he can teach in a U.K. school or college? I think the careers advisors should be advising kids in a more productive way. They should see beyond a 15 year olds possibly romantic view of what an infantry soldier is.

I'm a teacher and it took me 4 years to get my degree. I had to work in schools and teach.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my comments as I am in total admiration in all that you do in the military. I just want my son to make the best of his intelligence.
The Army, in fact all Services, encourage further education. There are the chances to do full degrees in most fields.

The Army, in fact all Services, encourage further education. There are the chances to do full degrees in most fields.
How long do these degrees take to achieve? A fulltime BA hons degree took me 4 years. So if you're doing your regular job/ on exercise/ deployed this must take a back seat so could take extra time (months/years) to achieve?

Any advice on this I would greatly appreciate.

How long do these degrees take to achieve? A fulltime BA hons degree took me 4 years. So if you're doing your regular job/ on exercise/ deployed this must take a back seat so could take extra time (months/years) to achieve?

What about a more technical role? I've done 5 years and I'm transferring to a Corps. Although I enjoyed the combat side of the army, the lack if meaningful qualifications really forced my choice to change.

What about a more technical role? I've done 5 years and I'm transferring to a Corps. Although I enjoyed the combat side of the army, the lack if meaningful qualifications really forced my choice to change.
We have tried to encourage him to think engineering/technical etc (he's brilliant at Geography) but he's fixed on infantry.

So you can transfer after a time then?

Silly question, but when in a combat role and not deployed what do you actually do in a typical day? I get that mechanics, chefs etc are mainting, working etc but what does an infantry soldier do 9-5?

We have tried to encourage him to think engineering/technical etc (he's brilliant at Geography) but he's fixed on infantry.

So you can transfer after a time then?

Silly question, but when in a combat role and not deployed what do you actually do in a typical day? I get that mechanics, chefs etc are mainting, working etc but what does an infantry soldier do 9-5?
Transferring is technically a rather easy thing to do, however in practice it's really not, it's taken me nearly 18 month and a lot of running around and sorting stuff out.

Having worked with some infantry other than PT, not very much. If they are about to go on exersise there is lessons to do and get the mind and skills into the right place. This is only Light infantry, Armoured may include some sweeping of hangers and odd jobs on the wagons.

Transferring is technically a rather easy thing to do, however in practice it's really not, it's taken me nearly 18 month and a lot of running around and sorting stuff out.

Having worked with some infantry other than PT, not very much. If they are about to go on exersise there is lessons to do and get the mind and skills into the right place. This is only Light infantry, Armoured may include some sweeping of hangers and odd jobs on the wagons.
Which I believe will mean he will be bored out of his mind. I want him to be challenged and interested and develop skills that he can use in his life and any future career.

Which I believe will mean he will be bored out of his mind. I want him to be challenged and interested and develop skills that he can use in his life and any future career.
If he's absolutely dead set on a combat role, what about the RAC? Get LVL 2 in Enginnering quals, driving licences, and I'd say more interesting.

I would honestly try and get him to go for a trade, get treated better, better quals and more interesting. To be fair the chances of getting on a 2 way range is small, if he only does 4 years hell have no qualifications and maybe no even a driving licence.

It depends on a huge variety of factors but as anyone goes through their Army career all sorts of things are accredited now, add to that the extra education funding and funded degree places both full and part time the world is anyone's oyster who joins the Army

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Has he done his assessment centre cognitive tests yet? The score from that is a key criteria for which job roles would even be on offer

Has he done his assessment centre cognitive tests yet? The score from that is a key criteria for which job roles would even be on offer

Hi no not yet. Assessment centre is the next step. In his recent mocks he got 7,8 and even a 9, which are equivalent to A, B and A*. He was initially thinking of A level maths, physics and geography until the army became an option.

He's bright and needs to be pushed.

Once he has his confirmed GCSE grades that will determine part of if he can join the Royal Engineers or REME (certain trades require Maths, English and Science GCSEs)

His score on the cognitive tests will be a key part of what his options are for joining as a soldier.

Has he considered Welbeck, the Defence Sixth Form College?

We've looked at Wellbeck but he doesn't fancy it (plus there's a yearly fee). I also read about bullying/safeguarding issues there.

At 15 he doesn't realise how fast his life will go and before he knows it he will be leaving the army with no trade to use in civvy street.

You don't seem overly supportive if you don't mind me saying so. If it's what your son wants to do he will need more explicit support in his career

You also don't know if he'll do 3 years or 33 years in the Army.

If he doesn't want to do a levels, welbeck or the officer route and wants to get stuck in before he is 18 then AFC Harrogate it is.

Role wise once he had his cognitive score test have him look at what is open to him, there's no point aspiring to join a trade if his score doesn't allow him to apply for it.

At 15 he doesn't realise how fast his life will go and before he knows it he will be leaving the army with no trade to use in civvy street.
This x100

If he does well in his GCSE and likes to be challenged mentally, I think he'll be very bored in the infantry.

Does he know what the RE do? Get both a trade and also a Combat Engineer. Maybe this would fulfil his mine in being able to do the cool shooting stuff aswell.

We've looked at Wellbeck but he doesn't fancy it (plus there's a yearly fee). I also read about bullying/safeguarding issues there.

Also in terms of bullying/safeguarding issues having visited Welbeck a number of times their policies are almost identical to AFC Harrogate as they are both subject to Under 18 Safeguarding regulation and OFSTED etc... Both are very safe environments for under 18's to learn and be trained in military skills.

You don't seem overly supportive if you don't mind me saying so. If it's what your son wants to do he will need more explicit support in his career

You also don't know if he'll do 3 years or 33 years in the Army.

If he doesn't want to do a levels, welbeck or the officer route and wants to get stuck in before he is 18 then AFC Harrogate it is.

Role wise once he had his cognitive score test have him look at what is open to him, there's no point aspiring to join a trade if his score doesn't allow him to apply for it.

I am 100% behind him, as is his dad. I'm paying for a gym membership and we are in constant discussion about his choices.

I just don't want him to make the wrong decision. But as you say who knows how long he will be in for? I've read Harrogates Ofsted report and it's excellent- as a teacher I was impressed.

This x100

If he does well in his GCSE and likes to be challenged mentally, I think he'll be very bored in the infantry.

Does he know what the RE do? Get both a trade and also a Combat Engineer. Maybe this would fulfil his mine in being able to do the cool shooting stuff aswell.
What do the RE do? I think he needs a mixture of both to be honest - combat stuff and more hands on too.

What do the RE do? I think he needs a mixture of both to be honest - combat stuff and more hands on too.
They have loads of trades, check out the Army Jobs or Army Careers website. Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, all sorts of trades.

Does he have any idea or focus on what he might want to do in addition to the army/infantry aspect?

The Army can give people driving qualifications, trades, education and all sorts but it's easier if he has an idea and can focus on an area from the start

Very frustrating and slow process at the moment. Our GP has dragged their heels completing the medical paperwork on my sons application.

I've had to push for them to sort it out, after they insisted they hadn't been paid the fee - when they actually had. Phone calls backwards and forwards between the ACC and them have been so annoying.

The guys at our local ACC have been brilliant.

It also looks like the open day up in Harrogate on the 23rd March is massively over subscribed (I'm blaming RAw Recruits) so it doesn't look like he will get to that.

Very frustrating and slow process at the moment. Our GP has dragged their heels completing the medical paperwork on my sons application.

I've had to push for them to sort it out, after they insisted they hadn't been paid the fee - when they actually had. Phone calls backwards and forwards between the ACC and them have been so annoying.

The guys at our local ACC have been brilliant.

It also looks like the open day up in Harrogate on the 23rd March is massively over subscribed (I'm blaming RAw Recruits) so it doesn't look like he will get to that.

Hope you get it sorted soon I have to say we had a good experience with the recruitment side of it my son applied in September went to assessment centre in January and starts at Harrogate tomorrow morning. I am a nervous wreck he however is looking forward to it lol x